• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Sub-Sonic load and cycling

agusta

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
Dallas, TX
I did a search and couldn't find anything but if this has been covered would be happy to follow a link if someone can find it. Otherwise i'm wondering if anyone has been able to get an AR to cycle reliably with sub-sonic loads with a suppressor? Not sure if a titanium bolt or other mods combined might work and would appreciate any input and suggestions.

Re: Sub-Sonic load and cycling

Sure. In .300 Whisper. LOL. In .223, ain't gonna happen IMO. Or just drop in a .22LR conversion and launch the 60 gr SSS stuff. That load is every bit the equal of subsonic .223's and it will cycle.

+1 on Sccop's statement. No luck on 223 cycling.

I've got 300blk and 7.62x39 both running pistol length uppers with suppressors and both cycle sub ammo just fine.

Cheers,
Breeze

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what he said...the aguila while very dirty do cycle... </div></div>

And reasonably accurate out of my SPR 1:7 twist barrel--good enough for bowling pins at 50yd, but need to give it 15+min of elevation just to get there.

I think the 60 grain SSS is rather sad in the velocity department; the best I can do is about 700 fps. I get about 1040 fps with the 40 grain and I load 70 grain soft nose to 1050 fps with 7 grains of H110 in a 223. Not only is the SSS the loser in power with only 65 ft-lbs (vs 96 and 171 ft-lbs) it does not do so well on accuracy either.

Go with standard velocity 40 grain 22lr over the SSS. Less likely to get baffle strikes with the faster 40 grain ammo.

Ranb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ranb</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-weight: bold">Less likely</span>to get baffle strikes with the faster 40 grain ammo.

Ranb </div></div>

That bothers me and the reason I don't run .223 subs. For what you get out of it, you might as well just be shooting a .22lr standard velocity with a can.

There is one option that I have read about that seems to work as advertised: Extreme Shock 100gr sub-sonics in 223. From what others say, it does cycle the action, but the projectile is a frangible, and thus has poor penetration.

FYI
You will need every bit of a 1 in 7 twist rate for the 100 gn bullet to not have a baffle strike.

I've had a lot of luck with 220gr subsonic 300BLK and a 762SD. I haven't kept track, but estimate an average of 1 failure to eject each 20 rd mag.

Stay away from the Extreme Shock if you are running it through a can. Never run any frangible ammo through a can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glockdan78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't want to thread jack ....but what are subsonic options for the 308? </div></div>

Factory loaded Lapua is sometimes available (and pricey)
SWAmmo and Dallas Reloads both offer a line of subsonic 308's
Or you can load your own

2nd that.... any good subsonic ammo for a 308 that will cycle in a ar 10

Yes...looking for a semi auto subsonic 308 load that will cycle. So it has to be heavy.......my mws has a 10 twist, so it should handle the 200+ grain bullets.