• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stripped Boyds tacticool stock?

TrapperJ

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2010
South FL
Has anyone stripped a Boyds Tacticool stock and refinished the laminations in a stain or natural color? I called Boyds and they said the plys are 1/16". I like the stock shape but would prefer a laminated wood look.
BTW.I picked up a "second" to practice my bedding technique before tackling my Rem. 700 AAC-SD in.308. My 18" cut and theaded CZ 453 varmint.22lr will be mounted in this stock after pillar and glass bedding.

Re: Stripped Boyds tacticool stock?

I haven't, but I'd like to see it when you did. It would be easy to go back to a color if you didn't like it

This question actually came to me yesterday, I would also like to know if anyone has done it. If it ends up looking alright I would do it in a heartbeat.

I just completed a free float of the barrel of my on my Savage TR. When I removed the black coating in the barrel channel you could see that it is definately a laminate stock. I do not believe quality blemish free wood is used in these though. I could see quite a few blemishes just in the barrel channel. I hope this helps..

J.Weber

i stripped mine down after getting it second hand with a horrible camo paint job attempt was done once i got it down to the wood i had thought about a satin poly it would have looked nice but i went ahead and repainted it with zolatone. mine had alot of gray in the wood looked something similar to this
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=403-015

it had that pepper color to it. i would hate to say go for it but if there was a need for repair or repaint i would just sand it all the way down and see. i am not sure if they use the same wood on all the stocks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coues103</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i stripped mine down after getting it second hand with a horrible camo paint job attempt was done once i got it down to the wood i had thought about a satin poly it would have looked nice but i went ahead and repainted it with zolatone. mine had alot of gray in the wood looked something similar to this
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/PhotoDetails.asp?ShowDESC=N&ProductCode=403-015

it had that pepper color to it. i would hate to say go for it but if there was a need for repair or repaint i would just sand it all the way down and see. i am not sure if they use the same wood on all the stocks </div></div>

If they all looked as good as that one, they would be a good candidate for some candy apple red or a tangerine orange.