• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suarez Tactical Rifle (STR) value for insurance?

FortyFive2Life

Private No Class
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
Tennessee
Hey, just trying to get a ballpark on what my custom STR is worth. We are having our insurance quoted through USAA and while I'm not going to insure all my firearms (not that many Uncle Sam), I do want to insure a couple of the ones that have some value.

I purchased this STR from the Hide years ago, before the site changed. There was one owner before me, he purchased it directly from Ozzie. There is a Youtube series that Ozzie did while building this particular rifle; while that doesn't increase the value it does help with provenance.

It's a Rem 700 .308 with a Bartlein M24 stainless 1:11 barrel, McMillan A5 stock, and a bunch of custom parts (I can list these if it helps). The trigger is really light and crisp, and it's so easy to shoot although heavy. I don't want to get rid of it, but if you guys could help me estimate it's value I'd appreciate it. It's a pretty rare bird so I can't just find a comparable rifle on Gbroker to look at.
20210222_202716.jpg
20210222_202737.jpg
20210222_202854.jpg
20210222_202924.jpg
20210222_202745.jpg

Thanks all!

I have my guns insured with USAA also, what I did was insure it for the cost of replacement. The scopes are separate FYI

Reactions: FortyFive2Life
I would insure for cost of replacement. Maybe 3k for a custom tactical Remington 700. As far as actual value White Mamba is about right I think

yeah I'll need to ask the agent about that; I know with our boat I have it insured for what it sold for retail, not the current value. It's hard to estimate on a custom rifle where the builder is retired, I wonder if they'll insure for an Agreed Value. Good point to consider.

Yes it will definitely have to be an agreed value. One thing that you really need is a build sheet or in this case a 3rd party aprasial. About as important as the appraisal would be a good itemized discription of what you got

McMillian A5. $550
Bartlein Barrel installed $650
XYZ Bottom metal
Trued Remington Action $500
Ceracoat job $300
Aftermarket tactical bolt knob installed $100
Muzzle break installed $300.
Trigger Etc. Etc.

The fact that the Smith is retired really doesn't impact a guns value. It will be looked at as a tool not as a Picaso. It's value will align with rifles from GAP, LRI, SAC.

Reactions: FortyFive2Life