• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sub Moa 16" barrel under $250?

SDBguy95

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2019
Ive been concidering the BA Hanson but havnt found the overload of information im looking for. Just looking for some input and direction. Anybody have any experience with this barrel?

Why not just pony up a little more and get a white oak? And I’ve also heard good things about Wilson combat barrels. They’re in the $250-$280 price range. I’ve never shot either but both have good reviews.

Attachments

• 541ABC06-93C2-46F1-9C1B-46CC64CDFCEA.jpeg
    541ABC06-93C2-46F1-9C1B-46CC64CDFCEA.jpeg
    522.3 KB · Views: 120
Thank you for the input. Would love to see some more groups! Hoping to put together a build for yotes and punching paper ocasionally.

I had a Ballistic Advantage premium series 18” SPR barrel that was ridiculously accurate. It would shoot right at 1/4 minute with my 77gr Berger OTM load with Varget. My 77gr Sierra load was about 1/2 minute and my generic 77gr Nosler CC blasting load with PP2000MR that I found shot well enough in everything was just a hair over 1/2 MOA. It also ran the Magtech 77gr (Sierra bullet I believe) and FGMM 77gr just over 1/2 MOA too. Most quality 55gr brass cased would do sub MOA.

I assembled a few others for people using the same barrel and they reported similar results... 1/2-3/4moa with match ammo. For the $150ish they cost you can’t beat them.

Their other barrels are a different story though, my experience has been hit or miss.

BA is a not a good way to go in that price range. Absolute minimum to spend is on an AR Performance. Criterion, Lothar Walther, WOA, and Rainier are the way to go in this price range.

If you're talking about a single 3-shot group making a MOA rifle, then there are plenty of barrel that may make the grade; but if you're talking about a true precision rifle that will do <MOA with a number of 5x5's or even better, 10x2's, then the field of capable barrels gets considerably narrowed & a lot of the low priced barrels fall by the wayside.

But if a 3 shot group horns you up, then it's a wide open field.

MM

If you're talking about a single 3-shot group making a MOA rifle, then there are plenty of barrel that may make the grade; but if you're talking about a true precision rifle that will do <MOA with a number of 5x5's or even better, 10x2's, then the field of capable barrels gets considerably narrowed & a lot of the low priced barrels fall by the wayside.

But if a 3 shot group horns you up, then it's a wide open field.

MM
Definately would be shooting 5 shots to get 1 MOA or under. Unless just eating up plinking ammo. If I go with a 1:8 I sould be able to run 55's correct?

If I go with a 1:8 I sould be able to run 55's correct?
Absolutely. The last three 1:7 barrels I've had shot 55's great. Don't believe all the people saying you have to shoot heavies in a faster twist because 55's only shoot 4 MOA. It always turns out that they're using cheap ammo known for only shooting 4 MOA regardless of twist.

Decided on an ARP 16" 5r 1:8 twist. They have a pretty good sale going on right now. Id never heard of them before this thread, so thanks again for all the input!

Absolutely. The last three 1:7 barrels I've had shot 55's great. Don't believe all the people saying you have to shoot heavies in a faster twist because 55's only shoot 4 MOA. It always turns out that they're using cheap ammo known for only shooting 4 MOA regardless of twist.

Yep, what Tony said.

MM

Be sure to post back with results.
I have a stripped lower, a barrel on the way and thats all for the build! A build as the fund come in situation, so dont hold your breath ? I will post back though!

This ammo for instance, has a very solid reputation for a 55gr... as well as the 69gr.... in many folks AR's

The BOGO offering helps make a great deal.

55gr BlitzKing
https://globalordnance.com/buy-one-...-rem-55gr-sierra-blitzking-upc-9332153001858/

69gr SMK
https://globalordnance.com/buy-one-...n-outback-223-rem-69gr-sierra-hpbt-matchking/

Best
As for a barrel... spending 50ish ( even 75 ) bucks more... will greatly improve the odds of receiving a great shooting barrel... that extra 50 bucks will be saved quickly from the typically increased precision paid for.

In the real world, and given the cost of good ammo... paying more for a more respected barrel is a bargain.

You will waste less ammo ( or dollars flying down range ) trying to make a less refined ( less expensive ) barrel shoot... and even then, will typically have a much more satisfying result with a more refined ( more expensive ) barrel.

I mean most people blow 50 bucks on ammo every time they go shooting.... or have no issue blowing 80 bucks on a "better charging handle"

So putting it into "dollars spent v. precision gains" perspective... that 50ish more bucks, matters a lot... a better barrel is a heck of a bargain if you are seeking better precision.
That extra money typically pays for a lapped bore and better chamber work.

Criterion barrels have never let me down, I own numerous... Odin barrels are out-standing... and WOA has a very well deserved reputation. There are many others...

Pay a little more then 250, and typically gain much more satisfaction from the results.

Last edited:
Reactions: Triple D
I agree with this. I have a 1/7 that I tried and tried to get to shot 69 or 77smks. Tried my bulk 62gr SP bullets one day that I made on my progressive and they out shot everything I made in 69 or 77 loads. So now I feed it the cheap stuff.

Best
As for a barrel... spending 50ish ( even 75 ) bucks more... will greatly improve the odds of receiving a great shooting barrel... that extra 50 bucks will be saved quickly from the typically increased precision paid for.

So putting it into "dollars spent v. precision gains" perspective... that 50ish more bucks, matters a lot... a better barrel is a heck of a bargain if you are seeking better precision.
That extra money typically pays for a lapped bore and better chamber work.
Or sometimes it's just paying for a name since many of the barrels are made by the same companies.
REAL match grade barrel blanks start at about $300 then add to that the labor to turn it into a barrel.

Or sometimes it's just paying for a name since many of the barrels are made by the same companies.
REAL match grade barrel blanks start at about $300 then add to that the labor to turn it into a barrel.

While I see your point, I think he was pointing out that it’s not always less expensive to go with an inexpensive barrel that may or may not shoot. If you spend 100-200$ in ammo trouble shooting, you haven’t really saved anything from buying a quality barrel in the first place. And while a lot of barrels may use blanks from the same source, there are varying grades of blanks and then chambering and barrel extension that go into the overall finished product.

The one exception to going with a 300$+ barrel would be the WOA’s or Rainier Match barrels when on sale. I’m sure there are brands I haven’t tried yet that are very good, but the RA match barrels are very impressive for the sub 175$ sale price.

If you step up to a Krieger/Bartlein/Rock Creek spun up by CLE, WOA or Craddock (among other great vendors), you are almost guaranteed a hammer from the start.

Larue stealth barrels. $225 and the one on my spr shoots lights out. I don’t typically shoot for groups, but the last time I did it was a ~0.247” 5 shot group at 100 yards.
I have a larue 18" shot two inside of a dime on multiple occasions @ 100 there would be three but the dimes won't hold still for more than 2 shots. The barrel is more accurate than then I am. I have a Wilson in 20" nothing to report yet to compare if is close I'll be happy. Larue does good I was impressed BTW that is with factory (lake city) 62 green tips.

• Haha
Reactions: SDBguy95
While I see your point, I think he was pointing out that it’s not always less expensive to go with an inexpensive barrel that may or may not shoot. If you spend 100-200$ in ammo trouble shooting, you haven’t really saved anything from buying a quality barrel in the first place. And while a lot of barrels may use blanks from the same source, there are varying grades of blanks and then chambering and barrel extension that go into the overall finished product.

The one exception to going with a 300$+ barrel would be the WOA’s or Rainier Match barrels when on sale. I’m sure there are brands I haven’t tried yet that are very good, but the RA match barrels are very impressive for the sub 175$ sale price.

If you step up to a Krieger/Bartlein/Rock Creek spun up by CLE, WOA or Craddock (among other great vendors), you are almost guaranteed a hammer from the start.
WOA uses a lot of Wilson Arms(not wilson combat) blanks, the rifled blanks cost around $45. Krieger, Bartlein, Broughton, Hart, Lilja rifled blanks cost around $300 and the ones I call "real match grade blanks"
Many think and don't mind calling their AR barrels match grade if they will shoot 1" groups. One company I know of makes over 500 barrels a day for many different OEMs, they make the barrels complete with chamber and extension. Some companies with big names charge near double for the exact same barrel. There are good OEM manufactures and really bad ones.

Last edited:
FWIW... the Criterion 16" mid length gas Hybrid , SS Nitrated... is on sale currently for $ 262 w/ free shipping at Primary Arms. ( Coupon SAVE12 )

Decided on an ARP 16" 5r 1:8 twist. They have a pretty good sale going on right now. Id never heard of them before this thread, so thanks again for all the input!

Excellent choice for a barrel. I use Varget with Nosler 69 gr Custom Comp in my 18" ARP barrel used for 3 Gun and another 16" barrel I use for plinking. Both are very accurate with that load. I've currently have ARP barrels in .223 Wylde, 6.8 SPC, 270AR, 6.5 Grendel, and 6.5 CM. I had ARP barrels in TAC6 and .308 that I sold off for various reasons. All of them would shot .5 MOA if I did my part. And never had much difficulty in finding a published load that works for ARP barrels.

I had a Ballistic Advantage premium series 18” SPR barrel that was ridiculously accurate. It would shoot right at 1/4 minute with my 77gr Berger OTM load with Varget. My 77gr Sierra load was about 1/2 minute and my generic 77gr Nosler CC blasting load with PP2000MR that I found shot well enough in everything was just a hair over 1/2 MOA. It also ran the Magtech 77gr (Sierra bullet I believe) and FGMM 77gr just over 1/2 MOA too. Most quality 55gr brass cased would do sub MOA.

I assembled a few others for people using the same barrel and they reported similar results... 1/2-3/4moa with match ammo. For the $150ish they cost you can’t beat them.

Their other barrels are a different story though, my experience has been hit or miss.
I have the same barrel and same results a little bigger group maybe 1/2-3/4. I bought mine as a blem for I want to say less than 120$ I also paired it with a superlative arm adjustable gas block. I never tuned it though with my aac sd556 can it will litterally throw every piece of brass in a 5gallon bucket 5 feet away at 4oclock with h2 buffer. Talk about a perfect gas port!! I absolutely love that rifle/ barrel. Most of the time I’m shooting hornady 68gr bthp with 25.4-25.7 grains of w748 loaded on my ap progressive. That barrel flat out shoots

I have the same barrel and same results a little bigger group maybe 1/2-3/4. I bought mine as a blem for I want to say less than 120$ I also paired it with a superlative arm adjustable gas block. I never tuned it though with my aac sd556 can it will litterally throw every piece of brass in a 5gallon bucket 5 feet away at 4oclock with h2 buffer. Talk about a perfect gas port!! I absolutely love that rifle/ barrel. Most of the time I’m shooting hornady 68gr bthp with 25.4-25.7 grains of w748 loaded on my ap progressive. That barrel flat out shoots
Are you trying to make me seccond guess buying the ARP? ? That sounds like a dream!

Are you trying to make me seccond guess buying the ARP? ? That sounds like a dream!
I would take a look at them. I have a 308 bull barrel from them too. It wasn’t as awesome as the spr profile, but then again large frame ar’s are a finicky bunch sometimes

I have this barrel in 20" and it's been MOA, only $110. It's a work of art on the outside. I have no idea who makes it for them etc and will likely update it. But with good factory ammo it's been just awesome...

Unless I’m buying a Krieger or other cut rifled barrel I use ARP barrels. I don’t know who’s blanks he uses but the barrels shoot, period. The only problem with ARP is that he seems to have discontinued 16” socom profile, and 18” spr profile 223 wylde barrels with 5/8x24 thread muzzles. Here are some groups shot with some of Harrison’s barrels.
04C7E3BF-85E7-4016-86CA-FF17881386D6.jpeg
D16210AB-F127-4686-B4E1-D7BAB2954601.jpeg

1 5 shot and 1, 3 shot group. 6.5 Grendel, Hornady Black ammo. Sighted it in, shot those 2 groups and haven’t shot for groups at 100 yards again since. No pics but it’s held sub moa out to 689 yards.
0B78BB65-40C8-4A63-9138-4CFC1A810781.jpeg
6E1F43EC-84D5-4549-9276-8C0D8E1A2B79.jpeg
10CFB07A-6ECC-4557-BF57-FC1BDF7F498E.jpeg
6202C488-1CF1-4CFD-AFB4-AD3BFCFCCD85.jpeg
446D0D0C-4F54-445A-A672-58DF367030F3.jpeg

18” 223wylde spr profile that loves 69 grain smk’s. This one has been out to 600 and stays under moa. Those groups were shot back to back with no cool down time between groups. After the 1st group I dialed down 1 moa to keep the aiming point intact. I was impressed with the minimal group shift as the barrel heated up.

I have a couple other 223 guns built with these barrels that perform about the same and wanting to try one of his 308 barrels.

The Kriegers I have will shoot a little better off of a bench but I see no difference shooting from field positions. I think barrel manufacturing has gotten good enough that a maker has to almost try to make a bad barrel these days.

Unless I’m buying a Krieger or other cut rifled barrel I use ARP barrels. I don’t know who’s blanks he uses but the barrels shoot, period. The only problem with ARP is that he seems to have discontinued 16” socom profile, and 18” spr profile 223 wylde barrels with 5/8x24 thread muzzles. Here are some groups shot with some of Harrison’s barrels.View attachment 7187782View attachment 7187783
1 5 shot and 1, 3 shot group. 6.5 Grendel, Hornady Black ammo. Sighted it in, shot those 2 groups and haven’t shot for groups at 100 yards again since. No pics but it’s held sub moa out to 689 yards.View attachment 7187786View attachment 7187787View attachment 7187788View attachment 7187789View attachment 7187790
18” 223wylde spr profile that loves 69 grain smk’s. This one has been out to 600 and stays under moa. Those groups were shot back to back with no cool down time between groups. After the 1st group I dialed down 1 moa to keep the aiming point intact. I was impressed with the minimal group shift as the barrel heated up.

I have a couple other 223 guns built with these barrels that perform about the same and wanting to try one of his 308 barrels.

The Kriegers I have will shoot a little better off of a bench but I see no difference shooting from field positions. I think barrel manufacturing has gotten good enough that a maker has to almost try to make a bad barrel these days.
Awesome post! My barrel is supposed to show up tomrrow, super excited to see it. Have you had it past 600 ever?

Awesome post! My barrel is supposed to show up tomrrow, super excited to see it. Have you had it past 600 ever?
I’ve shot steel out to 700 with it using 69 grain tmk’s, 73 grain Berger’s and 77 grain smk’s. I didn’t bother to measure any groups.

Accurate 5.56/223 AR’s are a fun rifles.

I’ve shot steel out to 700 with it using 69 grain tmk’s, 73 grain Berger’s and 77 grain smk’s. I didn’t bother to measure any groups.

Accurate 5.56/223 AR’s are a fun rifles.
Thats most of the reason for this build. I have bolt guns that do good enough for the 800 yards I have access to, and are a little over kill for close up (coyotes and hogs.) Ive been wanting to have something that will work better for 50 to 300 yards and can occasionally stretch out to 600 and 800 for more of a challenge.

Ive been dreaming about their stripped uppers and the tolerances they have. I can only imagine the barrels are just as desireable, but Ive already purchased an ARP and it fit my budget a little better ?

I'm getting their LRP-07 receiver+handguard set for $1000. And I'll slowly build it over time because I can't afford a $4000 JP rifle lol