• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Streamlight for my AR...

Screenshot_20230107_120232_Gallery.jpg
streamlight hlx with cloud lcs and arisaka mount. For ~$200 all in pretty hard to beat.

I've had a TLR-1 on a mossberg 590 for over 10 years. I don't shoot it alot, but im sure it has 2000+ shells through it and 0 issues.

So tell me how it is different. The goal is the same either way, find, identify, and defeat the threat as quickly as possible. The firearm you would use would likely be the same, why wouldn't the light? There are methods for using a bright light in the single scenario you are hung up on, but there is absolutely no way to make a weaker light brighter when you need it. The op asked about a light for his AR for indoor and outdoor home defense. Yet you can't get past him shining it in his bathroom in the middle of the night.

Umm, do you know what the words proactive and reactive mean, and what that describes for these scenarios? Do you know the difference between breaking in a door ready to do business, and waking up in the middle of the night night trying to react to someone in your house?

He said indoor and outdoor HOME DEFENSE. Not tactical hunting of bad guys where you might need some longer distance light capabilities.
This is the problem with getting your education only from door kickers, and thinking it also applies to home defense, concealed carry, etc. It's not the same situations.

Umm, do you know what the words proactive and reactive mean, and what that describes for these scenarios? Do you know the difference between breaking in a door ready to do business, and waking up in the middle of the night night trying to react to someone in your house?

He said indoor and outdoor HOME DEFENSE. Not tactical hunting of bad guys where you might need some longer distance light capabilities.
This is the problem with getting your education only from door kickers, and thinking it also applies to home defense, concealed carry, etc. It's not the same situations.
You keep arguing even though you don't have an argument. All you're doing is pulling words out of your ass, deflecting, and answering questions with questions. I have given multiple reasons why a brighter light is beneficial and all you can do is question my vocabulary and put question marks on sentences. Oh and " dEr WhItE wAlL" maybe this dude likes dark colors in his house. Ok now go ahead and ask me what other words I know.

When I first started with a 6P, same thing, everyone was excited with the output. Batteries were 5-7 apiece and don't drop the light either! Now if you turn on a 60 lumen light, you wonder if is even working. I've done the work, taught the work and nothings worse than not having a light source or not enough light. I've attended Surefire's Low Light Class, if you follow their training, every "problem" the answer is to dominate with light. Keep this focused on white light, not thermal or NV, different world. For the most part, once you turn that light on, it's on. Like I said-most part. Carry two lights gents-there may be one poster or two that has been in a swamp chasing an armed felon and have a light fail.

OP-get the fire starter, learn good light tactics

Last edited:
Another thing to ponder-maybe I'm thick-if faced with a deadly threat indoors or out-does it matter who you are at that point?

Meaning if you are slower than my retarded ass, if you are team 6 qualed or a fat ass French fry eating chimp should your light be any different?

Reactions: Glock1943
When I first started with a 6P, same thing, everyone was excited with the output. Batteries were 5-7 apiece and don't drop the light either! Now if you turn on a 60 lumen light, you wonder if is even working. I've done the work, taught the work and nothings worse than not having a light source or not enough light. I'v attended Surefire's Low Light Class, if you follow their training, every "problem" the answer is to dominate with light. Keep this focused on white light, not thermal or NV, different world. For the most part, once you turn that light on, it's on. Like I said-most part. Carry two lights gents-there may be one poster or two that has been in a swamp chasing an armed felon and have a light fail.

OP-get the fire starter, learn good light tactics
I'm thick right there with ya, what's the fire starter?

I have the Streamlight Protac Rail Mount 1.
I want to attach the tape switch via MLOK.
I purchased the cloud defense mlok mount however the tape switch was too large to fit the Mount. Anyone know of a provider offering an Mlok mount to fit the slightly larger tape switch that comes with the Rail Mount 1?

I have the Streamlight Protac Rail Mount 1.
I want to attach the tape switch via MLOK.
I purchased the cloud defense mlok mount however the tape switch was too large to fit the Mount. Anyone know of a provider offering an Mlok mount to fit the slightly larger tape switch that comes with the Rail Mount 1?
If I’m not imagining it cloud makes a mount specifically for streamlight switches

this popped up in a search

Reactions: Stephen Bachiler
I guess I’ll continue the thread necromancy and opine a bit. Huge fan of having a white light on every long gun, even the ones I ise primarily for hunting with NIght Vision. Usually run a piggy-back white light on those, in addition to an IR laser and/or illuminator.

Gets heavy, especially hanging off the distal end of the weapon, but when you need a light, you flat need it. And other systems just don’t fit the same bill.

I have a couple Cloud Defensive lights..Rein and a Rein Micro. Great lights, but not a fan. I hate their proprietary activation switches, and don’t like that they don’t use a standard head mounting system so I can swap out different heads for different needs.

Here’s one of ‘em (middle upper missing its red dot in this pic)…the micro; just mounted it a couple weeks ago after swapping around accessories on my main pig guns:

IMG_5490.jpeg

The top one in that pic has a Modlite compatible head (18350/18650 architecture); again, not mounted in this pic. It’s sitting on another upper right now.

I’m slowly migrating away from Surefire and CR123 powered lights to dual fuel; mostly Modlite heads because I really like the extra throw I get with their OKW head (Candela is king for throw, not total lumen), and like the better balanced throw/spill from their PLHv2 head for general use where I don’t know if I’ll be taking shots at or beyond 100 yards or so.

The newer LEP heads out there are very interesting too. Will pick up one of Z Bolt’s heads with the Scout body adapter at some point this Winter to see if the hype is real.

I’m pretty heavily invested in Surefire dual IR/white light KM1s and KM2s though, and frankly prefer them for a HD gun (very balanced spill and throw), so I won’t be off that wagon any time soon.

For a generic light, I still love an Arisaka (or Reptilia) light body, with direct mount to my rail (vs pic rail and clamp), and use whatever head I need for that task. I almost exclusively use Surefire tailcaps, but have a couple Arisaka momentary switches on a couple rifles too..

I only have a couple with remote switches (besides the aforementioned Cloud Reins), and prefer Unity for that need.

Man, I wish someone made a generic tail cap/remote for those Cloud Defense lights...again, great light, and the interface/switch works just fine, but I hate not having the same (or at least very similar) control setups across all my working rifles.

edit: here’s a better pic of their permanently mounted, proprietary switch:

IMG_2888.jpeg

Reactions: Coffee_and_Pipes
Cloud Defense has 20% off as we speak, just picked up a Rein. I have a few Olights including a LEP for long range stuff but use a Crimson Trace CMR-301 for home defense on a 300 Blackout SBR. Has a built-in green laser and has high and low settings for the white light, up to 1000 lumens. I use the laser for a subsonic 25 yard zero for indoors and use an RDO for the supersonic zero. It's about 7oz. so not too heavy and it's a tidy package.

Don’t have any pics on hand of mine, but there’s channels machined into the underside of the LCS that the wire snuggly fits into. You can run a wire the full length or just one half the length and out of the center section with no clamping surface....if that makes sense

You can see it on their website, they also sell a kit with the light and the mount. It’s not cheap for what it is, but I have zero regrets buying one.

Did Cloud quit making the LCS? Your link goes to replacement screws and I'm not seeing it on their website. Maybe I'm just slow but I've looked through the product areas. I see replacement plates and screws but no LCS mount anywhere.

Did Cloud quit making the LCS? Your link goes to replacement screws and I'm not seeing it on their website. Maybe I'm just slow but I've looked through the product areas. I see replacement plates and screws but no LCS mount anywhere.
Google it and they are everywhere, I didn’t see them on the site but didn’t look real hard either

Reactions: atomic41