• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Suggested Barrel Manufacturer for my .17 Rem.

Ghostcoyote

Minuteman
Feb 26, 2010
Ohio
My groups on my .17 remington are starting to open up a little. I could probably have the chamber set back to get some more life out of her. I would also like feedback from hide members on what barrels they went with for re-barrel and resulting accuracy. This rifle is no safe queen! I shoot primarily 30 gr. bergers and 30gr. Woodchuck Den Bullets .090 Boattails. The rifle is :Remington LVSF in .17rem/ 22" barrel fluted. Twist rates are welcome as well.

Thanks in advance,

Re: Suggested Barrel Manufacturer for my .17 Rem.

Just about any of the top barrels(krieger, bartlien, shilen, etc) are all great barrels. I have a krieger on my 308 and I absolutely love it. Thats my input for ya

Thanks, I only wish Krieger or Bartlein made .172 none listed on their website, however Shilen does list one in two different twist rates. Thanks.

I would think a Pac-Nor three or four groove barrel would fit the bill nicely...

JMTCW...

There is one definitely to add to the list.

Thanks,

I have owned 3 17 Cal Pac-Nor 3 groove barrels. 1-17Mach IV and 2-17 remingtons. They are the best barrel that I have found for the 17 cal bullets.

I have been told by a great gunsmith that cut rifling gets pretty difficult on those small calibers so you a more likely to see them listed by button manufacturers as it makes no differance.

Go with the Pac Nor. No problems there.

First thanks to all that have responded, the information is definitely appreciated. I have had actions re-barreled before just not in my favorite small bore. Any views on Lilja barrels in .172 would also be appreciated.

Again thanks

I personally have a Krieger .17cal barrel, so I know they at least used to make them.

If you call Bruno's shooters supply in Phoenix, AZ you can see if they have any in stock, that's where I picked mine up at.

Onyx

I may just do that. I also thought they used to make them but the smallest caliber listed was .20. It may be a case of demand falling off for the venerable .172 bore. Thanks for the input.

Pac Nor super match and don't look back....even let them chamber n fit it for you, they do great work!

BnC

Nothing wrong with Lilja. They have a great reputation for rimfire barrels. I also know that a lot of varmint guys shooting fast 22's are useing the Pac Nor 3 groove and think that they are lasting longer. You can;t go wrong with either. I would probably lean toward Pac Nor. The 17's seem to be their bag.

Thanks all information is greatly appreciated gentleman!
Sounds like the 3 groove pac-nor is going to get the nod in a 1 in 10 twist. I was recently fumbling over barrel contour as well thinking light palma vs sendero contour in 22"to 24". Bore diameter is so small I think the difference will be a none issue, besides slight weight difference.

Again thanks to all, keep them coming with experience and results.

You are absolutely correct. The attrition rate on good barrels vs. what they through away in the early days was almost 4 to 1 good one. Douglas I do believe solved a lot of this problem with them inventing or pioneering the button rifling technique. I am speaking of the early days with P.O. Ackley and a couple of others that right now do not come to mind. I do believe that "Douglas" is still one of the primary suppliers for our military's designated rifleman barrels. I am sure this is for good reason.

Sadly, Lilja barrels are not what they used to be.
frown.gif

Regards, Paul.