• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggestions for a CCW, but has to be .45ACP

Peepaw

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2010
Pearland, TX USA
Good morning guys and gals. I am looking for a CCW, and want it to be a .45 (all my other pistols, 1911's) are .45 and have a ton of ammo is why the want to stick to a 45. I am looking at the Glock G36 and 30's. Not dead set on the Glocks, but would like input from you other carriers and what you have been happy with. Thanks guys and gals.
Peepaw

Lots of options including the smaller sized 1911 pistols.

If you happen to want a H&K pistol, there is the HK45C which is does 8 or 10 round magazines, and is available with or without a threaded barrel (or have one of each).

Reactions: srtsam
I prefer my Sig 320's over the Glocks I have. What about a officer model 1911 since that is what you are used too. I have carried one of those quite a bit. Might be a little heavier that a poly gun. The thing I have learned is a good stiff belt and a quality holster make CCW much more enjoyable.

My suggestion would be go to your local store and grab different ones, see what you like, how they feel, and how you can manipulate each one.

Glocks are ugly but rarely fail. But without an exterior, mechanical safety, that can be an issue for some.

If you know and like 1911s, why not stick with it? Kimber makes some on the smaller side but are very expensive.

This kind of "opinion thread" will usually start circling the drain when guys start arguing why this choice is got, that choice is bad, and 9mm rules all. Everyone will have an opinion which may or may nor be right for you.

36 doesn't have enough to grip for me and mag capacity sucks (unless you're in a State that mandates sucky capacity). I love the 30. It's a lot of pistol to carry iwb though.

Glock is hard to beat. They are functional and dependable. The finish is ugly but I have carried a g27 for long time with only a clip draw for a holster and the finish is still near same as factory. They are ugly but shoot well. I think the single stack glock 45cal would be beneficial for ccw being narrower than my g27.
The kimber ultra carry fits my hands good. I had one and tried to carry appendix like my g27 but traded it off cuz beavertail grip safety was poking my belly too much.

Reactions: Peepaw
I prefer my Sig 320's over the Glocks I have. What about a officer model 1911 since that is what you are used too. I have carried one of those quite a bit. Might be a little heavier that a poly gun. The thing I have learned is a good stiff belt and a quality holster make CCW much more enjoyable.b

I prefer my Sig 320's over the Glocks I have. What about a officer model 1911 since that is what you are used too. I have carried one of those quite a bit. Might be a little heavier that a poly gun. The thing I have learned is a good stiff belt and a quality holster make CCW much more enjoyable.
Yeah, love my 1911's, but Im finally wanting something different. LOL. Never owned a Sig though. Like yours?

I get it, but not worried about who thinks this or that is better. Just wanting, and will respect each opinion given. I do like my 1911's, but just finally feeling need to go different path.
My suggestion would be go to your local store and grab different ones, see what you like, how they feel, and how you can manipulate each one.

Glocks are ugly but rarely fail. But without an exterior, mechanical safety, that can be an issue for some.

If you know and like 1911s, why not stick with it? Kimber makes some on the smaller side but are very expensive.

This kind of "opinion thread" will usually start circling the drain when guys start arguing why this choice is got, that choice is bad, and 9mm rules all. Everyone will have an opinion which may or may nor be right for you.

Yeah, love my 1911's, but Im finally wanting something different. LOL. Never owned a Sig though. Like yours?
I shot, rebuilt etc 1911s for decades. I now shoot one of the new Sigs. I love it.

inch-Webley-MKVI-45-ACP-PR44125-inch_101590723_96_DA97C68436B615C4.jpeg

I’m 6’2, 350lbs. I wear hoodies everyday. That being said, I carry a G21 in a comp-tac international and it is very comfortable and easy for me to keep concealed. Do you want suggestions on full size guns or compact guns?
Have you given any thought to a revolver in .45 with moon clips?

I like my Springfield XDS. My wife does too. She recently mentioned carrying & told me "I know you like me to use a revolver, but I like shooting the small one that takes the magazines". That's how I lost my XDS. Lol

Glock needs to get off their ass and develop a full size, striker fired, single stack, .45acp

The benefit of the 1911 is it's thin.....that makes it awesome to carry

The benefit of the glock is it's rounded edges, it's lighter weight, and it's striker fired

Just combine the 2 and put the death nail in the 1911 already.

Hell the shield .45 is 3/4 of the way there already.......just make the fucker full sized

I carry a Springfield XDS in .45 acp and really like it. Shooting someone twice is just silly.
I was looking at the XDS before I decided to by the Shield. To me, the grip was a little short and the damn thing was like a "cheese grater" in my hand and I work with my hands, so, not "soft" either.
My Smith, is the M2.0 version, so the grip is a little more "textured", then the origional Shield, but not a cheese grater. How do you like yours, out of curiosity? Mac

Glock needs to get off their ass and develop a full size, striker fired, single stack, .45acp

The benefit of the 1911 is it's thin.....that makes it awesome to carry

The benefit of the glock is it's rounded edges, it's lighter weight, and it's striker fired

Just combine the 2 and put the death nail in the 1911 already.

Hell the shield .45 is 3/4 of the way there already.......just make the fucker full sized
You sir, need to leave my 1911's alone! Mac:LOL:

I’m 6’2, 350lbs. I wear hoodies everyday. That being said, I carry a G21 in a comp-tac international and it is very comfortable and easy for me to keep concealed. Do you want suggestions on full size guns or compact guns?
Have you given any thought to a revolver in .45 with moon clips?
Yes, carry only, no full size. Got plenty of those (well, I have quite a few...we cant have too many now can we? LOL). Just not a revolver fan, unless it's something like a .44 Mag with some HP behind her

I like the Glock 30. I chose it over the 36 because of capacity. I also like the ability to use the glock 21 mags in the 30.

Reactions: WAMBO
M&P is an underrated glock clone/striker. Much more of a mid-size.

Shout out for my latest BAE Walther as well. Nice offerings. No one really makes a "bad" pistol these days from major mfg.

Ok shut up about hi point. they aren't major;

CZ, Glock, Walther, Springfield, H&K, etc... I'm sure I personally slighted someone for forgetting their brand.

But if you are gonna go big--Rock Island Double Stack (Its a para-ordanance that works). Big, Fat. Heavy. 14+1 of FU and the horse you rode in on. Because why the hell not.

If I was being practical, M&P/Springer/CZ mid size. Glock doesn't have one.

And they are ugly.

I was looking at the XDS before I decided to by the Shield. To me, the grip was a little short and the damn thing was like a "cheese grater" in my hand and I work with my hands, so, not "soft" either.
My Smith, is the M2.0 version, so the grip is a little more "textured", then the origional Shield, but not a cheese grater. How do you like yours, out of curiosity? Mac

The newer version does have rougher grips. I know a guy who sanded the sharp corners off of his grips.

You sir, need to leave my 1911's alone! Mac:LOL:
Haha hey listen, you are talking to a guy that regularly carries an ivory handled colt 1911...I love the damn things...

Buuuuuut the design is starting to get long in the tooth and will be forgotten once our lord and savior, Gaston Glock, finally perfects his über volkspistol.

Reactions: 10ring'r
Like the OP, I "grew up" on 1911s. I'd suggest to the OP to consider another 1911. Years ago I finally settled on a SigSauer GSR. I had three reasons for staying with the 1911 platform:

1) Most importantly, I trained for years exclusively with a 1911; muscle memory has me thumbing for the safety as the sight picture focusses without any thought. I found that that and the "double action" of the first shot on my SW M&P or my friend's Glock to be too much of an adjustment in training.

2) Like the OP, I've got PLENTY of 45acp ammo

3) I'm already outfitted with 1911 magazines and a favorite holster.

For me, the GSR wasn't that much of a compromise between my WC SuperGrade or the CT Brians I used to carry. I decided to go with a "production" gun because I figured if I ever had it confiscated (or "lost", say at a hospital), I'd be 'way less sorry to lose a Sig than the WC or a CT Brian.

Springfield Ultra Compact. Alumagrips to narrow the grip. Base pads on all mags, another 3/16" for your little finger. Extra mag pouch. Ambi safety. Lump on the grip safety. And the most important .. a few extra recoil springs. In these small packages they will only last about 500 rounds. Change even if you think the slide is getting easier to cycle, then test fire it.

Thank you,
MrSmith

^^^This.

Any quality pistol will serve you well but its what you feel most comfortable with that will serve you BEST. Ive always been a Colt 1911 sort of guy, owned full size, commanders and a compact. I bought a Glock 30 because ...Glock. Theyre tough and always go bang and wont corrode if its near your skin with IWB. After carrying it for awhile I just didnt like it, didnt fit my hand so I didnt shoot it much. Went back to my Colt 1991 A1 stainless steel compact. Its smaller and just feels like a cold bottle of beer sliding into my hand on a hot day. It has a couple less rounds but if I carry spare mags the Chip McCormick 8 rounders work just fine.

YMMV

It really is tough to beat a 1911. Just so tempted to go other route. I've got 5 1911's...just no carry. You guys are making me head back in that direction though.
Look at a Colt Compact or Defender in stainless. Smaller and easier carry.

Love my Colt Custom Shop 1911’s. .45 & 10mm. But for CC I prefer my XDS .45

Attachments

• B09AD943-79EB-4B8A-BB9E-1BBDB8E9E887.jpeg
    B09AD943-79EB-4B8A-BB9E-1BBDB8E9E887.jpeg
    955.1 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: wh20crazy
Go finger bang some at your local shop. I'd go with the M&P shield, you can get with or w/o the thumb safety.

That^

Love mine...especially when it carries as many rounds as my 1911’s at half the weight. I’m not as fast with it as my 1911s, probably because it’s so much lighter but first round and slow fire it keeps up in the accuracy department.

For personal carry I run the glock 19. The glock 21 is of a little bigger and would be my go to. the external safety is built into the trigger system. You could slam them on ground, throw it down the street and it will discharge a round. And a glock always functions.

you can’t go wrong with a glock,

Last edited:
Reactions: Slash0311
Ed Brown Commander... Stainless, bobtail, etc. I have in .45, 9mm and .38 Super. They even make an officer's frame now.

I carried a G36 for 10 years or so. Would have swapped it for a 30 or 30s, but never did.

1911 for 40-odd years.

Built a Gen 4 30S from a G29 grip and a 36 upper because they don't make 'em in Gen 4. Gained 2 rounds and dropped a half pound.

DSC00882_JPG-1890268.JPG

But if you are gonna go big--Rock Island Double Stack (Its a para-ordanance that works). Big, Fat. Heavy. 14+1 of FU and the horse you rode in on. Because why the hell not.
I use to carry a Amer. Tac. "Fatboy" years ago. It fit the description as your PO. Philippine made, but, actually was a great gun, but, heavy as F! 13 rnds. of 230gr. H.P., but did I mention...Heavy! Traded it off for my Shield .45. Mac:cool:

either of these will do. if it has to be .45 ACP, choose the bottom. I like having 8 rds, so tend to carry the top one. With 180 gr solid lead Buffalo Bores when out walking the dogs. Bear season all the time in suburban CT. I'd recommend a decent belt...

IMG_0518.JPG