• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Styrofoam Targets for Long Range

triplecelectric

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2009
Valencia, Ca.
Has anyone ever used white styrofoam targets painted with black spray paint to shoot at from long range. You can pick up the white hole from distance a lot easier than paper. Then you can just repaint it and you get a whole nother target. My question is what is the best kind of styrofoam and where would you get it. I don't think the standard packing styrofoam would work or at least not very well.

Re: Styrofoam Targets for Long Range

Our Lowe's has sheet "foam like" insulation panels in varying sizes and thicknesses. I would start checking the local home improvement "box stores".

Does that type of styrofoam have like a thin coating over it and is more flexible than the standard packing type?

The bunny huggers in CA would have a field day with you leaving bits of non bio-degradable Styrofoam all over the place. Then again as a Scout leader I'd have an issue with you too. Styrofoam lasts longer than glass and we all know shooting bottles is a bad idea for many reasons. Get some Shoot - N - See's or steel and carry on.

Cheers,

Doc

Actually the proper styrofoam that I'm looking for doesnt disintigrate and leave trash. You can use the same piece over and over and over. Much more economical than the shoot and see plus you can make any size or shape target you like. I prefer to shape mine like bunny or tree huggers. That product isn't yet available from shoot n see. We also prefer to call them tree huggers here but tomatoe tomato.........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplecelectric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually the proper styrofoam that I'm looking for doesnt disintigrate and leave trash. You can use the same piece over and over and over. </div></div>

Very cool, do you mean the foam like the stuff used for bow target's?

If so that is "self healing" and closes up so seeing the hits would be difficult unless the paint chips off.

I have heard that "Chalk Board Paint" sprayed over a bright back ground is effective but have not tried it myself as I generally run steel.

Cheers,

Doc

we made up a few of them and use them regularly at our club during practice sessions, the 1.5" thick white rigid insulation board available at Home Depot works best, paint the "non filmed" side with flat black spray paint and attach to a piece of plywood, they don't make a mess and last for 1000's of rounds, shots are easy to see out to 600 yards, re spray to re face, works great.

I picked up a batch of foam manakin heads once and they lasted about a year. Then they were introduced to shotguns. I wouldn't dare paint them any color other than white though.

I'm more pro-RKBA than many here, but that doesn't mean I need to justify to anyone why blasting old style styrofoam is a crappy thing to do in the outdoors anywhere other than in an actilve landfill.
That shit's horrible, and never goes away.

Self healing foam for targets is a great idea on the other hand.

Agreed, I've seen several nice areas for shooting that were shut down due to people "leaving trash" on the ground. Cardboard boxes they had targets attached to and other items just piled up over time.

When I am allowed to shoot on other people's property I tell them the only thing I leave is foot prints. And not many of those.

Cut

There is nothing worse then going out to your favorite shooting place to see piles of trash and debris from lazy shooters. The best thing to shoot is steel or paper that you can leave with. Styrofoam sounds like it would be messy and non reactive. Pick up a steel target from LV Steel Targets and have fun.

+1 Steel is the only way to go. Not only does it make a spot you can see at a half mile or more, you can hear your hits.

OK if you need targets and your elections are over grab the vote for me signs. they have legs and you can slap shootNsee's on them.
just haul them home to throw them away when your done

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">we made up a few of them and use them regularly at our club during practice sessions, the 1.5" thick white rigid insulation board available at Home Depot works best, paint the "non filmed" side with flat black spray paint and attach to a piece of plywood, they don't make a mess and last for 1000's of rounds, shots are easy to see out to 600 yards, re spray to re face, works great. </div></div>

Gentlemen,

While I sincerely appreciate your concern for making and mess and the environment and am everpresently consciencious of leaving things better than the way I found them I am looking for a specific type of styrofoam as noted in this post that doesn't make a mess and is very reusable. We have a private range that as a member we all take part in not only cleaning up our messes but we also do the grass, pull the weeds, make improvements etc. etc. etc. While I do shoot the steal we have at the range it is impractical for the raisable type targets we have at 200, 300 and 600 yards. Not to mention having to haul it out and set it up everytime. The styrofoam I have shot at our range, that I didn't supply, does not disintigrate and leave a mess. Perhaps you all should try it before knocking it if you haven't tried it. I was specifically looking for people who have used the product and could point me in the right direction as to what type it is. Just like GME did. Thank you GME.

When I find it and use it I will be sure to post pictures, trade name and a shot of the ground around it to verify the lack of making a mess.

Now don't be getting snippy, it's Sunday
grin.gif

I think what your looking for is foam insulation board available at Hope Depot and such. I recall it being blue or pink though. We have used it as a target backer as 100 push pins are a doggone site cheaper than 10 boxes of staples and such. Never spray painted it but I imagine Krylon Fusion (for plastic) may work. Might want to try it on a small piece first as some paints will disintegrate foam. I'd be interested to hear what you find.

Cheers,

Doc

No worries Doc. Maybe I'm PMSing and a little sensitive. I will let you guys know what I find out. Hoping to get to HD and find some today. Some guys at my range had put it up on one of the targets at 600 and were nice enough to leave it up. The stuff worked really well as you were able to very easily see where your shots were with a 22 power rifle scope. I'll look at the Coroplast too.

I did a Google for Political signs, found Corroplast, Googled that and selected this one. That's all I know. I think the ones that use the 'fluted' reference are the ones that match what I had in mind.

I have used a chunk of light blue insulation board that I picked up when someone left it out on public lands, for a number of years. It holds up well, is light weight and does not come apart when hit ALOT at close and alittle at long ranges
grin.gif

Pat

Corroplast in Green is used by our local "public" range as a target backer. I wouldn't call it effective as a hit marker, perhaps in white it would be effective. It does break up a bit after multiple close impacts.

"Vote for me" signs are very effective to staple targets to and the frames can be used to support cardboard/corroplast and such after you wear out the vinyl covering.

Cheers,

Doc