• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stupid Red Cross UPDATE 20 Dec.

kilo7788

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2010
Monroe, Michigan
First of all I understand my comitment and the oaths I have taken and sacrafices that I have agreed to take but I struggle to understand this situation. Sorry this is long and typed fast because I am ranting. I'll re-read and correct it later if it is messed up.

My grandmother has become very ill and she has a DNR order. The doctor said in the red cross message that this may be the last time to see her and that it will be a week or two at most. My mother and I lived with her from when I was 1 until my mom got remarried and we moved out when I was in the 4th grade. My mom worked 2nd shift and I was raised by my grandmother. My remationship with her is more than the usual grandparents share with their grandchildren.

I am in Iraq and within weeks of being relived. The rule states that if she was my primary caregiver I can go home to be with her. And indeed she was. But since my mom lived in the house she was not considered my primary caregiver. My father was not in the picture and most of my childhood memories are with her. So in short due to the face that my mom was still in the picture I cannot go home to say goodbye. This is the rule that I fail to understand. I know that other people would say hell ya I am close to my grandmother just to get the hell out of here and that is why this rule stands. But there is no way to take into account any special situation as this. That is what I find horrible and with todays families being less and less traditional this couls happen to alot of people and I do not want that to happen.

Now here is the salt in the wound. My commander was still going to send me home early anyways. But I am one of 2 qualified on the M240B at the moment until the rest of the relif gets here so he can't send me. I am not even supposed to be a gunner I am just qualified because I am a trainer for it at home.

So if you pray I would like your prayers to beat the clock and get home in time.

Thanks for reading.

Re: Stupid Red Cross Message Rule

Been there bud. It sucks. Bad.

If you're a trainer for the 240 at home, will he let you spin up someone on it real quick so you can punch out? Just a thought.

Hang in there and best wishes for you and your family.

Screw "extra ammo" excuse. Go to the ASP, ask for 100 rounds of amnesty, shoot it up. Done. Go home and be with grandma.

Good luck

I lost my Grandfather while across the pond. They had sent me to HQ's Co. on a Sunday afternoon about an hour before a jump off briefing. Before they even told me I knew he was gone. That man taught me everything about hunting, fishing and staying alive. It hurt to the bone that he was gone, then to be told I could not return to lay him to rest was even worst. Returning to the Co. area I had a long talk with God, about Grandfather, self and those around me then, I changed forever that day. I then understood my oath and word was first, as that is what my Grandfather would have wanted me to do. He was gone and I would never see him again in this life but, I would always have him in my heart and mind. Upon ETS to the States my first stop was the Grave yard, where I found lasting piece. Yes it still hurts to this day, but as my earth time grows shorter, time is also growing shorter to seeing him again, as well.

Kenneth

First of all, thank you for your service.

Will be praying for your Grandmother to wait for you to get home. Will also be praying for you to have favor to get home in time.

I am very close to my Grandmother as well for very similar circumstances. She is getting old and I know that it is inevitable. Doesn't make it easier.

Charlie

You and your grandmother are in my prayers. I will pray for an early return date. crow hop

Man, rough situation. My grandma passed while I was deployed. I'm shocked you don't have someone in your CoC who will go to bat for you. You may want to talk to a chaplain and see if he can get you home. Operating The 240b is not rocket science. You should not be prevented from seeing your grandma just because your CO needs another trainer.

Talked to the Chaplain. He made inquiries because my CO talked to me to make sure I was still ok. No one has given me a straight answer on why the BS 240 excuse is going over.

Really sorry this is happening to you - prayers that some how you will make it to see her.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kilo7788</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First of all I understand my comitment and the oaths I have taken and sacrafices that I have agreed to take but I struggle to understand this situation. Sorry this is long and typed fast because I am ranting. I'll re-read and correct it later if it is messed up.

My grandmother has become very ill and she has a DNR order. The doctor said in the red cross message that this may be the last time to see her and that it will be a week or two at most. My mother and I lived with her from when I was 1 until my mom got remarried and we moved out when I was in the 4th grade. My mom worked 2nd shift and I was raised by my grandmother. My remationship with her is more than the usual grandparents share with their grandchildren.

I am in Iraq and within weeks of being relived. The rule states that if she was my primary caregiver I can go home to be with her. And indeed she was. But since my mom lived in the house she was not considered my primary caregiver. My father was not in the picture and most of my childhood memories are with her. So in short due to the face that my mom was still in the picture I cannot go home to say goodbye. This is the rule that I fail to understand. I know that other people would say hell ya I am close to my grandmother just to get the hell out of here and that is why this rule stands. But there is no way to take into account any special situation as this. That is what I find horrible and with todays families being less and less traditional this couls happen to alot of people and I do not want that to happen.

Now here is the salt in the wound. My commander was still going to send me home early anyways. But I am one of 2 qualified on the M240B at the moment until the rest of the relif gets here so he can't send me. I am not even supposed to be a gunner I am just qualified because I am a trainer for it at home.

So if you pray I would like your prayers to beat the clock and get home in time.

Thanks for reading. </div></div>

Actually, if she was considered a primary, by you, for 5 years or more prior and up to your 21st. AR 600-8-10, page 44. Check out the definition of Loco Parentis, and see if it applies, if so, sign a Loco Parentis affadavit and move out. I've worked this reg many a time, to get a commander let a Soldier go home, especially with a grand parent. Even got one flown back by commercial air, round trip, on the Army's bill for $3400 on Qatar Airways.

I'm a personell puke now, and very good at it.

-Jeremy

Commanders can make it happen, if you have good leadership this decision should be pushed all the way up the chain, not stopped at platoon or company level. You need to push your command. How is your FFL helping? Is he going to bat for you to the PL, the CO, the BC? I bet if the CSM knew of this, he would get shit rolling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Commanders can make it happen, if you have good leadership this decision should be pushed all the way up the chain, not stopped at platoon or company level. You need to push your command. How is your FFL helping? Is he going to bat for you to the PL, the CO, the BC? I bet if the CSM knew of this, he would get shit rolling. </div></div>
Is AR 600-8-10 a Army reg. I am Air Force. I am more or so learning that a perticular E-5 and E-8 consipred against me. I know there was grey area in the reg that can be used in situations like these but they told me no. My relife gets here in a few days. Ill be good. And things are turining out good.

UPDATE:
My grandmother let them do surgery to replair her dialasis port day before yesterday. The surgery went well and they were even able to get a stint into her heart in the same go around. She is mentally back to herself and working on beating the infection. She wasnt eating so they gave her medicinal marijuana and that is solved now. She kept calling my mom and demanding she bring her random food that she was craving. HAHAHA. So thank you for all the prayers they seem to be working. Not out of the woods yet be we are seeing the light.

Thanks!

Kilo, glad to hear things worked out!!! sucks about the E8E5

(BTW are you under an Army unit ie AMC?)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kilo7788</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Commanders can make it happen, if you have good leadership this decision should be pushed all the way up the chain, not stopped at platoon or company level. You need to push your command. How is your FFL helping? Is he going to bat for you to the PL, the CO, the BC? I bet if the CSM knew of this, he would get shit rolling. </div></div>
Is AR 600-8-10 a Army reg. I am Air Force. I am more or so learning that a perticular E-5 and E-8 consipred against me. I know there was grey area in the reg that can be used in situations like these but they told me no. My relife gets here in a few days. Ill be good. And things are turining out good. </div></div>

I'm willing to bet the same verbage is in your reg, all extracted from DOD policy. Happy it worked out for you man, I would have gone to bat for you and put my stripes on it. Now, make sure you don't do bong hits with her when you get home...

I've been there, more then once!

Good luck!

Nope. At a Navy controled base that is ran by the army and we run the airfield. Our command structure is on another base. Its wack.

Thanks. I am guessing there is. Becasue they mentioned something to me about having to signing somthing but said only that it still didnt apply to me.

I remember my PSG telling me, "We'll get you home as soon as we can, but don't start making crazy plans yet" when my brother was dyeing/died.

I remember telling him, "Fuck you, I'm on a plane tonight with or without anyones' blessing".

My Battalion Commander saw me walking across the pod a few minutes later, called me over by name (really weird) and asked me who I wanted to drive me to the airport...and I flew home within 3 hours.

Some leaders are A-OK and others need to be punched in the throat!

Thanks for all of your continued prayers. She is showing signs of improving everyday and everyday she get stronger. Looking good. Thanks

I am glad your grandmother is getting better. My prayers are with her, and you. Best wishes for your whole family.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember my PSG telling me, "We'll get you home as soon as we can, but don't start making crazy plans yet" when my brother was dyeing/died.

I remember telling him, "Fuck you, I'm on a plane tonight with or without anyones' blessing".

My Battalion Commander saw me walking across the pod a few minutes later, called me over by name (really weird) and asked me who I wanted to drive me to the airport...and I flew home within 3 hours.

Some leaders are A-OK and others need to be punched in the throat! </div></div>

Your PSG was probably trying to do the right thing I'm guessing.
It wasn't his decision to make so he probably didn't want to make a promise to you that he couldn't keep.
I don't know him, so he might be a turd?

I've seen people get screwed by drinking the coolaid, believing something that someone told me and then suffering because they happened to get trumped. It happens all the time. Some leaders try to mitigate expectation issues by pointing out the worst case scenario so that if best case happens its like Christmas.
Good intent but probably poor execution.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I remember my PSG telling me, "We'll get you home as soon as we can, but don't start making crazy plans yet" when my brother was dyeing/died.

Some leaders are A-OK and others need to be punched in the throat! </div></div>

Your PSG was probably trying to do the right thing I'm guessing.
It wasn't his decision to make so he probably didn't want to make a promise to you that he couldn't keep.
I don't know him, so he might be a turd?

I've seen people get screwed by drinking the coolaid, believing something that someone told me and then suffering because they happened to get trumped. It happens all the time. Some leaders try to mitigate expectation issues by pointing out the worst case scenario so that if best case happens its like Christmas.
Good intent but probably poor execution.
</div></div>

I had to do this exact thing while in Iraq with one of my Soldiers. BC was out of comms and we simply weren't sure if we would be able to get paperwork back and forth from the BDE CO in time to make a certain flight. We ended up making it, but while I told them to pack and be ready, i also said I couldn't guarantee a flight time.

(and we had no BN XO to fill in due to the organization I was with)

God bless you for your service to our country. Will be praying for you and your grandma and will light a candle before tonight's midnight mass for ya.

Lost my Grandmother while in training at Courthouse Bay in 1966. I was refused compassionate leave despite the fact that I was partly raised in her home.

Greg