• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stripped screw hole on my 10/22 ruger receiver

berto255

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Miami, Florida
I committed a capital sin! I stripped the second screw hole from the front. Can anyone please beat me up in the process of giving me advice on what to do?
cry.gif

Re: Stripped screw hole on my 10/22 ruger receiver

get a rimfire technologies base. they use 8/40 screws. just retap them all. other than that, its so thin...i hate to say JB Weld it, but you can tap that stuff for threads. i hate to say one hole shouldnt make a difference either, but... maybe bedding the base and three screws would be enough. the fine heli-coil kit only goes down to #10, then 1/4" next size up. maybe they make a smaller one, but i didnt see that listed. its so thin on top of the receiver, ive never used a heli-coil so i cant say

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah get the rimfire tech 20 moa Base. Youll need it anyway to get out there any reasonable range. Plus it has a sick cantilever on it. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a rimfire technologies base. they use 8/40 screws. just retap them all. other than that, its so thin...i hate to say JB Weld it, but you can tap that stuff for threads. i hate to say one hole shouldnt make a difference either, but... maybe bedding the base and three screws would be enough. the fine heli-coil kit only goes down to #10, then 1/4" next size up. maybe they make a smaller one, but i didnt see that listed. its so thin on top of the receiver, ive never used a heli-coil so i cant say</div></div>

Thanks. I'm going to order the base this week and try to find a gunsmith near my house to do the job. I asked if anyone knew a good gunsmith near my place but I guess all the gun lovers don't want to come to south florida. Q for u guys. If I'm mainly going to be shooting from 25 to maybe 100 yards, do I really need the 20MOA or can I do away with the 5 MOA?

You dont need a gunsmith, the holes are allready there for you in the reciever so scribing a straight line is nothing to worry about, its allready done. Just buy the tap at a hardware store, and make sure to get the corresponding #29 drill bit. Just ream the holes out with the #29 bit, oil the tap up and tap the new holes. The front hole will need to have the barrel removed to tap it all the way through.

All in all it takes about 10 minutes to complete the job. Make sure you put some gun oil on the tap threads to cut a nice thread. And clean the tap off between cuts.

Its a sick base though
smile.gif

get the 20moa. if you never need it, fine, if you do, you will have it. wont hurt anything. if you can find the tap, you can do it yourself. i got an 8/40 off ebay for $6 shipped. your holes are already indicated, you have one to practice on already. just stay as straight as possible and go slow. should be able to do it all with simple hand tools

lol, my mom called before i could hit post. i looked all over the place for an 8/40. grainger or mcmaster/carr will have them. but, Ebay is cheapest i have found. ill loan you mine as long as you send it back

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You dont need a gunsmith, the holes are allready there for you in the reciever so scribing a straight line is nothing to worry about, its allready done. Just buy the tap at a hardware store, and make sure to get the corresponding #29 drill bit. Just ream the holes out with the #29 bit, oil the tap up and tap the new holes. The front hole will need to have the barrel removed to tap it all the way through.

All in all it takes about 10 minutes to complete the job. Make sure you put some gun oil on the tap threads to cut a nice thread. And clean the tap off between cuts.

Its a sick base though
smile.gif

</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get the 20moa. if you never need it, fine, if you do, you will have it. wont hurt anything. if you can find the tap, you can do it yourself. i got an 8/40 off ebay for $6 shipped. your holes are already indicated, you have one to practice on already. just stay as straight as possible and go slow. should be able to do it all with simple hand tools

lol, my mom called before i could hit post. i looked all over the place for an 8/40. grainger or mcmaster/carr will have them. but, Ebay is cheapest i have found. ill loan you mine as long as you send it back</div></div>

Man you guys are speaking chinese #29 ,8/40 all that stuff is french. I wish I knew what you guys are talking about but I dont. I appreciate all the collaboration but I'm gonna have to get professional help LOL. U guys like the base, so the 20 MOA it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: berto255</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....Man you guys are speaking chinese #29 ,8/40 all that stuff is french. I wish I knew what you guys are talking about but I dont. I appreciate all the collaboration but I'm gonna have to get professional help LOL. U guys like the base, so the 20 MOA it is. </div></div>

Click the pic for the link:

Order the " KIT " with the rail, it has everything you need.

The #29 drill bit and the 8-32 tap is included. The install is VERY easy, re-drill the holes in your receiver with the drill bit, then re-tap the holes with the supplied tap in the kit. Apply LocTite to the screw threads that come with the rail, line the rail up with the holes and torque the screws to 28in pounds.

cool.gif

one of the ways that some of us are more able to afford and take ownership of the stuff that we do is alot of us do it ourself. drill bits usually come in 1/8" 3/16" 1/4" inch and so on. on the opposite end getting smaller, sizes are refered to in a numbered manner. like screws in the hardeare store you see smaller screws listed as #10 #8 #6 and so on. as mentioned, doing this yourself will cost you the price of the kit. much less than the gunsmith im sure. use a drill. most everybody has a battery powered rechargable drill/driver. if you dont, this is a good time to get one. drill out the holes keeping the drill bit straight up and down. its very easy. a pair or pliers or vise grips will hold the tap firmly if you dont have tap handles. like i said, i will loan you a tap and a handle if you need one. its not high dollar stuff, but it will work. its this easy...

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/veO270DcKXE"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/veO270DcKXE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

just let me know. it will only cost you return postage. oh, 8/40 is the hole size and thread count. 40 threads per inch i believe. 6/48 is smaller and has 48 threads per inch. and it may mot be inch, but i think it is

run to your local auto parts and buy a tap and die set

i would bet it doesnt have a 8/40 or 6/48 in it. i cant swear to it, but i looked all over the hardware, harbor freight, even grainger didnt have it locally. i have a kit like that and its got a lot of stuff, but in the auto world 8/40 isnt used as far as i know, or 6/48. its a fine thread and a gunsmith specific type of thing. but i could be wrong. just check first. in 8 years, ive only used the handle once. but ive never used any of the taps or dies, odd sizes

Midway has 8-40 taps for about $5 as well as an 8-40 tap & drill bit set. As mentioned, a cheap-ish set (such as from an auto parts place) will almost never include 8-40.