• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sudden goodbye to a dear friend

Seuss

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2001
York, PA USA mostly
Had a huge loss in our lives yesterday, our ~7 year old rescue golden Sammy, was outside playing w his step-sister while I was sorting hunting clothes on the porch.
Engaged in their usual hand to hand combat, she pushed him away from her, and Sammy fell backward in a very awkward way, landing full force on his tail/butt.
He went down instantly and I knew it wasn't good, he was gone in ~2 minutes. My wife and kids are 110 devastated, he was an amazing dog, gave us so much unconditional love and affection, we can't find words to explain how deeply we're hurting.
Zoey stands by the door and keeps looking outside, waiting for him to come around the corner, she refuses to lay on their dog beds.
Hug your dogs tight, and please say a prayer for our Sammy.

Attachments

• SammyZoey2.jpg
    SammyZoey2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 16
  • SammyZoey1.jpg
    SammyZoey1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 15
Sorry for your loss. We have a inside dog that is a american bull lab mix (we call a bullador) I dread this day!!!

My condolences as well. Only time I've seen my old man shed a tear is when we lost a dog.

Sorry to here that Seuss - I have 2 American Pits father/son pair and have always called them my other kid & grandkid - they definately get close to you - have to say dogs really are mans best friend - sounds like it was fairly quick so long term suffering wasn't a issue - hope you & your fam adjust well during the transition

Last edited:
I know the pain I lost my K-9 buddy Dakota about two weeks ago and it is a devastating pain. Time heals but it sucks at first.

Sorry for your loss. Good dogs do not live long enough. I had to put my black lab down 2 weeks ago. She was 11 and had cancer. She was a great friend and hunting partner. My yellow lab still looks for her.

Wow... I will hug my dogs tonight for sure. So easy to get into a pattern and not stop to give them their earned affection.

Thoughts are with you and your family, k9 family as well.

Wow, just another reminder how fragile life is, any life, I'm so very sorry for you and your family. I can't imagine what you're going through with the wife and kids. Wish I could somehow help, I will say an extra prayer for your family

Sorry to hear it. I have two GSDs and to say they're family is an understatement. Not looking forward to the day.

Had a huge loss in our lives yesterday, our ~7 year old rescue golden Sammy, was outside playing w his step-sister while I was sorting hunting clothes on the porch.
Engaged in their usual hand to hand combat, she pushed him away from her, and Sammy fell backward in a very awkward way, landing full force on his tail/butt.
He went down instantly and I knew it wasn't good, he was gone in ~2 minutes.

I'm sorry for your loss on this. It's extremely hard to lose a pet.

What did the fall cause? Was any type of examination done by a vet afterwards? An autopsy?

I ask because it's a cause for concern if it could happen as simply as it sounds. I feel that it would be important info for dog owners everywhere.

Sorry for the loss to your family. Just remember he's in a better place where he will never hurt again.

I'm sorry for your loss on this. It's extremely hard to lose a pet.

What did the fall cause? Was any type of examination done by a vet afterwards? An autopsy?

I ask because it's a cause for concern if it could happen as simply as it sounds. I feel that it would be important info for dog owners everywhere.

+1

I too am curious as to the circumstances of the fall and the injury it caused. I understand if you'd rather not talk about it though.

I spoke to a vet friend at some length about the fall, he said the odds of death being caused by a fall like I described are very low, and speculated on a few things that might have happened, most were attributed to an underlying condition we wouldn't have known about, that the fall triggered. I wasn't "all in" on the call, was hard enough to keep my composure and speak clearly.
I didn't take him for an autopsy as I did not want to put him through that, and at the end of the day the peace of mind we may have purchased would still be far outweighed by our grief at losing Sammy.
If I hadn't seen it happen out of the corner of my eye I wouldn't believe that it could and did happen.

Choover and Jstarsz, prayers sent for your companions.
John, yeah, August 30th (the day my son tore his ACL in his opening game) until now has been a test, appreciate the thoughts and prayers.
Thanks to all.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss man, my wife read this and she feels for you too. These dogs are family, I think everyone that has one knows what I'm saying.

So very sorry for your loss. Loosing a family member like that hurts terribly. I pray that your family is able to find peace soon.

Can I ask what was the cause? That's way too young for a 7 year old Golden to pass unexpectedly like that and so quickly. So horrible, goddamn I hate reading these posts. I too cannot bear the thought of the day when my little boys go as well. I am very sorry for your loss and I hope in due time you and your family will heal from it.