• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Streamlight color temp comparison

DamnDave

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2009
California
UPDATE. I emailed Streamlight with a ton of pictures of the light, beamshots etc and they told me mine is 100% genuine. This is their response. "The color temperature range of the LED is the same for both products. The TLR-7 optic shifts the color temp to the warmer side as light passes through the optic material. The TLR-1 uses a reflector which does not shift color temperature."

Did Streamlight change the color temp of their lights or is it just because it is a different model? I have owned a TLR-1s (purchased when I was a Dealer) for a few years and am quite used to it. I just got a TLR-7a Flex (purchased on Amazon) and the color temp difference is night and day.

The TLR-7a looks genuine and it registered fine online. I am just always skeptical when buying anything on Amazon because of all the fakes out there.

Here are the 2 beam shots from 12" away. TLR-1s on the left TLR-7a Flex on the right.
52738135429_51ed78141f_c.jpg

Last edited:
A TLR-7 has distinctive packaging. Clamshell "drawer" slid into rigid plastic outer box, stapled manual with single-page key legend printed on both sides, small bag with tool and (2) jesus clips, Streamlight sticker, etc. Pretty hard to counterfeit with much success IMO.

I have the TLR-1 HL and 7a, mine look the same. I'd never buy something like that on amazon though.

Mine is the TLR-1s that I bought in 2016. The HL wasn't out yet. I emailed Streamlight, waiting to see what they say.

A TLR-7 has distinctive packaging. Clamshell "drawer" slid into rigid plastic outer box, stapled manual with single-page key legend printed on both sides, small bag with tool and (2) jesus clips, Streamlight sticker, etc. Pretty hard to counterfeit with much success IMO.

Mine has all that packaging. It definitely looks genuine. I was just in shock with the color temp difference between these models.

Mine is the TLR-1s that I bought in 2016. The HL wasn't out yet. I emailed Streamlight, waiting to see what they say.
Mine look the same as yours, the HL has more of a blue tint vs the 7's yellow. That 7a is bad ass for such a small light, fits perfect on a EZ .380.

Mine look the same as yours, the HL has more of a blue tint vs the 7's yellow. That 7a is bad ass for such a small light, fits perfect on a EZ .380.

They must have changed somewhere down the line then. I agree, I really like the 7a. I have it on my VP9 and it fits perfectly.

I bought a TLR7a late last year (from Midway IIRC) that looks more like the beam on the left of your pic. At least in color; the spot shape matches your TLR7a.

LED lights do vary a bit in color; I've got 3 or 4 TLR1s that are all slightly different colors, spread out across maybe 10 or more years of production I'd guess.

Given the present state of the global semiconductor manufacturing industry, I would not be the least bit surprised if Streamlight was told that it could choose between receiving parts with less-desirable color characteristics or not getting any parts at all.

I have a 7-A flex the beam looks like your 1s on the left...its white.