• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stupid plastic gas cans

Porksboy

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Jul 10, 2019
    I need good quality gas cans that dont have the stupid anti splash spouts that spalsh everywhere.
    I have some plastic of various sizes that I have tossed the "safety" spout on and down graded to the ones that dont have the built in vent.
    The plastic only lasts so long and I want some steel ones.
    Im thinking like a Jerry can. 5-8 gallons, would consider 10. I can transfer to smaller ones for out in the field.
    Who makes quality ones without raping me on price?

I need good quality gas cans that dont have the stupid anti splash spouts that spalsh everywhere.
    I have some plastic of various sizes that I have tossed the "safety" spout on and down graded to the ones that dont have the built in vent.
    The plastic only lasts so long and I want some steel ones.
    Im thinking like a Jerry can. 5-8 gallons, would consider 10. I can transfer to smaller ones for out in the field.
    Who makes quality ones without raping me on price?

Buy this:

Then add on:

Sorry but you have to buy both parts separately because politicians here suck.

Up here in Canuckiastania we have the "new and improved" Plastic version of those items (linked above) and the Jerry Can's themselves sell for 80 bucks each. The nozzle (donkey-dong) sells for either 30 or 40 bucks each.

By far, the best jerry can's I've ever had or used,,,, but damn are they pricey. All my Scepter and Wedco cans are up on shelves in the attic of the garage, now.

And no, I personally haven't bought a single one of these.... they've all been given to me as gifts over the years. Very appreciated gifts.
    I see now with this latest link, that the can itself is $90 bucks. Wow.

And now they're wanting $50 bucks for these.

Believe me, I'm very glad for the ones we have and use because the gas FLOWS so quickly and effortlessly. Spills are practically non-existent. By-far the best ones I've ever used over the decades, but you'd think they made 'em out of gold. I wouldn't mind a few more but it'll be a while before I can/will even THINK of spending that kinda dough on something like this.

They also have:
    For ONLY $60 bucks each.

Go to Ace Hardware, and they sell kits to convert the new politically correct cans back to the high flow type.

I was fortunate enough to buy a bunch of the older (new) pre-CARB fuel cans that were on sale at a Surplus Store. I also got a couple Canadian Scepter cans before people knew how good they are, and before the price skyrocketed.

Last edited:
    I get that mellinials are handicapped by their age, but I must be either the only person that has bought “modern” gas cans that function, or the only genXer or older that had figured out how to use them. For those that can’t use the plastic gas cans, ask your [grand] kids why your VCR blinks 12:00…

I like both of these types. Eagle has multiple different designs, depending on your needs.

Attachments

• 32133192-934D-4899-AF1F-65D50D2A7875.png
      32133192-934D-4899-AF1F-65D50D2A7875.png
      770.7 KB · Views: 71
    • 89F352E1-4C69-41CC-B0C5-0B15DD75402A.png
      89F352E1-4C69-41CC-B0C5-0B15DD75402A.png
      1 MB · Views: 75
    Reactions: mtrmn
    Best ones are the VP Racing 5 gallon jugs. My local hardware store sells em for around 35 bucks. Multiple colors available. I've got 2 red ones for gas, 2 yellow for diesel, and a white one for water
    Edit: Just realized you were looking for metal ones. I haven't broken a VP jug yet, they're pretty heavy duty

no-spill-jill...

Thats the go to for me. Available at Tractor Supply.

Reactions: billt
    I get that mellinials are handicapped by their age, but I must be either the only person that has bought “modern” gas cans that function, or the only genXer or older that had figured out how to use them. For those that can’t use the plastic gas cans, ask your [grand] kids why your VCR blinks 12:00…

It's a generational thing. It's not that we can't use them, but we boomers grew up with the knowledge that spilling gasoline or using a hairdryer in the shower could be dangerous. We didn't even have warnings on laundry detergent boxes. Post generations require much more protection from themselves.

Or maybe you only use your modern gas can to fill your lawn mower on Saturdays. The non spilling spout doesn’t last long with a lot of use. I used up two at the mine in a month years ago, and haven’t bought one sense.
    VP racing jugs last.

Or maybe you only use your modern gas can to fill your lawn mower on Saturdays. The non spilling spout doesn’t last long with a lot of use. I used up two at the mine in a month years ago, and haven’t bought one sense.
    VP racing jugs last.
    I fill the weed eater too… Anyway, your VCR does blink 12:00, doesn’t it?

I was filling my tractor today and got pissed at the spout. Time for some new ones.

And as far as I understand the "modern" gas cans, or at least the spouts, arent about "not spilling" its about trapping the vapors in the can while the can is stored. The downside to a non-vented can is they pour like absolute dog shit.

Ok I just watched no spill jills video and yes I bet she has never spilled a drop. But having to hold a fucking button down the entire time you are filling is beyond fucked. Go with the vp jugs, yes they are plastic BUT they are an extremely thick plastic they will last a lifetime if kept out of the sun.

Buy this:

Then add on:

Sorry but you have to buy both parts separately because politicians here suck.
    I have four of these (Valpro but same thing). Two ride in my pickup always.
    B77BB4FE-D98A-4729-A056-8FD857AABDEF.jpeg

Take my word on this, THIS is the nozzle you want:

That one with the plastic flex nozzle is the spawn of satan.......

Reactions: W54/XM-388
    I have to admit, I too have never heard of the "No Spill Jill" and for the lawnmower that My Lady uses, that sort of jug would be right up her alley! One doesn't need to heft-about a 20 litre gas can, to fill a 1.25 litre lawnmower.

Reactions: billt and Holliday
    I have to admit, I too have never heard of the "No Spill Jill" and for the lawnmower that My Lady uses, that sort of jug would be right up her alley! One doesn't need to heft-about a 20 litre gas can, to fill a 1.25 litre lawnmower.
    Just about perfect to fill the tiny fuel reservoir on a weed eater too. But beware, boomers can't figure out how to use them. I mean, who the hell puts a BUTTON on a can?

Just installed one of these on a plastic can with venting issues. Works great.

Put one on a RTIC water jug too.

Attachments

• D14C2BC3-5404-4CFF-BD2F-516707D95435.jpeg
      D14C2BC3-5404-4CFF-BD2F-516707D95435.jpeg
      332.8 KB · Views: 94
    • A118E831-9A3E-4FA5-B9C7-1A8F5C27FE96.jpeg
      A118E831-9A3E-4FA5-B9C7-1A8F5C27FE96.jpeg
      339.9 KB · Views: 57
    Ok I just watched no spill jills video and yes I bet she has never spilled a drop. But having to hold a fucking button down the entire time you are filling is beyond fucked.

I have 2 5 gallon no-spill's I use for my zero turn. Holding the button down isnt a big deal really. Just a little spring tension on it.

Your grandkids, and maybe your kids, are going to ask what a VCR is and call you "old" or some derivative thereof.

Reactions: camocorvette
    why your VCR blinks 12:00…
    I dunno about other folks born in the 90s (or after) but mine blinks 12:00 because I don't give enough of a fuck if it tells the correct time or not.

Hell my actual digital alarm clock still hasn't been reset from the last power outage weeks ago; why bother when I have a mechanical clock that doesn't shit itself each time the power blips?

I dunno about other folks born in the 90s (or after) but mine blinks 12:00 because I don't give enough of a fuck if it tells the correct time or not.

Hell my actual digital alarm clock still hasn't been reset from the last power outage weeks ago; why bother when I have a mechanical clock that doesn't shit itself each time the power blips?
    I use a sun dial but I usually late for functions if they are after dark.

Reactions: EddieNFL and mtrmn
    yep hit the dirt bike/atv stores (the VP ones above and related ones). plastic but they really last, super easy to fill and pour.

Reactions: Major Wader
    Biggest problem (among MANY problems) I have with the new, save the environment gas cans. the spouts are so poorly designed that they literally blast gasoline out of the can when a fellow finally gets the things to open. Fortunately, I have three old style cans and keep replacing the filler caps with extra end caps included in bicycle handlebar wrapping tape packages.

Works great Less Spilling :D (than that junk we are forced to accept currently)

I just use a funnel. Diesel for tractor, gas for whatever. Just pour it in and stop before it gets to full.

Another fan of the No-Spill here. I have 2 of them. They work great for what 95% of the people need them for. Lawn mowers, generators, chain saws, weed eaters, power blowers. These items don't have 26 gallon gas tanks, that need to be filled in 3.8 seconds.

And most people don't feel like lifting 7 gallon cans full of fuel. If I have something that requires that much gas, I'll drive it to the station, and stick a nozzle in it.

For fuel I use the Scepter 5.3 Gallon RV Gas Can and when I fill something I remove their safety spout and use the Scepter Gas Can Spout, 03629,. It allows a relatively smooth flow of fuel without air locking. Pep Boys typically had the best prices on them when I purchased them. I keep a quantity of fuel at all times, with Sta-Bil added, and every month rotate some quantity so nothing is older than 6 months.

For water I use the Scepter 5 Gallon Military Water Container. They also have the fuel version of this container. The cans are tough enough to be stacked without deforming. I have had these cans for years and they are tough.

Ok Fudd if you were that concerned about the environment you would be all electric. Ya if you are putting a pint of gas in your weedwhacker thats fine. Try putting 6 gallons in a desert tank.

No idea WTF you're trying to say.

I have both the Eagle and Justrite gas cans. I prefer the Justrite because the valve you open to let the gas flow is much easier to use.

I recommend the 1/2 inch nozzle if you fuel a newer car or truck without a gas cap. Sometimes the nozzles get stuck on the larger nozzles.

They are a little pricey but I have had mine for over 15 years and the only problem is I have scuffed a lot of paint off of them. YMMV.
    1629156587773.png

Reactions: Holliday
    I have both the Eagle and Justrite gas cans. I prefer the Justrite because the valve you open to let the gas flow is much easier to use.

I recommend the 1/2 inch nozzle if you fuel a newer car or truck without a gas cap. Sometimes the nozzles get stuck on the larger nozzles.

They are a little pricey but I have had mine for over 15 years and the only problem is I have scuffed a lot of paint off of them. YMMV.
    View attachment 7686076

This, I bought mine used -- had them about 20 years now and they were probably 20 years old when I bought them.

Buy once, cry once.

Get the red plastic one with good nozzle and no vent. Then drill and tap the handle where the vent should be and use a bolt for a cork in your new vent hole.