• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stuck bolt

Cleaning between bullet types has absolutely nothing to do with it.

sticky bolt lift is a huge red flag that indicates excessive chamber pressure.

1. I would stop using that ammo immediately.
2. have a gunsmith take a look at the rifle or call a Savage if it is a factory barrel. If it is a factory barrel it is their problem to solve, not yours.

-TH

This is the best advice in the entire thread. All the symptoms point to a headspace issue and if you don't have a set of go/nogo/field gauges and know how to use them, a smith needs to check that rifle, the chamber dimensions specifically.
Until you know how the rifle is headspaced and you know the dimensions of the ammo, you are chasing your tail. A micrometer type case guage will give you the exact headspace dimension on the case. They run about $50 apiece. I didn't think I needed them until I started using then.
With what I read here, I don't suspect the ammo. Too many other variables to look at first.

OP spends a whole day shooting Fiocchi with no issues, only has issues with Nosler ammo. At what point did it become a defective gun? Also of note, OP took the rifle to a gunsmith to have it checked out.
It didnt become a defective gun, it just has over pressure nosler ammo which isnt a rare occurrence. Cleaning the barrel isnt gonna change that.

It didnt become a defective gun, it just has over pressure nosler ammo which isnt a rare occurrence. Cleaning the barrel isnt gonna change that.

I knew the gun wasn't defective, that wasn't my point. In recommending cleaning it had as much to do with the possibility of a carbon ring as anything else.

Well damn, I'm getting all kinds of ideas and input here. I appreciate everyone for the help. At this point I think I'm just gonna stay away from the Nosler. I have a box and federal and 2 boxes of Hornady match. I'll kinda just cross my fingers trying these rounds out and see how it goes. The gunsmith did say they test fired it with no problems. I didn't get that casing back so we'll never know unless it happens again. Either way I've learned alot from this experience and coming on here.

On a side note, I just bought my first spotting scope on govx.com. Went with the Vortex viper HD 20-60x85 angled. Things huge but I don't hunt.

Well damn, I'm getting all kinds of ideas and input here. I appreciate everyone for the help. At this point I think I'm just gonna stay away from the Nosler. I have a box and federal and 2 boxes of Hornady match. I'll kinda just cross my fingers trying these rounds out and see how it goes. The gunsmith did say they test fired it with no problems. I didn't get that casing back so we'll never know unless it happens again. Either way I've learned alot from this experience and coming on here.

On a side note, I just bought my first spotting scope on govx.com. Went with the Vortex viper HD 20-60x85 angled. Things huge but I don't hunt.

as a parting shot I will say that I had a Springfield 1911 that would not chamber some brands of factory ammo. I sent it back to Springfield and they said there was an issue with the chamber but they fixed it and sent it back. Now it works flawlessly.

it may be worth pursuing in your case also. All factory rifles and ammo should be compatible.

Reactions: clcustom1911
I'll mention this because nobody else has. Not saying this is the problem, but may be worth investigating.

I had a Savage for a while and experienced something similar.

I would need to pound the bolt out with a 2x4.

I posted over on Accurate Shooter and found that there were some Savage Rifles that were having a problem with primary extraction.

Primary extraction should open the bolt somewhere between .050" and .080"

If it's less than that, your brass can get stuck in the chamber, as you're seeing.

I know I'm late to the game here, but I have a Savage 110 tactical, and the chamber in it is tight.. Has no problems with factory .308, but it won't even come close to closing the bolt on a 7.62x51.

Clean your chamber with a chamber brush , make sure to get the neck clean. Put the nosler Ammo on the shelf. Get some FGMM in 175. Live la vida loca!