• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suggestions/feedback for a new .223 build?

jdc0589

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2012
Alabama
I'm finally ready to get in to mid range shooting after never really going much further than 100 yards. Feedback and any suggestions would be awesome.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Application:</span> punching holes in paper and ringing steel at 100-600 yards. At first I will be shooting mainly at 100 yards until a new semi-local range is finished/opens. My local club is fairly pistol-centric and the 2 rifle ranges only go to ~100 yards. The new range, about to begin construction, is about an hour away and will have ranges from 100-1000 yards. There is also a local 300 yard range I may be able to use in the meantime. At some point in the future, after I'm competent and its time to re-barrel, I may want to try pushing .223 a little further with the super heavy bullets and a 1:7 or so twist barrel, but that's a ways off.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The platform</span>: A Stage 1 SPS Tactical in .223 from Scout Supply Company (1:9 twist). The only difference is mine will be 19.5in rather than 18in. The trigger is also going to be polished up and tuned down to minimal over-travel with a little bit of pre-travel (personal preference). Normally I would do basic trigger work myself, but for $30 its worth it to me to have a decent trigger right out of the box. Notable features of the rifle are the set back and re-cut .223 wylde chamber, trued action+bolt face and lugs, and a threaded barrel. I decided on .223 for a few reasons: I'm new to intermediate range shooting, I don't hunt, factory ammo isn't cost prohibitive, reloading is very very affordable, light recoil, great barrel life, and good enough effective range especially with heavier bullets.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Stock</span>: I'm going to shoot it in the crappy OEM Hogue stock for a bit. I'll have a look at it when it shows up, but if it shoots well I probably won't bother bedding the action unless I can find a good way to stiffen up the forward stock; its just going to depend on where the actual flex point is (these stocks are known to flex under pressure and contact the barrel).

<span style="font-weight: bold">Optics</span>: I'm leaning towards the Midway exclusive Vortex Viper HS Tactical 5-15x. I am going to be shooting at 100 yards some until the longer semi-local range is completed, and will probably continue to do so when I don't feel like making the hour drive to a longer range (my local club is pretty pistol-centric and the rifle ranges are only 100 yards). This is the absolute max I want to spend on optics for now. I also considered an SWFA SS HD 16x, but am leaning towards the Vortex. Any suggestions are welcome, but I do want a little more than 10x magnification.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Scope Base:</span> Not really sure on this one, I could use some suggestions. I would like to spend no more than $50-100. My gut is a 10moa base is a decent choice since I will do some shorter range shooting with it at first. Logic tells me a 20MOA base would be OK for a 100 yard zero given the 75MOA elevation travel of the Viper HS Tactical, but I could use some wisdom.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Rings:</span> No idea. Whats a solid 30mm set for $75ish or less.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Ammo:</span> For the first month or two I'm going to shoot factory ammo. I've got about a 150 rounds of decent factory loaded ammo ranging from 60gr to 77gr to try out (Remmington Trajetech HPBT Sierra Matchking 77 grain, Remmington UltraMatch 75gr, Barnes TSX 62gr, something I cant remember that's 66gr, and a couple boxes of cheaper 55-60gr to mess around with. The 7Xgr stuff is probably a bit much for the 1:9 barrel. I do currently reload 9mm and am planning to tool up for .223 by sometime in the spring.

Any feedback or suggestions would be great. I'm pretty new to a lot of this.

Re: Suggestions/feedback for a new .223 build?

I can't believe more experienced guys havent helped this new brother out. IMHO your choice of caliber is ok for distances involved. For my money I would go Remington PSS or Milspec. I like the 24-26" barrel better and the stock is much better. Later on if you replace the stock you'll get much more money for the HS than the SPSs Hogue (POS). The 1/9' barrel should handle 75 grain Hornadys. If not definitly 69s. I've had the SPS, the PSS, now I have the Milspec and will be staying with that. If you need a 1/7 barrel, seek Savage. For a real 600-1k I'd seek another caliber, .223 is stretching it.

Have you thought about a Remington 5R chambered in 223?

It comes from the factory with a HS Precision stock.

I had Russell build me a rifle in .223 like you I plan on shooting it no further than 700-800 yds. Your choice of items for your rifle seem really well though out and everything thing you chose is decent but i would definitely rethink keeping the stock unless your are just going to keep t until you have enough money saved up for a new one.

Here are the specs for the one he built me.

Trued SS 700 action
18" 1/8 twist Brux Barrel Remington Varmint profile
M5 Stealth bottom metal and mag from Stockys
B&C M40 stock
Badger oversize bolt knob
Skim bed stock
TPS rings
EGW 20 MOA rail
Bushnell 3200 10x

IMG_20121229_204134.jpg

IMG_20121229_204221-1.jpg

IMG_20121229_204303.jpg

IMG_20121229_204347.jpg

IMG_20121229_204405.jpg

IMG_20121229_204430.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdc0589</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At first I will be shooting mainly at 100 yards until a new semi-local range is finished/opens. My local club is fairly pistol-centric and the 2 rifle ranges only go to ~100 yards.
</div></div>

Don't know where you are in Alabama, but that sure sounds like Tri-State Gun Club. Scratch that.....just read in on of your other posts that you are near B-ham.

.223 will be great out to 500 or 600 yards and will be relatively inexpensive to shoot (compared to other calibers).
I second giving Russell at Scout Supply a call. He built me a Remington 700P in .308 and the dang thing really shoots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rich56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't believe more experienced guys havent helped this new brother out.</div></div>

I was starting to think I was breaking a forum rule or something, none of my posts had a response for a week or so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rich56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Later on if you replace the stock you'll get much more money for the HS than the SPSs Hogue (POS).
</div></div>

I'm with you on the stock, I know its a POS, but im going to be stuck at 100 yards for a few months so its not going to deal breaker. I've done some reading and there are a few quick fixes to help out with the stock contacting the barrel which I may try out depending on how it shoots (shimming, etc...). Plus, ill be shooting off a sled or bag for a bit, so I can move the support back a little closer to the action to keep the forward stock from flexing as much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rich56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If not definitely 69s.
</div></div>
Ive got ~120 factory rounds to play with ranging from 55gr to 77gr, simply because I won't be tooled up to reload .223 when the rifle arives. However, at the moment it looks like the 69gr Sierra HPBT Match King is going to be my first choice for reloading. Too bad everyone is out of stock.

IMHO your choice of caliber is ok for distances involved. For my money I would go Remington PSS or Milspec. I like the 24-26" barrel better and the stock is much better. For a real 600-1k I'd seek another caliber, .223 is stretching it.
</div></div>

If I get the urge to move past 600-700 yards I am definitely going to look in to another caliber, I just want something with cheap ammo/reloading for learning so I can get more trigger time. That is, unless I start seeing a lot more data on the 90gr bullets/loads, of course that would require a new barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slothlacrosse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you thought about a Remington 5R chambered in 223?
It comes from the factory with a HS Precision stock.</div></div>

I did, but I decided I didn't want to spend that much for the time being. I don't have a budget per se, but 1K-1.1k was more than I wanted to spend on just the rifle right now. Kind of glad I went ahead and put my order in for the SPS, I can usually be talked in to things....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peligro113</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had Russell build me a rifle in .223 like you I plan on shooting it no further than 700-800 yds. Your choice of items for your rifle seem really well though out and everything thing you chose is decent but i would definitely rethink keeping the stock unless your are just going to keep t until you have enough money saved up for a new one.
</div></div>

We are in agreement on the stock. I'm going in to it with the understanding that its coming off ASAP. Ill be shooting off a sled or range bag for a bit, so its not going to be as bad as it is off a bipod (flex is pretty bad with pressure far out on the swivel stud). I may also try shimming it if its not shooting well.

Great looking gun. I looked at the B&C a few days ago, looks like a damn good value.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jethro3898</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Don't know where you are in Alabama, but that sure sounds like Tri-State Gun Club. Scratch that.....just read in on of your other posts that you are near B-ham.

.223 will be great out to 500 or 600 yards and will be relatively inexpensive to shoot (compared to other calibers).
I second giving Russell at Scout Supply a call. He built me a Remington 700P in .308 and the dang thing really shoots.
</div></div>

Yep, I shoot at the FOP Range currently. They had a membership special in the fall that was too good a deal to pass up. Unfortunately I don't know of any longer public ranges within an hour or so (dont feel like joining another club at the moment).

I actually did give Russell a call around the 20th of last month and put the order in. The only difference from the normal Stage 1 build is I asked him to leave the barrel as long as possible to the nearest half inch after the chamber work; it should come in at 19.5in.