• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Subsonic vs Standard velocity question

Sailormilan

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2010
Is there any real(noticable) difference between the two in terms of muzzle velocity? Or are they the same thing, just called different names by different Manufacturors?

I was reading a post on another forum where the OP asked about getting Subsonic and was told by several posters to just use Standard Velocity. Which seemed to upset the OP greatly. As he knew the difference between Subsonic and Standard Velocity.

Edited

For example, according to CCI's website, they give these specs for their 22 LR ammo:

22 LR Standard Velocity(40 gr LRN)..............1070 fps
22 LR Subsonic (40 gr HP).......................1050 fps.

Winchster lists fortheir Super X:

22 LR Standard Velocity(40 gr LRN)..............1150 fps

Eley lists:

22 LR Standard Velocity(40 gr LRN)..............1085 fps

So, all of these standard velocity and subsonic are below the speed of sound(1126 fps)

Re: Subsonic vs Standard velocity question

Im not trying to be a smart ass but Im thinking that the subsonics are supposed to move slower then 1050FPS. Just a guess though

Your barrel length will also affect this

Some of the manufacturer's "Standard Velocity" stuff is around 1150 fps, which could peek above the speed of sound in cold weather. Immediately causing a transonic disturbance 10-20 yards out! CCI standard velocity, OTOH, is around 1050 fps, and is very accurate for me. "Subsonics" are always 1050 or less.

I have always used standard velocity ammo in my 22
and it has never broken the sound barrier for me out of my rifle's
??
i did here of one Brono that had a tight bore that would push them over the sound barrier

I did not now there was a difference

Standard velocity match ammo is usually 1080 fps., some subsonics are 1050 fp., good ones are 1030 fps. These are averages, and will be different in different rifles.

And yes, speed of sound changes with temperature.

speed_of_sound_chart.jpg

Match ammo starts giving me sonic cracks when the temperature drops to around 50F, for my bolt gun. Most HP subsonic hunting ammo doesn't (except Remington).

Actual velocity will vary from gun to gun, and environment to environment. For my own purposes, I try to use l100fps, and 1070fps where possible, as the max listed velocity for ammo I use as a target load.

I work from the asssumption that the listed velocity is the max velocity under ideal conditions, and that where variances exist in reality, they result in a lower true velocity.

Greg

Where I live and the temperatures I choose to shoot in, the Eley Sport (1085 fps) works good for me as it makes this round subsonic for my use.

I normally don't shoot my .22's when the temperature is below 25 degrees. Mostly that is do to my personal choice of hunting during the muzzle loading deer season in December and the late season (or early depending on one's point of view) in January.

Still, there are enough days during each of those months where the temperatures do come up on any given day and I'm still in the "below the speed of sound" with my Eley Sport.

Now were I a competitve "traveling" shooter, I most likely would opt for the Wolf and its 1050 fps, or something better. However in this stage of my life the Eley Sport serves me well.