• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Straight Walled .30 cal cartridge

lennyo3034

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2010
USA
My county is opening firearms season to allow straight walled rifle cartridges. Previously it was shotguns and muzzleloader only.

I would like to hunt suppressed and have a TBAC Ultra 7 in .30 cal. Can anyone recommend a straight walled .30 caliber cartridge? Ranges will be up to 150 yards.

Must be straight walled so even the .30-30 doesn’t qualify.

350 Legend. Created specifically for this purpose and designed to fit in a small frame AR.

E02FA68D-ECA9-4C9E-B928-8DEF60CCEED2.jpeg

Looks like 30 carbine is your one of if not the only choice for a 30cal straight walled cartridge

I’d probably go with a mares leg lever action in 357 or 38. As a kid I remember watching Steve McQueen taking care of business with his. I don’t know how they shoot but it’s definitely a 10 on the cool factor.

• Love
Reactions: spife7980
Good excuse to buy another (bigger) suppressor.

Ohio is straight wall cartridges only also for deer rifles. .350 Legend and.450 Bushmaster are very popular in that role.

I wanted to hunt suppressed too, but couldn’t very well shoot a .35 or .45 bullet through my Sandman.

I built a suppressor on a form 1 for .450 Bushmaster, and had tax stamp in hand and can built before hunting season. Shot a doe with it on a 450BM and my daughter used it with a 350L on another doe.

Reactions: lash
The .327 Federal's name is stupid. It uses ~.313" projectiles which should be fine through a ".30" can. The question is, is it good enough for 150 yards.

Glancing at load data, the .30 Carbine has more case capacity and operates at about the same pressure as the .327, so ~1075 ftlb muzzle energy is about what you're going to get without pushing pressure, customizing throats, or wildcatting.

Reactions: SRPowah
30 Carbine in a converted 22Hornet bolt action rifle. Easy conversion.

The 30 Carbine works well to 200m+. Look for load data for TC Contender pistols used for Metallic Silhouette competition.

Thanks for the advice. I now have an urge to put a can on an M1 carbine.

Reactions: lash