• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Successful hog hunt

Valyndiir

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Houston, Texas
Hello everyone, these are the fruits of my first time hunting another living creature.

We were guarding a pond where we had previously spooked several hogs and had set up post under an oak tree to keep us out of the sun. After sunset the moon was nearly full and shining like a beacon. Around 8:45PM, as we were about to change spots, and trio of hogs came running down the hill behind us. They were covered by some brush patches, so I estimated where the lead hog would emerge and took a shot. It ran around in a circle for 2 or 3 seconds and stopped, I thought I had missed and the hogs were just confused, so I shot again and it dropped immediately. Turns out the first shot went straight through the lungs and broke both shoulder plates and the second shot tore right through the spine at the base of the rib cage. The other two ran back screaming the way they came and I paced the second one and hit her in the gut. Oddly there wasn't much bleeding and no odor whatsoever from either hog. Maybe 3 or 4 seconds after my third shot I shot at the third hog, but by that point it was speeding away something fierce and I don't think I compensated for it enough. I was unable to take a fifth shot as it had disappeared over the horizon of the hill. For my first time hunting anything in my life, 75% accuracy shooting moving targets made me pretty happy. My buddy who was with me shot 8 times... and well.. I am sure most of you can figure out why he didn't hit anything.

Now maybe some of you can help sizing these pigs. I thought they were ~150-180 lbs. and maybe 2-3 years old. However, a friend of mine, who is a well-seasoned hunter, said closer to 250 lbs. They looked like they had more size on them than the friend who was with me; he only weighs about 150 lbs. I weigh more like 185 lbs. The ribs were pretty shabby but the back straps were as delicious and tender as filet mignon after being smoked for 4-5 hours.

Re: Successful hog hunt

Congratulations on your first hunt. Hope you guys had a good time.

I'd say your guess on the weight would be closer, they don't look 250 to me either but it is always very hard if not impossible to tell from pictures.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Valyndiir</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> They were covered by some brush patches, so I estimated where the lead hog would emerge and took a shot.
</div></div>

Only thing I would add, is to be sure of your target. Luckily you killed a hog, it could have been something you weren't prepared to kill.

Nothing really to gauge scale in the pictures in order to tell. Becareful those hogs have the ability to really ruin your day. I know a guy who got tagged by one when he walked up on a male in the woods. It charged him and knocked him to the ground breaking his arm. Luckly his buddy who was with him was able to shoot it before he got injuried really bad.

Congrats bro. Not a chance in hell though that those pigs weigh anywhere near 250 each probably not even combined. Most people way over estimate the weight of these things and I used to also until I started weighing them. My guess would be 100 lbs maybe 110 a piece but it's hard to tell from the picture.
One thing you gotta realize when you drag them or throw them up in the truck, its not you and your buddy spotting someone on bench, they are dead weight which makes them seem heavier.
Trust me, I've slain a whole mess of these devils!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Valyndiir</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> They were covered by some brush patches, so I estimated where the lead hog would emerge and took a shot.
</div></div>

Only thing I would add, is to be sure of your target. Luckily you killed a hog, it could have been something you weren't prepared to kill.</div></div>

We saw them coming down from the hill about 100 yards off and were unmistakable. However, the path they were taking put some brush patches in between us, so I waited for a clear shot.

why did you take their picture while they were gettin their sexy time on?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why did you take their picture while they were gettin their sexy time on? </div></div>

There is no sexy time going on there. Did you just imagine a strap-on on the sow behind the boar? wtf!

Shhhh - the piggies are sleeping!

What bullet and load did you use? I'm always curious about such things...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D-SKIT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shhhh - the piggies are sleeping!

What bullet and load did you use? I'm always curious about such things... </div></div>

Hornady Match 165gr GMX

These do not inflict nearly as much damage as Match A-MAX or SSTs. However, I was very happy to not only be green by bringing down environmentally hazardous creatures but also by removing them with eco-friendly rounds. They went straight through the animals and I believe the second boar went down due to hydro-shock because the bullet went straight through the gut without ripping things to shreds. There was very little blood loss and no vitals were hit. When it was hit it ran a few more feet and fell, attempted to right itself, then fell again for good.

I saw a whole herd the other night. They were loitering in the ditch but I couldn't stop the truck and pull the old truck gun on them before they took off. Had to be at least 20 piglets and a couple sows... not as big as yours but I bet they would have been tender!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Valyndiir</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D-SKIT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shhhh - the piggies are sleeping!

What bullet and load did you use? I'm always curious about such things... </div></div>

Hornady Match 165gr GMX

These do not inflict nearly as much damage as Match A-MAX or SSTs. However, I was very happy to not only be green by bringing down environmentally hazardous creatures but also by removing them with eco-friendly rounds. They went straight through the animals and I believe the second boar went down due to hydro-shock because the bullet went straight through the gut without ripping things to shreds. There was very little blood loss and no vitals were hit. When it was hit it ran a few more feet and fell, attempted to right itself, then fell again for good. </div></div>

Do not discount lighter weight bullets my friend. I use 150 gr Nosler ballistic tips and have the ability to go through one piggy and into another of similar size to those. Velocity counts for a lot too when hunting.

And congradulations, those guys are addicting once you get into it.