• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Suggestions for high quality 34mm Rings

Mr. Humble, what oh what are you going to do about the fact that all the current scope tubes are made from aluminum? Dissimilar materials, oh my! Temperature differences...look out!

See, here's your problem: You are not wrong in that they are dissimilar materials. Where you go astray is your insistence that in this application is makes any difference at all. And yes, application IS everything.

I'm no Einstein, just an engineer working in the OEM automotive supply side, supplying machined aluminum and steel parts for HVAC systems, where they (horrors!) often mix aluminum and steel in connections with large temperature differentials. Do you want to know what the concern of these engineers is? Oxidation due to dissimilar metals. That's the real issue and one that is easily solved by coating each metal to disrupt the movement of electrons between them. Anodizing for the aluminum and plating or painting for the steels.

You know...sometimes is is appropriate and...humble, to say you may have over-extended yourself and move on to better pastures.

Okay the real deal....

#1 = In the northern hemisphere you want aluminum rings and steel base to counter the Coriolis effect...
#2 = In the southern hemisphere you want steel rings and aluminum base to counter the Coriolis effect (opposite direction as we all know those toilets down under flush the wrong way....
#3 = On the equator you want steel/steel or aluminum/aluminum if shooting east or west...no Coriolis effect....
#4 = On the equator you want #1 if shooting north...
#5 = On the equator you want #2 if shooting south...

that is all..........

Talley is working on adding 34mm one piece lightweight rings to there line up. Sounds like they might be available later this year. FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Vortex precision matched rings are manufactured by Seekins and are another great option. Other vortex branded rings are made by companies other than Seekins, but the precision matched rings in 30, 34, and 35mm are manufactured by Seekins.

I just mounted my new Burris XTRII with the Burris XTR steel 34mm rings. I went with the 6 screw top half versions. Very sturdy indeed.

Whats puzzling is that the Burris XTR 30mm rings are aluminum??? I wonder what made Burris switch to steel for their 34s?

For what its worth, I am using a steel base with my steel rings, on my steel receiver! ;)

I just got an Alamo Four Start DLOC 34mm mount, and its pretty stinking nice. I have a few very minor changes that I would make to the mount, but that's just the engineer side of me, the function side of me says A+.

I have also heard that the Sphur mounts are very nice, but they come at a hefty price.

I have no scientific background to back any claims up, but was I have to agree with Humble due to being told numerous times at Swiftwater Rescue schools and again at Mountain Warfare Training Center not to mix aluminum carabiners with steel carabiners due to the different metals. The steel (being harder) would chew up the aluminum (being softer) and compromise the strength of the 'biner and lead to a possibly deadly accident. Not really sure if that applies to the obvious non body weight bearing rings and bases, but it's something that's always kinda stuck with me.

But aluminum ring related, I went from a Leupold with 30mm Badger rings and went to a Bushnell with a 34mm tube. After taking some recommendations I went with some Seekins rings and for over a year they worked great....until recently. I pulled my rifle out of the Storm case and found my front ring had cracked at the screws. At first I though it was my fault and maybe I over torqued them, but I checked all the other screws on both rings and they were all barely finger tight. I got with Seekins and they say they'll send a new set, but I think I'll go back to Badgers, to prevent this from happening again. May have some new Seekins up for sale soon.
image.jpg

VYD I have a Murphy Precision picatinny rail base that I had made for my Rem action 338 lapua mag 60 moa it is top notch but I have not used their rings. I think if you start to look there is not much available in 34mm steel most of the MFRS are using aluminum sorry not a lot of help here.

I have used a whole different bunch of scope rings -> Badger, PRI, Murphy Precision Titanium, Near Manufacturing, Spuhr, Aad

Of these, my favorites are Murphy Precision, Near, and Spuhr.

So I assume SPUHR is aluminum? Cannot find any specs.

Thank you all.

Last edited:
i have a talley 20 moa 700 sa base. it seems good to me. i use warne low permanent attach 34mm rings. also seem to be a fine pair of rings. but i have them on a seekings aluminum base so i do left handed swedish circles to get rid of the bad juju before i shoot. i also have a steel base with aluminum rings but i circle to the right to fix that one. if you are worried about aluminum to steel expansion rates i hope you do not have an aluminum chassis or bedding block or v block bolted to your steel action. your rudimentary understanding of expanding metals does not make it a scientific assertion that a steel base and aluminum rings will cause a problem. the difference in clamping force between -30 and 120 would be hardly measurable

I must disagree with this entire statement. Clamping force is clamping force regardless of what the two materials are. If the rail is so soft that it crushes when you torque rings on it you might want to get a more quality rail.

I didn't even read the whole thread so someone probably already said it , but, dissimilar metals expand and contract at different rates. Anyone referring to clamp load it clamp force should know that. That is the problem with steel on al. Aluminum rings on steel bases don't seem to be a big deal, but you can have major problems going steel on al.

Last edited:
I didn't even read the whole thread so someone probably already said it , but, dissimilar metals expand and contract at different rates. Anyone referring to clamp load it clamp force should know that. That is the problem with steel on al. Aluminum rings on steel bases don't seem to be a big deal, but you can have major problems going steel on al.

So I guess you must use a steel scope with steel rings? And since all steel is not created equal, should the steel that the base is made from be the same as the receiver? I guess I have been doing it wrong all along.

I must disagree with this entire statement. Clamping force is clamping force regardless of what the two materials are. If the rail is so soft that it crushes when you torque rings on it you might want to get a more quality rail.

So I guess you must use a steel scope with steel rings? And since all steel is not created equal, should the steel that the base is made from be the same as the receiver? I guess I have been doing it wrong all along.

Haha, whatever dude. Just offering experience, do what you will.

I've been following this thread all day....I finally get home and the one time I want some damn popcorn, we're all out. ;)

Ah, but did you zap the popcorn in a ceramic bowl in an aluminum microwave - because those are dissimilar materials and you should not be mixing materials... Or, heaven forbid, a paper bag in a metal microwave?!...the horrors.

Did not read all comments, but my vote is for Nightforce on Nightforce. I'm running the NF 20MOA base with the NF ultralight 6 screw rings. I prefer the 6 screw just for added peace of mind. Caveat is you lose a small amount of scope adjustment. I ended up having just enough to get proper eye relief, so your mileage may vary.

Attachments

• IMAG0558.jpg
    IMAG0558.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13
Last edited: