• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

succesful TR improvements

H

haptoshoot

misc201016.jpg

Last fall I purchased a Savage TR. Due to the problematic bottom metal and 'missing' stock material I could not get consistent groups.
Its taken me three months (busy winter!!), to install aluminum pillars, bed the action, free float the barrel, install 1/8 thick bottom metal, and bed the bottom metal.

I decided to make some additional improvements so it would be a closer match to my Manners T2; I changed the profile of the bottom of the stock to eliminate the hook, added a Kydex cheek rest, textured the stock, and added flush cups.

I had intended to send it to Scott for his rimfire package after I completed the stock work. After extensive ammo testing I found that it likes SK standard plus, .5 5 shot groups at 50yards, and 1.25 inch groups at 100 yards! In fact I just shot my best 100yard target

When i started this project I was planning to see if I could build a bolt action trainer cheaper than what I spent on my 10/22. Total cost to turn my 10/22 into a shooter was north of $800. Total cost on the TR is $399(on sale at Sportsmans Wharehouse) plus $65 for aluminum pillars, botom metal and bedding supplies. These costs do not include optics or my the time I have invested in the project.

It took 10 shots to 'get on paper' at 200 yards tonight. Have not shot at that distance for score. If the weather holds tomorrow i may get a chance.

misc201019-Version2.jpg

Re: succesful TR improvements

I like it. You should re-paint your scope's main tube though
wink.gif

What aluminum pillars did you use?

Yeah, not sure i'm going to keep this scope here, probably going to move it back to my 308. Will be getting a SS 16x now that i know I like the rifle.

Purchased some 1/2 inch OD x 1/4 ID pillars. (2) 6inch pillars for $9 on ebay

Can you show where you put the flush cups? Which ones did you use? I am doing some work to my TR and would love to see what you did.

Thanks,
Eric

i do a mix of position and bench shooting with this rifle , so I used flush cups to eliminate the swivels sticking up when shooting without a sling.

I Installed two one just behind the bipod ond one on the left side of the stock at the butt.

I grovtec threaded cups and sourced them from Triad Tactical

[url=p://www.triadtactical.com/Bushing-Set-for-Push-Button-Swivel.html][url=p://www.triadtactical.com/Bushing-Set-for-Push-Button-Swivel.html]p://www.triadtactical.com/Bushing-Set-for-Push-Button-Swivel.html[/url][/url]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: haptoshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i do a mix of position and bench shooting with this rifle , so I used flush cups to eliminate the swivels sticking up when shooting without a sling.

I Installed two one just behind the bipod ond one on the left side of the stock at the butt.

I grovtec threaded cups and sourced them from Triad Tactical

[url=p://www.triadtactical.com/Bushing-Set-for-Push-Button-Swivel.html][url=p://www.triadtactical.com/Bushing-Set-for-Push-Button-Swivel.html]p://www.triadtactical.com/Bushing-Set-for-Push-Button-Swivel.html[/url][/url] </div></div>

Sweet Thanks!

You can get the bottom metal at http://www.savagegunsmithing.com/
or you can make your own. I made 2 pieces for my Savage HM2 and my MK11 using a dremel and a good jigsaw. Took a little over an hour to do both. There are some pics of the 1/8" bottom metal over on Rimfirecentral if you look in the Savage forum. Hope this helps.