• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggestions for a CCW, but has to be .45ACP

I have a Kimber, Sig, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat in .45 ACP...........they all shoot well, but my EDC is a Wilson Combat EDCX9.......

My choice for a 1911 CCW. Springfield Armory Champion. You can get it with or without the bob tail. I also like the VZ thin grips. I like the G Code Incog holster for this gun.

83CCE5AD-A7B1-43B7-9B46-5B1F74851DC1_1_201_a.jpeg

Reactions: devildog93
I'll add another vote for Glock 30. Carried one for about 12 years as a CCW. About two years ago started carrying a Keltec P11 for size reduction. I still carry the 30 depending on where or when I'm going, back up mag is a G21. G21 is nightstand gun.

My EDC is a Beretta Px4 full size in 9mm and stainless as I'm a DA/SA Hammer Fired pistol whore but they make the same gun in .45 ACP...

Rotating barrel means the recoil/muzzle flip is (truly) much reduced over the 1911/Browning design...mag cap is huge. I have had Glocks and love them but will not carry them as a CCL. I shoot them fine but prefer hammer fired DA/SA pistols with de cockers. If the OP absolutley must have a .45 ACP but is wanting to branch out from the 1911 design I suggest the Beretta Px4 Storm...haven't shot one but my 9mm Storm rocks like a mini machine gun and I highly recommend a test drive if you can arrange that.

VooDoo

I had a g30S gen 3 for my first glock. Wish I hadn't gotten rid of it... don't forget the Kriss vector mag

I grew up shooting and competing with 1911s so the thumb safety is an integral part of my draw stroke and grip. In an OC holster I carry my 1911's but for CC, no way can I comfortably hide that big horse.

My CC is a S&W Shield 9 w/ thumb safety.

Reactions: 10ring'r
i had a wilson combat professional lightweight in .45 that was a pretty nice carry gun. if you have a buncha 1911's in .45, this would suit you pretty good. i just wanted a little more capacity than a .45 single stack allows. current carry is a glock 43x, 15 rounds of 9mm with aftermarket metal mags.

My wife carries a Springfield XDS in .45 acp.

Sometimes in a bustier holster sometimes a purse. She likes it. 6 + 1 single stack.

Kind of twanges my hand after a couple of mags but manageable.

Thinner than my 9mm.

M&P 2.0 performance center with RDS and ported barrel.

And lol and someone sanding down the grip because of too much texture.

Love my shield.

11866_01_lg_0.jpg

Reactions: 10ring'r
I carry a Springfield XDs .45 at work. One of the easier firearms to conceal, even with the +1 mag. I needed a compact handgun, since I’m always bending and crawling, and I’m technically not supposed to carry at work, so I have to keep it out of sight. I appendix carry it, and am very pleased how it rides.

When I’m not at work, my go-to is a Glock 19.

I rebuild/customize 1911s for myself and clients; have a fleet of them. But if you're serious about CCW: Sig P220 carry all day, every day.

1911 for men.jpg

Last edited:
My everyday carry, Kimber Ultra Carry II...very comfortable.

My suggestion would be go to your local store and grab different ones, see what you like, how they feel, and how you can manipulate each one.

Glocks are ugly but rarely fail. But without an exterior, mechanical safety, that can be an issue for some.

If you know and like 1911s, why not stick with it? Kimber makes some on the smaller side but are very expensive.

This kind of "opinion thread" will usually start circling the drain when guys start arguing why this choice is got, that choice is bad, and 9mm rules all. Everyone will have an opinion which may or may nor be right for you.

Ditto. Pretty much every response can be summed up as, "What I carry is best," and every response is correct...for that person. Same with ammo, reloading equipment, scopes, sex toys...

Reactions: Slash0311
I have really liked my HK45c. Reliable, very concealable, and a few places can mill out the slide for a red dot if you want. Capacity isn't the greatest though.

Xdm 45 was my first ccw, double stack, easy to conceal, and way more shootable than the Xds.

Xds is easy to conceal, but mine jammed at the range so I have to put a lot more rounds through it before I really trust it. Shootable, but not fun to run tons of mags through at one time.

Glock 21 is the easiest to rack the slide (that matters to some people) but obviously big to conceal, but some have managed. A haley strategic trigger helps the usual glock creep.

M&p 45 is fine, not my favorite or my least favorite, just kind of white bread...

I’ve enjoyed carrying my shield 45 with a +1 base. Doesn’t really impact conce-alability and gives me 8+1 of 23 HST in a comparably trim and light package.

Sig made a compact 1911 for a while. It runs well, very reliable.

Kahr does a fine job with their small carry guns, all available in .45 acp. Never had a problem with them. Trigger pull a bit long, but very smooth.

Reactions: canman
Arsen Arms AF2011A1 for double your pleasure.

Attachments

• 6C416EE2-BF60-4A1E-991B-BEC2F3EBAADB.jpeg
    6C416EE2-BF60-4A1E-991B-BEC2F3EBAADB.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 46
I knew I wanted Glock in 45 ACP so went to my local range and shot every model they had. The only one that felt at all comfortable was the G21. Actually got a blister after just a mag with the 36. I figured I'd rather be a little uncomfortable carrying a large gun than really uncomfortable shooting a smaller one. I'm 6' 205-240 pounds (before/after holidays!) and don't have a problem with an IWB holster with a light shirt or t-shirt, or even an OWB under a big loose shirt/jacket/hoodie. Gun does pinch a bit after a few hours in the car, but then I could also just take it out and put it on or under the seat! Don't really notice it walking around or doing stuff.

One suggestion for a lot of in and out of a vehicle.

My favorite style of holster has what the manufacturer describes as an FBI cant or sweep.

The barrel tilts back a bit and I find more comfortable for the in and out muliple stops.

It also draws well.
20210405_142159.jpg

Nothing fancy just a mans regular.

Last edited:
If you’re going to limit your capacity with a fat round, why not go 10mm and at least get something out of the deal?

If you’re going to limit your capacity with a fat round, why not go 10mm and at least get something out of the deal?

I've never limited my capacity. I always load the mags with eight rounds...and carry spares.

I've never limited my capacity. I always load the mags with eight rounds...and carry spares.

I mean normally a gun that’s offered in 9 or 45, if you got 8 of 45 the same gun would take more rounds in the 9mm model

Why not use the platform/caliber that works best for "you?"

For sure, to each their own, but in that context I’d CCW a 22LR, actually the 380 version of my CCW shoots much smoother and nicer than my 9.

I just figure a CCW is a straight combat weapon, <7yrd shots, high stress, if it can go wrong it will, reloads might not be practical, as much energy on target as fast as possible.

Based on the CCTV shooting videos I’ve seen, gel tests, etc I don’t get 45 outside of the romance of it, I’d love to have a WWII 45 1911, but not for CCW duty.

For the task 9mm HSTs seem to make sense, something can also be said for 40 capacity to energy ratio, outside of human type threats 357sig (kinda sorta), 10mm makes tons of sense, 44mag and up if you’re way up north, I just can’t wrap my head around 45, 380, etc. However based on some of the homicides in ghetto areas, 380s 22s 410s and kitchen knives all seem to be able to stack bodies, I just think with foresight and the ability to choose, if you’re going to sacrifice quantity for diameter, why not just go 10mm.

Like quarters in a video game, more you have the longer you’re going to be in the game, if I’m giving up my game time I really need each round to count quantifiably so

To each their own :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
For sure, to each their own, but in that context I’d CCW a 22LR, actually the 380 version of my CCW shoots much smoother and nicer than my 9.

I just figure a CCW is a straight combat weapon, <7yrd shots, high stress, if it can go wrong it will, reloads might not be practical, as much energy on target as fast as possible.

Based on the CCTV shooting videos I’ve seen, gel tests, etc I don’t get 45 outside of the romance of it, I’d love to have a WWII 45 1911, but not for CCW duty.

For the task 9mm HSTs seem to make sense, something can also be said for 40 capacity to energy ratio, outside of human type threats 357sig (kinda sorta), 10mm makes tons of sense, 44mag and up if you’re way up north, I just can’t wrap my head around 45, 380, etc. However based on some of the homicides in ghetto areas, 380s 22s 410s and kitchen knives all seem to be able to stack bodies, I just think with foresight and the ability to choose, if you’re going to sacrifice quantity for diameter, why not just go 10mm.

Like quarters in a video game, more you have the longer you’re going to be in the game, if I’m giving up my game time I really need each round to count quantifiably so

Knew a guy that lived and breathed tactical journals. He once scoffed at the notion of me carrying a back up mag as gunfights lasted three seconds/three rounds. I said, "So, you only load three rounds?"

I go back to one of my earlier posts: Started carrying a Government Model before we knew it was to big and too heavy. In 30 years I suspect younger generations will scoff at Glocks for carry. As Prof Massey said, "You are what you were when."

Many folks live in states that limit the amount of freedom a gun can carry.
In that case a .45 is a really nice option.
10mm (in a power load that is worth having) is often too snappy for a lot of folks, especially out of a light gun.

9mm has capacity going for it and smaller / thinner / lighter guns.
Sure you can make yourself feel good about the 9mm by watching a bunch of YouTube videos where some 9mm evangelist runs the latest, greatest +P+ 9mm SD round vs some old 1911 ball ammo. Try that same test again using the latest greatest +P .45 ACP ammunition and things come out differently.

The usual reason carrying a .45 isn't done as much, is size and weight.

Nobody has ever wanted to have less rounds in a fight, but at the same time, whatever gun you can hit most accurately, first shot and then repeat shots with is probably going to trump most other points in an actual fight.

Reactions: Snuby642
Knew a guy that lived and breathed tactical journals. He once scoffed at the notion of me carrying a back up mag as gunfights lasted three seconds/three rounds. I said, "So, you only load three rounds?"

I go back to one of my earlier posts: Started carrying a Government Model before we knew it was to big and too heavy. In 30 years I suspect younger generations will scoff at Glocks for carry. As Prof Massey said, "You are what you were when."

I hear ya, but I’ll say right now if a Star Trek phaser came out, I’d CCW it :)

Many folks live in states that limit the amount of freedom a gun can carry.
In that case a .45 is a really nice option.
10mm (in a power load that is worth having) is often too snappy for a lot of folks, especially out of a light gun.

9mm has capacity going for it and smaller / thinner / lighter guns.
Sure you can make yourself feel good about the 9mm by watching a bunch of YouTube videos where some 9mm evangelist runs the latest, greatest +P+ 9mm SD round vs some old 1911 ball ammo. Try that same test again using the latest greatest +P .45 ACP ammunition and things come out differently.

The usual reason carrying a .45 isn't done as much, is size and weight.

Nobody has ever wanted to have less rounds in a fight, but at the same time, whatever gun you can hit most accurately, first shot and then repeat shots with is probably going to trump most other points in an actual fight.

What round has a faster target reacquisition time 9 or 45?

Statist BS “laws” aside, If pistol X in 45 takes 40% less ammo in the same frame, will each round of 45 do 140% the damage of a the same FMJHP in 9?

For me, with critical gun stuff like CCW, it’s like vaccinations, I just weigh the numbers between both options and pick the best number and train to proficiency with said equipment.

Last edited:
Statist BS “laws” aside, If pistol X in 45 takes 40% less ammo in the same frame, will each round of 45 do 140% the damage of a the same FMJHP in 9?

Most likely yes, depending on ammunition.

A lot depends on the threat.
Generally if you are looking at a lone attacker you probably won't be shooting more than 5 or so regardless.

If you are throwing a party for Antifa and need to bring enough party favours for everyone, then capacity rules
(and where is your AR?) Same goes for a home invasion group.

Reactions: TurboTrout
Most likely yes, depending on ammunition.

A lot depends on the threat.
Generally if you are looking at a lone attacker you probably won't be shooting more than 5 or so regardless.

If you are throwing a party for Antifa and need to bring enough party favours for everyone, then capacity rules
(and where is your AR?) Same goes for a home invasion group.

So you’re saying a 45 HST will do 140% the damage of a 9 HST?

In a Alamo situation, it’s ether to get to your rifle/cover, or it’s going to be just making them earn it before you’re dead, thankfully those situations seem pretty rare.

I’ve also seen in many of the group attack videos, when the first guys head goes pop, the rest run away most of the time.

In many home invasions just the sight of the gun with a aggressive home owner behind it gets them running, that worked for me in that situation

I think for many, if rounds are fired it’s going to be at one attacker or one coyote/aggressive dog.

I was looking at the XDS before I decided to by the Shield. To me, the grip was a little short and the damn thing was like a "cheese grater" in my hand and I work with my hands, so, not "soft" either.
My Smith, is the M2.0 version, so the grip is a little more "textured", then the origional Shield, but not a cheese grater. How do you like yours, out of curiosity? Mac
I bought some tape custom made for the xds that fills some of the 'cheese grater' grip. I usually run about 4 or 5 magazines at a time at the range and I've never experienced chaffing on my hands. I work outside on a farm but have pretty soft hands. I like the gun because it's easy to conceal, I shoot it really well and really quick considering it's a 3.3" .45 acp. I shoot it better and faster than I do my sig 938. Damn nice little gun that makes at least .45" holes.

@EddieNFL and @TurboTrout The 1911 weighs in at 40 oz. 1.2" thick, the Glock 21 is 38 oz. 1.34" thick, and the Glock 30 is 34 oz. 1.38" thick (Empty weights thickness from web sites. I can weigh and post if anyone wants real world numbers.) Golden Sabre .45 ACP +P185 gn chronos at 1013 fps avg from the Glock 30 (10 round average my gear). I never felt under gunned with the 30 and +P's. The .45 +P's are the same velocity as 10mm Federal Hydra Shok, but low end for some of the higher pressure 10mm, Buffalo Bore, etc..

Last edited:
My EDC is a Sig Ultra Compact 1911. It's not on their website so I guess they don't make them anymore. Great pistol. I have 1000's of rounds thru it and it still is accurate and functions flawlessly

@EddieNFL and @TurboTrout The 1911 weighs in at 40 oz. 1.2" thick, the Glock 21 is 38 oz. 1.34" thick, and the Glock 30 is 34 oz. 1.38" thick (Empty weights thickness from web sites. I can weigh and post if anyone wants real world numbers.) Golden Sabre .45 ACP +P185 gn chronos at 1013 fps avg from the Glock 30 (10 round average my gear). I never felt under gunned with the 30 and +P's. The .45 +P's are the same velocity as 10mm Federal Hydra Shok, but low end for some of the higher pressure 10mm, Buffalo Bore, etc..

See, too big and heavy to carry. If I had known that in 1974, who knows what I would carry.

I count on the size of the muzzle to just scare away any threats.

Gov 1911 in one hand, dick in the other. Aint nobody messing with that.
1617710352483.png

@Peepaw , not sure if you mentioned how you wanted to carry. If it's IWB, a 1911 variant is gonna be slim and probably comfortable. If OWB but under a jacket or something and you really want to keep it concealed, again a 1911 variant will be a good one. If you want OWB and don't really care about it being "concealed", a glock, Springfield, or S&W will do you fine, or even a HK USP Compact (it's not THAT compact) or the HK45 Compact. Biggest downside to the HK45 is that it only holds 8rnds standard and the extended 10-round mags are hard to get ahold of. USPC mags are easier to find, I think. As for the no-thumb-safety-on-a-glock thing, there are thumb safety kits you can install/have installed and AFAIK Glock will still keep the pistol under warranty if it's installed, if that's an issue for you.

I'm not sure 9mm is up to the task either. I saw a video of that female cop who emptied a complete mag in-between clearing a stoppage like a champ and that was barely enough. I'm not sure many could have done a better job than her, yet that weapon was almost not enough. She was definitely walking the line. Do we have videos of .45 acp doing the same thing? I haven't seen any. It may just be that handguns in general suck and that is the best you can do. It sure was not impressive other than her skills. Looking at her i never would have guessed she had that level of skill in a pressure situation.

This is of course is completely unscientific and only my observation but during my Fire/EMS days I went to a shit ton of GSW's. If it was an indoor shooting and the empty brass was visible as I recall I never had a live victim with .45ACP brass around. If the patient was alive of course we weren't looking around we were in load and go mode, and rarely did we ever later hear what caliber was involved. But if we had time I saw a lot of dead ones that got dead from .45ACP. Just my observations

Kahr C series ? Pre Biden they could be had for in the $300-350 range. As much quality there as most $500 brands IMO.

CT 4" barrel 7+1
CW 3 5/8" 6+1

Or, they offer more expensive models as well.

I rebuild/customize 1911s for myself and clients; have a fleet of them. But if you're serious about CCW: Sig P220 carry all day, every day.

View attachment 7597737
I agree, the Sig P220 would be very excellent. It is narrow enough to CCW relatively easily. Carries 8 rounds, and uses single stack mags. Gray Guns makes aftermarket trigger parts, which are great. I have 7 Sigs, and they all have GGI upgrade parts.

Hard cast 10mm; 5 feet of penetration (that’s what she said?)

From what I've read, shouldn't you just rack the action on an 870?

Not much of a 870 guy, in my case it was a SVI .40, frankly I’m glad they ran, at the time I didn’t have the $100k or so it costs to avoid getting victimized by the state, for not allowing myself to be victimized by some would be home invasion scum bags.