• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Suggestions for AR 15 optics

dlcarp

Private
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2004
Southern Indiana
I have a RRA Tactical Entry AR that has a 16" barrel. I've been looking at different optics and reading most of the post.
I plan on shooting this rifle no further than midrange.
So what optic would be the best?

Thanks
Dale

Re: Suggestions for AR 15 optics

If you would like something for SPEED the AIMPOINT, EoTech, and for the price the Vortex RED dot sights. If you are looking for an Optic then a 1-4x to a 10x would be the way to go.

For 1 to 4x scopes:
Nightforce 1-4x
MeOpta K-Dot
Vortex 1-4x HD or PST
Trijicon 1-4x
IOR 1.1-4x
Leupold 1.5-5x is not a 1x but it will do the job

There are a lot of good 10x out there also.

Mike @ CST

Don't try for a jack of all trades. Decide what magnification range you will prefer for the distances you will be shooting then go from there.....

USO 1.8-10 is a great setu, and for a carbine I really sike the SN4S.

Go for the Falcon 1.5-5 group buy so I can get my scope!
smile.gif

It depends on how you define mid-range. I've got an Aimpoint for 200 yards or less, and an TA01NSN ACOG for the whatever else I'm doing.

I have the same rifle and I put a Burris XTR-14 1X-4X-24mm on mine. Most people here don't like a BDC reticle, but I think it works fine.

S&B 1.1-4x Short Dot or if you can wait a month the S&B 1-8x would be an excellent choice as well.

Hell, some people think that anything beyond 100yds is "long" range! Who knows what "midrange" means?!?!
wink.gif

sobrbiker gave you some good advice...don't try for one, jack-of-all-trades setup with your AR. It is better to have one rifle (or upper) setup for an ideal shooting situation that best meets your needs in that situation than it is to compromise and have one rifle setup to do many things...none of which is the rifle equipped to do really well.

That said, 99% of the shooters I see do well with an AR equipped with a traditional optic with a variable power range of 1-4x. That gives you close range shooting ability in addition to the ability to extend out to longer distances (depending on your skill set, ammo, etc.). If you have the budget, the Nightforce 1-4x24 is an excellent scope in that range with all the features you could ever want in a scope that will last a lifetime and work when you need it to work. Same with the S&B Short Dot scopes. If you need a more budget-minded scope, you might look at the Burris XTR 1-4x24 or the new Nikon M-223 1-4x20.

It really all comes down to you and what you might prefer. The best advice I can give you is to try out different optics. If you have somewhere like a Cabelas or similar retail store close by, or you have any shooting buddies with rifles equipped with options you are considering, take a look at them and see what you like best.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info guys. You've gave me several options to look at.
I was sort of looking at a ACOG TA01NSN but read some post saying that it has a short eye relief.

Dale

Hey Thanks Dirknar!!!!
Thats what I was looking for. The acticle pretty much answered my questions that I had concerning a ACOG.
Thanks Again
Dale

The TAO1nsn has 1.5" of eye relief and is somewhat difficult to get used too. The 3X TA33R has a more generous eye relief and is easier to use.