• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Suggestions for a hunting sight upgrade... ?

phightower

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2011
North Florida
I've been using the 870 stock vented barrel with the bead for about 2 years. It works well enough (for turkeys) but I've never felt it was "precise" for flying birds and won't go near a deer with it.

Any suggestions... pros/cons?

Re: Suggestions for a hunting sight upgrade... ?

Weaver 870 scope mount and a dot sight. Big improvement over a bead and ramp; they can be adjusted for patterning. It's the only system I can comfortably employ using both eyes. Very effective for deer, probably also for turkey, would like to see how they work on clay birds.

I modified an 870 mount for use on my Charles Daly 20ga semi; works fine.

Greg

I Think this is the one I have been hearing is a very sturdy option for cheap-ish.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for or not.

http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/reddot/731303/

Also, for birds on the wing...if you're relying on being able to really see your sight/bead you have some fundumental flaws in your technique. Work on your mount and cheek weld.

As my skeet coach used to loving say from time to time: "Watch the bird; not the gun, F__KHEAD!"
laugh.gif
Watching your barrel tends to result in a stopped barrel and a missed bird. A very low-profile bead helps bring my scores way up. Might want to just take the extra junk off when your hunting birds. Just a thought.

Hmmm...when I would get in a hurry trying to swing too fast ahead of targets, he used to also threaten to tie one end of a fishing line to my muzzle and the other to my...well, you get the idea. ha. He was quite the charmer.

-The Kid.

Hunted with an 870SP synthetic turkey gun for many years, and hunted all game with this one gun. Later tried several optics and a red dot but found I just prefered those beads.

Burris Speed bead has been on my turkey gun for the last two season. I love it.

DSC_0960.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, for birds on the wing...if you're relying on being able to really see your sight/bead you have some fundumental flaws in your technique. Work on your mount and cheek weld.

As my skeet coach used to loving say from time to time: "Watch the bird; not the gun, F__KHEAD!"
laugh.gif
Watching your barrel tends to result in a stopped barrel and a missed bird. A very low-profile bead helps bring my scores way up. Might want to just take the extra junk off when your hunting birds. Just a thought.</div></div>

What he said.

I took a clays lesson last year & the instructor handed me a shotgun with no bead or ramp at all. With nothing to sight with, we worked on mounting the gun & cheek weld.

When I transitioned back to my shotgun, I was getting higher scores on the sporting clays field and hit more birds in the field.