• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stupid question on x-mark pro trigger

wdhigh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2010
Summerville, SC
In an attempt to lighten the heavy trigger on my 700 aac-sd/ x-mark pro I took out the external set screw completely. Never felt a damn bit of difference no matter how much I moved it even removed.

Dumbass me has now managed to loose the set screw. Remington tells me today that I have to get an FFL to order a new one.

2 questions,

1- is it necessary to keep the set screw in?
2- would a gunsmith be willing to do trigger work with it not being in? If #1 is not a problem of course.

Really surprised after the crap on tv about the 700 triggers that they would not even offer to sell me this part easily. Thanks in advance.

Re: Stupid question on x-mark pro trigger

they told you that need the set screw sent to a FFL?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wdhigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Really surprised after the crap on tv about the 700 triggers that they would not even offer to sell me this part easily.
</div></div>

It's because of that crap on TV that they won't sell you a screw for the single most important part of your rifle as far as safety is concerned. You do it wrong, blow off your buddies face, headline reads "Remington Trigger caused discharge!"

Hell, you can't even be trusted not to lose the parts and you want them to trust you to install it right the second time?
laugh.gif

Just buy a whole new aftermarket trigger, cheaper and better in the long run.

if there was no improvement in pull weight why not just pick up a replacement like timney?

+1 on the aftermarket trigger. I was recently in a position where i was either going to have my gunsmith do work on my x mark pro or replace it. Ultimately, i replaced it with a jewell trigger and set it to 3 lbs. couldnt be happier. The trigger goes a long way as far as the feel of the rifle is concerned.

Sounds like the perfect time to ditch that x-mark and upgrade. I have played around with several of those x-marks and none of them feel as good as an aftermarket trigger.

Thanks!

Yes, remington said to have my FFL order the "set screw".

I've got one local guy that has done wonders on some previous x-marks, but not pros for $50. I was planning on taking this one as well, just was not sure what he would say about the external set screw missing.

My only fear in adjustable triggers is some have said they "loosen" with use. Is this true? I don't work on my guns for lack of knowledge and it usually cost me double to have my screw ups fixed. Are these true drop in's?

i would recommend having the trigger done by a good gunsmith. You can do them yourself but sometimes (as with my jewell) they take some fitting to your gun, which is something i leave to the pros. Also, triggers can get dangerously light. The guy who i have do all my stuff puts the trigger through a series of practical tests to make sure its not going to go off unintentionally. I suppose that you could do this in your house but why? As far as lightening up, I remember reading in the instructions that jewell has some system that is supposed to be incapable of shifting and changing weight (i know it sounds like an unvalidated claim by a manufacturer) but in my experience, the trigger weight has been constant since i first adjusted it. I think that as long as you go with a quality trigger like timney or jewell this isnt something that you need to be all that worried about. good luck.

I was with a buddy when he was adjusting an X mark in one of his rifles. Got done, closed the bolt and heard the trigger fall. Needless to say we adjusted it back up and it was replaced a short time later.

Be careful adjusting triggers if you are not familiar with them. And always thoroughly function check them before chambering a live round.

I may be wrong, but I venture to guess this isn't some sort of proprietary screw that can not be had else where. I'm sure a fastener store could get you something.

But that said, I have to go with what everyone else has said: just get an aftermarket.

Yikes. That's scary. I may be replacing mine with an aftermarket one soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HPW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was with a buddy when he was adjusting an X mark in one of his rifles. Got done, closed the bolt and heard the trigger fall. </div></div>

I had an early x-mark trigger do the same thing, and it has since been replaced with a timney. I have the x-mark pro on my AAC-SD an it hasn't done the dame thing. When I lightened the trigger pull, I was sure to slam the bolt home a few times to make sure the firing pin didn't release. It's still not as nice as my timney and it's going to get replaced sooner rather than later.

My x mark pro wouldn't stay consistent after adjustment and I didn't like feeling the adjustment screw on the trigger. Switched it out with a Timney on my AAC-SD and like it a lot better.

Timney is what I will probably end up with now. Thanks for the help.