• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SUB SONIC 5.56 - 223

Re: SUB SONIC 5.56 - 223

ammo%201%20a.jpg

I havent loaded any for mine, but I use trailboss for my sub 308s.

It would probably work for 223 as well? Maybe try to run some heavies if your barrel is fast enough. I could see it working well for a very low cost trainer or suppressor role.

Get ahold of a chronograph and work your way down just like you would if you were working up a load. You dont want to get one stuck in the barrel by going too low. Speaking of which, its not a bad idea to molly or lube the bullets too.

subsonic 40-60gr bullet from 22LR

subsonic 40-60gr bullet from 223

Same mass, same MV.... same thing

However, I know someone that shoots 55 FMJ's with 10-ish grains of Alliant 2400 in a 16" upper and it will cycle the action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">subsonic 40-60gr bullet from 22LR

subsonic 40-60gr bullet from 223

Same mass, same MV.... same thing

</div></div>

Thank you Bohem, thats exactly what I meant. why waste good bullets and time with your 5.56 when you can buy a brick for less than 20 bucks.

What if you don't have a .22lr rifle & you want to load up a subsonic round in your .223 rifle....? Anyone done it with hand loads, like using Trailboss & a heavier bullet...?

I said something above about Alliant 2400 and 55FMJ's cycling the AR action. I haven't tried TB yet but I have 18oz of it coming in sometime next week. I plan on giving it a try just for the sake of having the data points.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if you don't have a .22lr rifle & you want to load up a subsonic round in your .223 rifle....? Anyone done it with hand loads, like using Trailboss & a heavier bullet...? </div></div>

I have loaded 55 and 60 v-max with Trailboss, don't remember the charge weight but it will work.

In my case I didn't care if it was sub-sonic as I don't have a suppressor, thanks Michigan. I just wanted a lower powered and quieter load for taking down fox squirrels and other vermin.

As for loading with trailboss, fill a case to the neck/shoulder junction and then weigh that charge and subtract 10-15% for your start load.

Cool.....I'll try that formula....I figured I would load the heavier 78 grain bullets.....I'll get back with range results.....

For boltguns, mine's M700, .223/52SMK/7gr Unique was quite accurate to 100yd. But it was also the wind's favorite toy.

Unique is/was actually recommended by Alliant for fractional/low power rifle loads.

Honestly, for any other caliber besides .22, I'd be recommending a subsonic load, but for .22's that's just a case of reinventing the wheel. The .22 does it better, cheaper, and there's no handloading.

Besides, a serious marksman always has a .22 around for training/practice. Cost/convenience-wise, it's just a no-brainer. The buckage you save in loading components should go some ways toward geting a decent basic trainer .22.

Just do it.

Greg

Sierra 69 gr. SMK in front of 4.6 gr. Trailboss does 1040 fps. out of my 17" Rem. 700. Pellet gun quiet with the suppressor. Will not cycle an AR.

If you don't own a .22RF then go buy one. If you have more than a basic understanding of shooting you will know why
wink.gif

A decent match grade or highly accurate air rifle will also teach you a lot that is VERY hard to learn with other methods.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hogshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sierra 69 gr. SMK in front of 4.6 gr. Trailboss does 1040 fps. out of my 17" Rem. 700. Pellet gun quiet with the suppressor. Will not cycle an AR. </div></div>

sounds like a fun experiment. Have you tried any with .55gr FMJ?
Thanks for posting the results.

I have not loaded anything lighter. The reason as noted above is that lighter projectiles have no benefit over a sub. .22 rf. I shoot suppressed .22 rf also and the sub 69 gr. .223 definately has more energy at 100 yds.

I sent this to the OP in a PM. Info for all here.
SMK is not a powder it is the bullet. The load is:

Rem .223 brass
69 gr. Sierra Match King bullet (SMK)
4.6 gr. Trailboss powder
CCI small rifle primer.

This load runs 1040 fps from my 17" barrel. Depending on your barrel, you may have to go up or down a little to be below 1050 fps. I am running an 1:8 twist Douglas barrel on this rifle. Anything above a 1:9 twist probably will not stablize this bullet. This load groups into 2" at 100 yds. in my rifle.
Good luck. I would definatly start at about 5 gr. or so and work down until you are sub. You do not want to stick a bullet in the barrel.

Drops are from my normal 100 yd. zero.
50 yds. + 8 MOA
100 yds + 12 MOA
120 yds + 15 MOA
150 yds + 21 MOA

Rick

Interesting, I've been wanting to do the same thing for awhile now.

I shoot mostly 22lr subsonics, but have always wanted more out of the performance. I like the advantages of reloading and a larger bullet selection. Especially the match bullets. Hard to find subs in 22lr with a SMK. Plus it seems that having a custom 22lr built to fire Aquila's is kind of nonsense. A custom built 223 will have a ton more flexibility in loads and customization.

Sometimes what they offer on the shelf just isn't what I want.

Here's my results using trailboss in a 1:7 12" barrel

62gn FMJ, OAL 57.4mm
6gn supersonic
5.4gn 50% subsonic - could be because powder measured electronically
5gn subsonic

55gn FMJ, OAL 57.4mm
5gn supersonic
4.4gn subsonic.

I'm about to try 5.2gn and a 62gn head next. Also got hold of heavier bullets to try.

You need to PM shooter53 on here. He's got a friggin' killer sub-load with 100 yard accuracy that no one on here would believe, .5-.75 MOA consistantly, no shit.

Ive been debating making a subsonic with 60gr vmax with either red dot or unique. Havent been able to find reliable data for it. Except the mentioned 3-4gr of unique