• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Student expelled for having unloaded guns...

kchu02

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2008
College Station, TX
Student expelled for having unloaded shotguns in truck (not on school property)

WILLOWS -- The Willows Unified School District board of trustees has expelled a 16-year-old for having unloaded shotguns in his pickup parked just off the Willows High School campus.

The board voted 4-0 Thursday to expel junior Gary Tudesko after the weapons were discovered via scent-sniffing dogs on Oct. 26. Board Vice President Alex Parisio abstained from the discussion and vote because he is related to Tudesko's family.

Expulsion hearings are normally held in closed sessions, but affected students and their parents can request a public hearing.

Susan Parisio defended her son during the 105-minute public hearing at Willows Civic Center. She acknowledged that Tudesko was lazy for not storing the shotguns at home after a morning of bird hunting, but she questioned the district's ability to enforce its policies off Willows High School property.

"My son was not even parked on school property," Parisio said.

Willows High Principal Mort Geivett and other district officials did not appear to dispute that the parking space was off school property, but they cited several justifications. One of them was the legal doctrine of in loco parentis — where school officials may act in place of a parent for school functions.

Geivett said the school was responsible for students traveling to and from school as well as during lunch. He said he believed that students should not possess weapons within 1,000 feet of campus.

Geivett said he believed off-campus parking around the school was under the school's jurisdiction, in part because it is primarily used by students.

"I'm erring on the safe side of protecting staff and kids," he said.

The incident began on Oct. 26 when scent-sniffing dogs detected something in a pickup on the street north of the tennis courts on West Willow Street. A Willows police officer did a search of the license plate and traced the pickup to Tudesko.

Tudesko came out to the vehicle and said there were two shotguns and shells in the pickup. He opened his vehicle for a search, which revealed the guns on the rear seat as well as a knife with a 3-inch blade. The police held the weapons and the school suspended Tudesko for five days, which was later extended indefinitely until Thursday's hearing.

Geivett said the Education Code requires the school pursue expulsion, when a student is in possession of a firearm, knife or explosive without written permission from the school. He said he was concerned for the safety of students and staff.

"Gary should've known better than to come to campus with guns in his truck," Geivett said.

In addition to the Education Code, the Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995 bars possession of firearms within 1,000 feet of a school, but there are exceptions for private property and for lawful transportation of non-concealable weapons.

Parisio said her son was raised in a family that has always owned guns.

"We have always, always stressed that safety is important," she said.

Parisio revisited the searches that uncovered the guns. She noted the canine search found two additional vehicles that resulted in the discovery of live ammunition.

Parisio compared the ammo to explosives — which is also covered by the mandatory expulsion law — and asked why there weren't expulsion hearings for those students.

In addition, one of the shotguns in Tudesko's pickup belonged to a friend who rode to school with Tudesko. Parisio asked why the school didn't punish this student as well.

"Selective enforcement in of itself is wrong," Parisio said.

Before the end of the session, Tudesko spoke briefly. He apologized for his actions and said he wanted to be on time for school. Tudesko said he believed it was all right to park on a public street with the unloaded weapons.

After the hearing, several school board members declined to comment on their decision.

Parisio said she will appeal the district's decision to the Glenn County Board of Education. If the decision is upheld and her son is sent to a continuation school, Parisio said she would likely home-school Tudesko.

http://www.chicoer.com/news/ci_13831318

Re: Student expelled for having unloaded guns...

I have lived with in the 50 feet of of a school on private property for a year or so. It is a shame what they are doing today in schools. Gone are the days when you were able to bring your rifle for .22 target practice on campus. Those were the days. Of course there no school shootings in those days. I wonder why that is?

kn

Another nice little can of worms just got opened here...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kchu02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Student expelled for having
Geivett said the school was responsible for students traveling to and from school as well as during lunch.....
http://www.chicoer.com/news/ci_13831318 </div></div>

Sooooo...... if a student is driving to/from school and does something stupid/irresponsible and has an accident and hurts/kills someone, the school is responsible for them? This principal and school board are total morons. How long until this statement bites 'em in the ass?

I can see the school districts side of things. With all the college and school shootings that have went on I can see why they went this way. They dont know if this student has a grudge to bear with someone on campus.
I thought here in the states you had to be 18 to be in lawfull possesion of a shotgun/rifle. If so why was this student be allowed to transport them in his car by his parents?

I know some of you may think that the school was over zealous in their actions, but what if the student was pissed at someone and shot staff and students.
I for one would prefer them to be over zealous over weapons and keeping my kids safe at school.

Mac

Yeah just wanted to share something that was on another forum type site that I was on

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can see the school districts side of things. With all the college and school shootings that have went on I can see why they went this way. They dont know if this student has a grudge to bear with someone on campus.</div></div>

Absolutely. Recently, an eight-year-old was expelled for pointing a toy gun at a person while walking home from school. Thanks to the schools "zero tolerance" policy, a potential tragedy has been prevented.

Do you really believe a Gun Free Zone law would have stopped anyone from acting on a grudge?

Mac, I have no problem with the investigation. I have significant ones with the outcome. When the investigation revealed no criminal plot, a little curb side justice should have taken place. "Go home and put your struff away and come back." Im sick and tired of punishments being enacted on the extrapolation of what a criminal could have done, not what the case is and what actually happened.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With all the college and school shootings that have went on I can see why they went this way. They dont know if this student has a grudge to bear with someone on campus.</div></div>

Huh: Does that mean if I have a car I should be arrested because I COULD DRIVE DRUNK. Does that mean since I have guns I should be arrrsted because I COULD GO NUTS AND SHOOT MY NEIGHBORS?

Sorry I want to live in a country that punishes for what you do (criminally) not what you could do. Sorry but that's a dumb arguement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought here in the states you had to be 18 to be in lawfull possesion of a shotgun/rifle. If so why was this student be allowed to transport them in his car by his parents?</div></div>

NO, Under federal law you have to be 18 to BUY a gun, not to own or possess. Kids can have guns, they can go hunting alone, they can carry guns in the vehicles (except in school) At least in this state. For big game hunting, those under 14 have to have an licensed hunter 18 or over with them, but 14-18 is can and do carry guns and carry them in their vehicles like anyone else. I dont believe they should be punished because they MIGHT do something.

I think a parent knows more whether his kid is responsible enough
to own and carry guns, not some moron in DC, who has never met my kids.

We can send 17=20 year old kids to war with mutil million dollar weapons systems but can't trust them to have a gun in their vehicle when they get home is totally stupid, beyond stupid. All my boys (I have 4) except one thats disabled are either in the miltary or have been. I started them young, I wanted them to have a heads up in the weapons department before they went, so they had guns and carried them at an early age, and they havent shot up any schools.

Sorry for the rant but this 18 +/- arnt responsible BS gets my goat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottishtornado</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I know some of you may think that the school was over zealous in their actions, but what if the student was pissed at someone and shot staff and students.
</div></div>

Then he would have done so.
Recent studies indicate that homicidal maniacs do not typically abide by the rules.

Another nail in the coffin of liberty.

a couple years ago here locally...i kiddo got expelled from school because a plastic butter knife was found in the bed of his pick-up.....from a weekend picnic......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottishtornado</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

Then he would have done so.
Recent studies indicate that homicidal maniacs do not typically abide by the rules. </div></div>

If I make a rule saying no firearms allowed, you are saying bad guys will not stop at the door and proceed in to do harm? WOW, that is crazy thinking right there!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a couple years ago here locally...i kiddo got expelled from school because a plastic butter knife was found in the bed of his pick-up.....from a weekend picnic...... </div></div>

That's some F**KING bullsh**********t! Are these people retarded!
mad.gif

Man, it is ridiculous how clueless legislators address the public hysteria happening after tragic events like school shootings and such.
Like if a disturbed kid ready to mass murder a bunch of his peers, and commit suicide soon after, gives a flying fsck about a school law that does not allow him to drive on school property with weapons. Or carry, for what matters.

Does anyone else find the use of shotshell sniffing dogs to determine whether vehicles have weapons or ammo in them to be somewhat alarming, or the fact that the officers were compelled to search this vehicle because the dog smelled a shotshell?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone else find the use of shotshell sniffing dogs to determine whether vehicles have weapons or ammo in them to be somewhat alarming, or the fact that the officers were compelled to search this vehicle because the dog smelled a shotshell? </div></div>

The dog is trained to smell explosives doesn’t matter if it's shot shells or a bomb the dog doesn’t know, the dog just alerts to explosives.

That being said the truck being off school grounds with no other probable cause I believe the school and the cops may have a problem if the family chooses to pursue this, but then again like any news or internet report very rarely is the entire story known.

I'm sure the administration is is just absolutely loving their power trip. This is a a wet dream to those people.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kids can have guns, they can go hunting alone, they can carry guns in the vehicles (except in school) At least in this state.</div></div>

Thank god we live where we do Kraig, that's all I can say.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30calsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What happened to common sense anyway? Havnt seen it in a while..... </div></div>

It's not very common.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30calsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What happened to common sense anyway? Havnt seen it in a while..... </div></div>

She left... along with personal responsibility.

We have a bunch of nitwits running our schools.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 500grains</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have a bunch of nitwits running our schools.</div></div>

+ 1

The date for Gary Tudesko's Appeal <span style="font-weight: bold">Hearing has been changed to Tuesday, January 19th at 10am.</span> This will be posted on the Glenn County Office of Education site tomorrow.

***This is is breaking information***

Please forward it to any one you know who was planning on attending the hearing on Friday, the 10th. The GCOE link is below. Thank you.

http://www.glenncoe.org/__admin/Board.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Geivett said the school was responsible for students traveling to and from school as well as during lunch.</div></div>

^This.

I certainly don't agree with it, but it's the sad reality. During school hours, the school IS responsible for their students even if they are off campus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maser</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Geivett said the school was responsible for students traveling to and from school as well as during lunch.</div></div>

^This.

I certainly don't agree with it, but it's the sad reality. During school hours, the school IS responsible for their students even if they are off campus. </div></div>

Why? I spent many hours I was supposed to be at school doing things I wasn't supposed to be doing. You mean when I was caught, I should have blamed the school?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone else find the use of shotshell sniffing dogs to determine whether vehicles have weapons or ammo in them to be somewhat alarming, or the fact that the officers were compelled to search this vehicle because the dog smelled a shotshell?</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> That being said the truck being off school grounds with no other probable cause I believe the school and the cops may have a problem if the family chooses to pursue this, but then again like any news or internet report very rarely is the entire story known. </div></div>

Just walking by the vehicle, and the K-9 throwing a change on the vehicle is enough PC to warrant...

Like you pretty much said earlier... The dog doesn't know the difference between a container of gunpowder and a box of rounds.

If the dog throws a change on a scent he is trained to detect, then that is all the reason to search. The dog is the neutral party.

I DO find it odd however that they just happen to conduct a patrol around there with an explosives dog and he hit on the truck. Don't know the SOP of the K-9's there, but I don't really see that being standard. Maybe an officer saw something in plain view, then called in the K-9 or something... Either way, they weren't in the wrong by any means.

The administrators in a lot of schools are going over board with their perceived power. Just do a google search and see how many kids have been suspended or expelled for drawing a gun, having aspirin.

Locally we had a young teen expelled because she had a pair of nail clippers on school property. The administrators said it could have been used to harm other students by scratching them.

There have even been kids suspended for pointing their fingers at eachother like a gun while playing cops and robbers. example And yet another

All these are the result of the term "Zero Tolerance". That policy removes the administrators responsibility to treat our children as individuals as well as giving them the ability to not think and apply the policies on a case by case basis, which is how it should be.

We won't even get into the liberal agenda with our kids.

Dolomite

Seeing this makes me want to dust all the cars in the parking lot with some old gunpowder. A few granuals of fresh ball powder on every car in the lot ought to make the dog go into shock
smile.gif

Zero tolerance is insane. I hope these people destroy that school board.

Word on the street (other forums) say the boy being expelled stole some high end decoys from a public official. Looks like this is the 'legal' way of getting back at him. Don't know that to be true, just sayin...

The school board is flexing its "muscles", and a poor young hunter gets the pointy end of the stick. So much for the gold ol' days. "A country boy can survive"