• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stupid question about recoil: 1 cartridge vs another

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
Alright - don't throw stuff at me, but... I searched to find the "stupid marksmanship" forum without success.

My gut is saying yes to my question, but I'm defering to the experts here on the Hide.

So here goes:

Will recoil be equal in 2 different cartridges/calibers if:

1. The rifle is exactly the same - stock, weight, etc.
2. The same powder and charge is used: example H4350 44.2 grains
3. The same bullet weight is used with roughly the same desgin - i.e. eld vs eld or Nosler BT etc.

Example:

6.5 creed shooting 130 vs 270 shooting 130 - using H4350 at 42 grains - won't they both have equal recoil energy?

6.5 creed shooting 100gr vs 6 creed shooting 100gr - using H4350 42 grains - same recoil?

So, what I'm getting at - within reason - bore diameter aside recoil will be equal as long as bullet weight and charge are the same.

Thanks

Should be too close to matter

after I got addicted to the low recoil on my 6cm I started loading lighter bullets in my 6.5cm and it definitely made a noticeable difference

well_yes_but_actually_no_meme-e1550594965387.jpg

Velocity is part of the recoil factor, as is the length of barrel required to get that velo. A 16" barrel and launching a 130gr @2850fps will be different that a 26" barrel for the same result.

A car wanting to get to 60km/h. You can put the pedal down and do it as fast as possible, or you can ease it on over 1/4 mile strip and do it really softly.

Also look into case capacity. There was discussion on a thread previously about velocity change via seating depth. The tiny change that the seating depth can produce to initial start pressure, will effect down range (end of barrel) performance.

Summary is: yes, but the average shooter can not feel it. It does take lots of experience of a variety of cartridges to "feel" such things. Most people can't even feel the difference between 130 and 140gr in a creedmoor, or a soft load with a 100fps drop in velo from a dud powder charge.

I thought I read something to do with shoulder angle effecting recoil?

My feather weight 270 has a hard recoil impulse with 135g bullets.
It carries nicely.

This was my first thought too. Take a water hose for example. If you turn the hose on there will be a reaction when water shoots out the end of the hose. Now if you put a jet nozzle on the end of the hose, even if you turn the water to where the exact same volume of water is flowing the effect will be different.

Which one will be more or less is up for discussion, but I definitely think cartridge design will make a difference.

Whether or not that difference will be significant in the way of recoil is also to be determined.

No. The resulting pressures in those combos dont produce equal velocities, therefore recoil would be way off. For example, the 270 will be making very little pressure with 42 grains in that large combustion space. It’ll be dog slow. The 6.5 creedmoor will be making a good bit more pressure, as well as velocity and recoil.

In your 6/6.5 example, the 6mm should make more pressure, be faster, and have more recoil. In this example you cant simply set “bore diameter aside”, because the actual bore area between them greatly affects how pressure builds. Theres also the competing issue with the added bore area of the 6.5. If pressures were equal, the 6.5 would be faster, and have more recoil. This comparison is much closer, and I think the shooter would have a hard time telling the difference.

Last edited:

My feather weight 270 has a hard recoil impulse with 135g bullets.
It carries nicely.

Total recoil, or felt recoil?

I've shot stupid guns with way too much drop in way to large a caliber that wanted to lift the barrel to the moon and drive you down. They felt stupid, and weren't fun to shoot at all.
Similar calibers in a well designed chassis that pushes straight back doesn't feel nearly as bad. Still moves you, but isn't trying to pivot at the wrist and rip you around with it.

The recoil energy is there, but how it feels can be wildly different between different stocks.

Reactions: VargmatII
Standard winchester m 70 feather weight with a pencil barrel and lamminent stock.

It's good for 2 shots on a dime then walks. It kicks hard for a 270.
It's doing the job it was bought for my sons use it when they need to climb up steep stuff.

I'm to old for that crap and don't really care about trophies much.
Content to drop culls in easy access spots with milder cartridge.

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
No they will not be the same. Recoil is not instantaneous. Since different cartridges produce different pressure 'waves' if you will and the powder charge is stacked differently (270 being more like 30-06--long narrow, 6.5 being more stumpy) the force to the bullet is different, and the force back on you will be different.

I don't know if it is enough to be felt, but the recoil will be different.

But your point about 'within reason' is tough to quantify.

Myself cannot tell the difference between different calibers like 308 and 6.5. Nor shooting a 175 gr vs shooting 220 grain in 300 Win Mag. Other people have said they can feel the heavier bullets.

I cannot tell 9 mm from 45 in (fullsize) handguns, but that begs the question 'What would a reasonable person feel'?

I know people who prefer 380 over 9 mm, but to me a 380 is more 'snappy' due to blowback design. (different cartitrides, different designs). It all way too subjective about what someone 'feels'

Alright - don't throw stuff at me, but... I searched to find the "stupid marksmanship" forum without success.

My gut is saying yes to my question, but I'm defering to the experts here on the Hide.

So here goes:

Will recoil be equal in 2 different cartridges/calibers if:

1. The rifle is exactly the same - stock, weight, etc.
2. The same powder and charge is used: example H4350 44.2 grains
3. The same bullet weight is used with roughly the same desgin - i.e. eld vs eld or Nosler BT etc.

Example:

6.5 creed shooting 130 vs 270 shooting 130 - using H4350 at 42 grains - won't they both have equal recoil energy?

6.5 creed shooting 100gr vs 6 creed shooting 100gr - using H4350 42 grains - same recoil?

So, what I'm getting at - within reason - bore diameter aside recoil will be equal as long as bullet weight and charge are the same.

Thanks
After reading your post I would say no. Free recoil uses the variables mentioned by Marine52. With equal weight rifles, bullets, charges, and velocities the recoil is the same. In your examples the bullets will have different velocities due to having the same weight but different bore diameters, which changes velocity due to pressure changes.

6.0 CM 107 gn HPBT 35.7 gn Varget 2950 FPS
6.5 CM 107 gn HPBT 35.8 gn Varget 2700 FPS

In your first example the 6.5 CM and .270-08 are fairly close to each other with a 130 grain bullet. The .270 may be 100 fps faster but uses more powder, both variables would give it more recoil.

PS: I had to guess on a .270 case, .270-08 is the closest. The .270-08 can drive the .277 bullet faster than the 6.5 drives a .264. The .308 case has about a 4 grain volume difference. Using the 6.5 CM charge in the .270-08 case may result in the .270 being slower.

Last edited: