• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DRAGON64

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2011
Alabama
I am wanting to add a 1911 to my arsenal; this would be my first pistol purchase. I have about $550 to work with and right now I am looking at Rock Island Armory, Auto-Ordnance and Cimarron. I prefer a 1911 that looks and feels as close to USGI as possible... am I being unrealistic? or should I try to buff the funds a little more?

I have heard that RIA is not bad out of the box. You can change parts and upgrade as you get familiar with it.

Have handled the RIA. Is not a bad 1911 for the money and leaves some $$$ to fit it to your liking.

If you add a little more look at the sti spartan. Adjustable sights lowered ejection port. If you start shooting at competitions you will want the extras. Also the R1A is worth a look.

I would go for a Remington R1 or Springfield Mil Spec. I have also read good reviews about the RI's but I like to buy American when I have that option so the R1 would be my 1st choice. I have shot several of them and they are quality pistols.

In 1911's you def get what you pay for. I would STRONGLY suggest holding off and saving a little more. Once you can come up with 900-1000, the small price increase gives a BIG jump in quality and performance. Now you are talking used colt, sprinfield, etc. Not trying to start a thread war but make sure you do a thorough search on 1911forum.com regarding any perspective brands. You will be amazed how some brands that are "great 1911's" have so many problem threads and right out of the box issues.

If you absolutely have to stick within the 600 range, check out the taurus 1911. Now personally I boycott Taurus because the rip off other designs, with that being said the 1911 is a universal design so I don't hold it against them. Their 1911 is tits for the price. It has a really surprising fit and finish and runs great, in addition it comes with A LOT of extras that you would usually pay to have done. Plus it's cheap enough to build upon as you learn exactly what you want out of the gun and their quirks.

sidewaysil80, I think you are correct; I need to save some more coin. SgtDave posted about the Remington R1, and that is a nice looking rig. I have a softspot for the Remington, and the Springfield as well, as they are more "house-hold" names (to me) when we talk firearms. Not to say that Rock Island is not, but they are not COLT, Remington or Springfield. I have some other avenues for income out there that may net me a little more leeway to open up my options for a better quality acquisition. Since this will be my first pistol and 1911, I don't want to muck it up.

sidewaysil80, I think you are correct; I need to save some more coin. SgtDave posted about the Remington R1, and that is a nice looking rig. I have a softspot for the Remington, and the Springfield as well, as they are more "house-hold" names (to me) when we talk firearms. Not to say that Rock Island is not, but they are not COLT, Remington or Springfield. I have some other avenues for income out there that may net me a little more leeway to open up my options for a better quality acquisition. Since this will be my first pistol and 1911, I don't want to muck it up.
If you have any questions pm me. I'm sure as shit new to long range rifles but not 1911's.

I bought a RIA tactical in 45 as my first center fire pistol. I'm happy with it. It isn't as nice to look at as others, and it isn't as smooth an action as my friends Colt, but it does what I need it to do.

I'm starting IDPA now, and all I've done to it is had the trigger stoned, and put Houge palm-swell grips on it. The pistol shoots well enough to be at the top of my weekly league. I, however, don't...

Finding a balance between a nice firearm that you'll have for a long time and remembering that more shooting usually means better shooting is the balance we all need to figure out. I'm happy with my purchase.

wingnut49b, you can get a spring set from Brownell's, Wolffs or Cylinder and Slide, that will smooth up and lower the trigger pull on that RIA for not much cost. I did this with an inexpensive used RIA I picked up, along with a couple other minor mods (re-polished the feed ramp and stoned a couple of rough spots that see action). That way I don't hammer my Colt 70 series shooting IDPA with it. I shot 5 matches with the Colt, but at about 200 rounds per match I didn't want to hammer it too much. Thus the RIA.

The RIA works well for this purpose, especially after a bit of minor adjustment mentioned above.

Dragon,

Where you at in AL the Ammo Dump in Clanton, AL has two of the new Remington R1 one is a all stainless and the other is set-up very close to the Springfield TRP. Both of the pistols he has at his shop are great looking guns. I've handled them both and they're fit and finish are tight. If your not to far away stop by and look at them I think the stainless is about $700 and the one like the TRP is closer to a grand. He also has a Taurus PT1911 in stock.

Ken

KHOOKS - I live just outside of Huntsville. I just returned from the local gun store after handling a number of in-stock 1911's... The Zig felt too light and cheap. The ATI felt nicer than the Zig, both of these were on sale for $399 ea. I handled the wide body Rock Island (14 round double stack mag), and it felt nicer than the ATI ir Zig, but that bill coard logo was a huge turn off. The RIA was $499... that and I do not want double stack, I prefer the seven round mags (or at least I think I prefer them). The next two I held were the Springfield and the Remington... both of them felt identical in weight and balance... excellent builds, the both of them. The Remington R1 was $639 and the Springfield, I want to call it the Range Master, was $699. I really liked the Springfield flaming bomb logo on the grips... There were alot of people in the store so I did not get to fondle the pistols too long, but if I were there to bring home a pistol, the Springfield of the Remington would have been my choice, with the edge going to Springfield due to the logo in the grips.

I'm going to save my money a little longer... I would still like to find a more milspec looking rig... but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth if you know what I mean...?

The Remington and Springer both have a milspec model in the $600 area. Both have matte finishes and wood grips. The R1 has better sights and is all US made while the SA frame is made in Brazil.

I bought two RIA. As mentioned, not pretty, not as smooth as others. Of the two I bought, one has gone back to RIA because the slide would not reliably close enough to chamber the next round. Dissembled it, cleaned it, repeat; nothing changed. I got it back and now it doesn't fire at all. Going back for the second time. For a first 1911, or a first hand gun, it's okay. But personally, I will never buy another because if I cannot put complete faith that my life is protected with it, I don't want it.

I've shot a few Kimbers and they're nice, but I've heard their newer is not so great. I shot my buddy's Dan Wesson and that was a Cadillac. Shot the Instructor's Colt at Front Sight and that was pretty damn nice as well.

Jeff

I like the Remingtons and the Springfields also. I went all out when I purchased my 1911 and got the Springfield TRP about 5 years back. But if I where to add another to my stable it more than likely be a Remington.

I Have about made up my mind... I'm going for the Remington R1 today for $639+tax. From what I remember from my trip to the local establishment, that R1 felt best in my hands.

Citadel or ria, both are armscor imports. I went with the citadel f/s so I could tinker with it, use it for CCW, etc and not be heart broken if I messed it up or it got a scuff from riding around.

I was pleasantly surprised how well it shoots and the quality for the price. Ended up dropping a match trigger in it, use chip mags, and been beating it ever since. My old man is a die hard colt fan but he ran some speed drills with more hits from the Citadel. By the end of the day he finally admitted "it wasnt a bad gun" also known as the crusty ass liked it.

By all means if you have the money and dont wanna beat it to death buy something a little higher end. But its a shooter for the price.

The R1 is a good choice and as good as any. Most of them are fairly tight with a descent trigger. I am not a fan of 3 dot sights but its got a classic look. In my opinion, its a keep as is or start making the parts list 1911. Get a few Wilson D47 mags, 1000 rounds of ball and burn some powder. Use grease on your 1911. I prefer super lube but any good quality high temp grease works but 1911s at least in my experience run best with grease on the lugs and bushing.

First thing is do not strip it with out first knowing how or you have a great chance to rookie mark it. I tell everyone and I use electrician tape under the lever so just in case, the tape protects from the lever scratching the finish. Some place a business card type something under it but I find tape to stay in place. 1911 guru will say its not needed if you are a guru but I still use the tape just case, in the man cave at home because I can and want too.

As far as the Range Officer is concerned, its a great out for the box keep as is 1911 best bangs for the dollar.

The problem with 1911s is, once you get your first, the parts list starts as does your desire for your next one. I prefer the GI look too or a clean frame but with descent sights like 10-8 or Heinie.

+1 for the Range Officer for best bang for the buck. Also for whatever it's worth, I picked up a GI style Auto Ordinance a few month ago and what little ammo I had to spare to break it in it's probably the best value for a GI style fullsize pistol I've ever bought. I also have an imported officer model that shoots suprisingly accurate for a 400 dollar gun. I had a smith go through and do a trigger, better sights and cerekote it and it's been a carry pistol that has been reliable as hell for me to this date.

I looked at the Remington R1 again today, and compared it to the ATI FX45 ($399) and the Springfield GI model ($699), and ultimately, the Remington felt best in my hands. The cost was $639+tax. I was allowed 1-box of 50 rounds (Federal hardball) with my purchase, so I am ready to hit the range! Thanks to all for your help and recommendations; I believe I did pretty good today.

Now get yourself some Wilson Combat mags. Most 1911 malfunctions are mag related, in one form or another.
^^^This^^^
They don't have to be Wilson Combat, though some will argue that point, but check into and purchase some good reliable mags or at bare minimum buy Wolff or Wilson replacement mag springs.

That's what i was thinking Sideways. It's not a custom or a $1000+ gun but with a little tweak could be fun to have a .45 around. Haven't had one since I sold my Kimber years ago.

So here she is...
IMG_6425_zps7acb02c4.jpg

IMG_6430_zps16a0e30c.jpg

IMG_6431_zps7334b042.jpg

IMG_6432_zps74faa81d.jpg

Looks good. Have you the chance to fire it yet? That Turkish rail gun looks like a steal. Why cant a US company do that? I have 2 45's and this makes me want a 3rd.
Nice R1 though. I would love to read more about yours. Thanks

Uncle wanted to try an officers model so he bought a Citadel. He has a few hundred rounds out of it w/ no malfunctions to speak of. I wanted to hate it but at $499 it's a steal. Nighthawk it's not but I would carry it.