• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Subsonic 308 with a powder i can actually get?

ward1102

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2023
Sandpoint ID
i have been looking for Trail Boss for almost 3 years. this is not an option. looking for a recipe for my 22" bolt action 1/10. i have a wide variety of projectiles includin 175 gr Sub X...no 190 SubX. someone please help!

Hodgdon has SS data for Titegroup which is easy to find online and in my AO

It shows 8gr of TG for 1080 ft/sec with a 168smk.

Depending on your twist you might have issues stabilizing them at subsonic speeds especially that 190gr.
If it were I, I would start at the 8gr and work down to subsonic speeds and verify the bullet leaves the bore before loading another.

I’m no help with a different powder but Trail Boss is in good supply east of the DFW metroplex. Wiley’s Gun Shop particularly keeps it in stock and they will ship. I have no idea how many billion dollars they will charge for that though. I keep it around for 45 Colt plinking. Good luck.

I updated my initial post. I use it for pistol personally and one of my wildcats.

There are better tools for the job when it comes to subs. (300blk being a common option)

Too bad you're not local, I'd send a pound of trail boss your way. I don't really load subsonic 308 anymore and have a couple pounds laying around. Only subs I bother loading anymore are pistol rounds or 300 blackout.

I can get titegroup here too, but have heard of issues since it doesn’t fill the 308 case as much? Is that an issue? I’m about to just buy some subs instead

I'd assume some would. I know it's very desired here in AZ. Shit has been vaporware for nearly a decade almost the same with RL26
That's crazy, I had no idea it had become so hard to find. I haven't bought it in a number of years and honestly just don't fool with it anymore. I haven't ordered components since a big order I put in just before the COVID rush wiped things out.

A asked about it in Dec. here is the reply I got:

53093020-CCB6-4631-BE07-50B47072E74E.jpeg

I have tried 175 SMK in 308 and good accuracy in all twist rates 12, 10 ,9 & 8 barrels 18" 22" 27" & 30".But I used Trailboss powder still have some left ..Trailboss works in everything even in the 50BMG, totally fun. Around 10 grs to 10.5 grs depending on barrel length for the 308.
Twist rate gets iffy with a 10 twist if long match bullets near 200 grs are used. Mine went sideways at 50 yds with 200 gr SMK.
Titegroup, and Clays can be used at about 8 grains each. Titegroup is supposed to be less sensitive to power position in the case, I used it in a limited capacity and it worked OK.
You can go to a cast bullet manual and find a whole list of fast powders for sub loads...as you experiment with this list of powders and a chronograph, just make sure the bullet gets out of the barrel.

Trailboss is like gold down here.
ADI who make it did not make any in 21 or 22 with no update since Dec 21.

ADI news link,

Last update,

From the above,
"Trail Boss – This propellant is unlikely to be released in 2022 as there continues to be an active research and development project associated with its manufacturing optimisation."

Have also been told it has been discontinued but have not seen it officially.

I have tried 175 SMK in 308 and good accuracy in all twist rates 12, 10 ,9 & 8 barrels 18" 22" 27" & 30".But I used Trailboss powder still have some left ..Trailboss works in everything even in the 50BMG, totally fun. Around 10 grs to 10.5 grs depending on barrel length for the 308.
Twist rate gets iffy with a 10 twist if long match bullets near 200 grs are used. Mine went sideways at 50 yds with 200 gr SMK.
Titegroup, and Clays can be used at about 8 grains each. Titegroup is supposed to be less sensitive to power position in the case, I used it in a limited capacity and it worked OK.
You can go to a cast bullet manual and find a whole list of fast powders for sub loads...as you experiment with this list of powders and a chronograph, just make sure the bullet gets out of the barrel.

Reactions: __Robert