• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater suggestions for a new book to read...

balls2elwall

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2008
Tampa, FL
hey, im just finishing Isniper and want a little break from the swagger family, its getting a little predictable although i do like the bob lee books, ive read the berets by griffin and didnt care for his style of writing, ive read all of the silent warrior and marine sniper 93 confirmed kills and loved both, ive read john ringos ghost and liked it although the main character creeped me out, so any suggestions?

Re: suggestions for a new book to read...

i just read "the apostle" by brad thor it was a pretty good book about contracted operators in afghanistan. its fiction but still a good read. im starting another one of brad thor's books called takedown, ill let you know how it is when i finish it.

Alan Furst's early WWII spy novels.
Steig Larson's Dragon Tattoo trilogy.
Sjowall and Waloo's Martin Beck mysteries.
Martin Cruz Smith's Arkady Renko mysteries: Gorky Park, Polar Star, Red Square, Havana Bay, Wolves Eat Dogs

The books by Brad Thor and Vince Flynn are good.

Another good author to check out is Charles McCarry. Great author and former CIA field operator during the Cold War. Lindy turned me on to him awhile back. Start with Tears of Autumn where the main character is introduced.

Classic H.G. Wells right now, and it's surprisingly good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i just read "the apostle" by brad thor it was a pretty good book about contracted operators in afghanistan. its fiction but still a good read. im starting another one of brad thor's books called takedown, ill let you know how it is when i finish it. </div></div>

Takedown is one of my favorite books of all time. Its the only Brad Thor book that I really liked. Vince Flynn is my favorite author by far.

I just finished "8 Lives Down", by Major Chris Hunter. It's a book on British EOD operations in Iraq. It's a non-fiction account of one operator's experiences, pretty solid book.

i just finished "Takedown" by brad thor, it was an amazing read. i wasnt able to put it down luckly i didnt have to work the day i started reading it, finished the same day. im on the lookout for more btad thor books, hes a great author

Just finnished "Dear mom, a snipers vietnam" Joseph t ward.
Verry good.

tom clancy. my favorite is rainbow 6 but the newest one is pretty good aswell. its called dead or alive (or somthing like that)

brad thor seems like my kind of author, is their a constant character and if so which book first?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tom clancy. my favorite is rainbow 6 but the newest one is pretty good aswell. its called dead or alive (or somthing like that) </div></div>

Clancy's "Red Storm Rising" is the best so called techno thriller I've ever read. Its a long but great read.
John Ross's "Unintended Consequences" is also a long one, but once read, you won't forget it. Its a very controversial book. Google it if you're curious.

If you like military history/non-fiction Andy McNabb (former SAS Op) is a good author and his books are well written. If you like fact based fiction, William Forstchen's A Second After is fantastic. It about the US after an EMP strike. If you like the history of the west, there is a book about Kit Carson's life called Blood and Thunder. That one is a tuff read but interesting if your into it.

All Tom Clancy’s books are good reads but my favorites are;

Red storm rising (2nd best)
Debt of honor
Executive orders (this one should be read after debt of honor as it is an immediate sequel)
Rainbow six
The Bear and the Dragon (my personal favorite)

Also, Without Remorse is going to the movie's some time this year.

Oliver North's ficton series is real good too.

The thing I like about these authors is they don’t talk about tactics or hardware that doesn’t all ready exist and they know their stuff. I have a short attention span for things made up if it’s not believable.

<span style="font-style: italic">Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting</span> is a real page-turner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: balls2elwall</div><div class="ubbcode-body">brad thor seems like my kind of author, is their a constant character and if so which book first? </div></div>

Scot Harvath
1. The Lions Of Lucerne (2001)
2. Path of the Assassin (2003)
3. State of the Union (2004)
4. Blowback (2005)
5. Takedown (2006)
6. The First Commandment (2007)
7. The Last Patriot (2008)
8. The Apostle (2009)
9. Foreign Influence (2010)

Actually Oliver North has authored a few excellent books. They're a few of the best I've read.

New guy here... have been doing a lot of reading recently,, John Ringo's Ghost was ok.. didn't care for the deviant stuff but try his 'Into the Looking Glass' series.. the science is deep and theoretical but the combat suits would be cool .. good travel paperback

wondering if any of you would be interested in trading books rather than having to go out to purchase new or ordering them. i would think if the trade was agreed upon each member just ship the book and all you have is shipping. prolly 5 bucks if you use usps flat rate box.

just a thought and wanted to see if there would be any interest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DGUNN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wondering if any of you would be interested in trading books rather than having to go out to purchase new or ordering them. i would think if the trade was agreed upon each member just ship the book and all you have is shipping. prolly 5 bucks if you use usps flat rate box.

just a thought and wanted to see if there would be any interest. </div></div>

Check out Paper Back Swap. I have used it several times in the past, both as donnor and recipient, and it works pretty well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DGUNN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wondering if any of you would be interested in trading books rather than having to go out to purchase new or ordering them. i would think if the trade was agreed upon each member just ship the book and all you have is shipping. prolly 5 bucks if you use usps flat rate box.

just a thought and wanted to see if there would be any interest. </div></div>

Check out Paper Back Swap. I have used it several times in the past, both as donnor and recipient, and it works pretty well.
</div></div>

will do. thanks. i guess i was just more thinking it would be good with a tight forum like this so someone is less likely to get screwed. my .02

Happy Endings: The Tales of A Meaty-Breasted Zilch by Jimmy Norton. Make for a good change of pace.

I like the <span style="font-style: italic">Dresden Files</span> sequence by Jim Butcher. Offbeat, but gripping.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Happy Endings: The Tales of A Meaty-Breasted Zilch by Jimmy Norton. Make for a good change of pace. </div></div>

You gotta love Jim Norton. Huge O&A fan!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el diablo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertrat1979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Happy Endings: The Tales of A Meaty-Breasted Zilch by Jimmy Norton. Make for a good change of pace. </div></div>

You gotta love Jim Norton. Huge O&A fan!</div></div>

I just saw him last Friday down in Vegas. out-fucking-standing show.

How about 'Known and Unknown', by Donald Rumsfeld. If you are into a bit of 'domestic history', a pretty good read.

"You don't know what you don't know, until you know what you don't know." (Donald Rumsfeld)

If you haven't read Patrick O'brien's Aubrey, Maturin series, (20+ books, which my favorite movie of all time - "Master and Commander" is based on) then get crackin'. Tom Clancy has been mentioned. Jeff Edward's "Torpedo" is in the Clancy vein of military techno-thriller and every bit as thoroughly researched and believably "Wow, this could actually happen.". I don't think anyone on this forum has read Hugh Laurie's "The Gun Seller". Yes, it's the same Hugh Laurie that plays House on FOX TV. H.L. lets rip a snort inducing, lol action adventure, roll on the floor spy-thriller.

Wow, nice to see that someone else has read the O'Brien novels. I have all 20 and have read several twice or three times. Fantastic novels.I'll have to try your other suggestions, like Edwards and Laurie. Always looking for a good read. If there is anyone here who hasn't read Godfather - get to it!

I have enjoyed all of Frederick Forsyths books, Three that stick out are

The Cobra
The Afghan
The Veteran - short story, awesome read

He also wrote a book of short stories with a massive twist in the plots, Of which "the Veteran" was one.

Also Mafia Novels by Mario Puzo.

+1 on Marcus Lutrell - Lone Survivor, gripping read

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JeremyNzl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have enjoyed all of Frederick Forsyths books, Three that stick out are

The Cobra
The Afghan
The Veteran - short story, awesome read

Also Mafia Novels by Mario Puzo.

+1 on Marcus Lutrell - Lone Survivor, gripping read
</div></div>

If you like Forsyth, you should read The Avenger. Its my favorite book of his.

Military:
"Lone Survivor" Marcus Luttrell,
"Afgantsy" Rodric Braithwaite,
Educational/Historical:
"A Short History of Nearly Everything" Bill Bryson,
"Underworld" Graham Hancock,
Comedy:
"You Suck" Christopher Moore,
"Bite Me" Christopher Moore,
General Fiction:
"The Secret History" Donna Tartt,

If you are a J.R.R Tolkien fan, try the <span style="text-decoration: underline">Silmarillion</span>. It is basically the "back story" to the LOTR and The Hobbit.

I'm a sci-fi guy, so I recommend The Skinner by Neal Asher, and then you would want to read the rest of his stuff. Cowl is particularly good. Snowcrash and The Diamond Age are both great books from Neal Stephenson, as well.

Alex Berenson is pretty good, and as stated Vince Flynn is awesome

i know its not really an interesting read but i learned allot from understanding firearm ballistics by Robert A Linker

On a WWII Pacific theater bent right now. After watching the HBO series, I wanted to read the books.

Just read 'With the Old Breed' (Sledge), 'Helmet for my Pillow (Leckie),' 'One Square Mile of Hell (Wukovitz)' and 'Goodbye Darkness' (Manchester, who also wrote America Caesar the definitive McArthur bio.)

Not only are all four books superbly written, but they leave one awestruck at the brutality the island campaign and give an appreciation of how amazing the WWII Marines were.

The fact that Helmet for my Pillow, Old Breed and Goodbye Darkness" were written by a privates and NCO's gave an amazing 'worms eye view' of these campaigns.

Highly recommend all four.

Cheers,

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpretle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about 'Known and Unknown', by Donald Rumsfeld. If you are into a bit of 'domestic history', a pretty good read.

"You don't know what you don't know, until you know what you don't know." (Donald Rumsfeld) </div></div>

In the middle of that one now. Really good read. You find out a whole lot about what goes on in government that you never know and how the "news" totally have no clue on half of what they are reporting.