• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suggestions for suppressor cleaning?

Stratmeister

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2008
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Just got my Trident9 and shot it on my P226, awesomely quiet with my 3.8 gr loads of Bullseye (147 gr FMJs).

The very minimal 'booklet' that came with it said to clean it with WD-40. Is that what you guys use?

What cleaning process and solvents do you guys use on your suppressors? I know not to use ammonia-based stuff...
Thanks,
Strats

Re: Suggestions for suppressor cleaning?

I'd stick with manufacturer recommendations. They also say you can use Kroil as well. I havn't cleaned mine yet. The only part I clean is the LCD. Started having issues when I didn't clean it.

before-after-jar.jpg

http://www.slip2000.com/choketube.html#

FYI
The product is no longer white.
They changed the color to green per USMC request.

<span style="font-weight: bold">"Warning
Gas Piston parts / Choke Tube Cleaner removes all oil protection from the metal. "</span> Lube it if required!

So lets talk about this a bit.

Almost every centerfire suppressor design, wet or dry will provide a high level of suppression filthy dirty. This is especially true with wet designed cans. Clean can actually work against your suppression interests. A dirty can is a quiet can. There are limits to this that we will talk about later.

Having said that, there are some primary stages that only work best when clean, much cleaner than any requirement that the can's internals will have. If your suppressor has an oscillating Neilson device, with its springs, mating slip surfaces (hopefully multi and broad) well those devices work best clean and <span style="font-weight: bold">LUBED</span>. In fact, one could make an argument that a "clean Fanatic" would be well within their rights to clean those components after every use as the wear on contact surfaces are exacerbated by blow back. Neilson, clean it. Clean it with whatever you want as long as when you are done...<span style="font-weight: bold">you lube it</span> and....here it comes....thread it back in carefully! Great damage is done to many fine cans by folks wrecking their Neilson threads/Can threads upon reassembling Neilson components that are under spring pressure.

Static mounts require no cleaning more than keeping their barrel interface threads clean.

Now, cleaning the can. Centerfire cans with solid designs shouldn't require cleaning for thousands and thousands of rounds. If you use quality ammo and quality plated bullets, many thousands of rounds. FA? Different issue, but still thousands of rounds. When it comes times to clean a can, the metallurgy, construction methods (welds,threads), finishes, etc. all come into play. There is more than one excellent thread here on cleaning cans. Whereas one should always follow the original manufacturers recommendations...well, I would like to know how WD40 comes up on anybody's list of the right solution for this job. What one wants is a product that can clean that which is found in entrapment cavities. WD40? Ah, no. What one does NOT want are residues from the cleaning agent that are of themselves tacky. WD40? What one want's is an excellent high temp lubricant with good flush in the Neilson. WD40?

Have a clean fetish? Fight it! The best rule of thumb is to only clean the can when you hear a constant and marked suppression deterioration.

Thunder, this is kind of why I posted this question, WD-40 as a cleaner or lube kind of rubs me the wrong way. But it's what SWR recommends in the 2-page manual. And it says NOTHING about lubing the LCD which I didn't get because there has to be significant metal-to-metal contact during the cycle.

I'm actually not to concerned about cleaning the can as much as the LCD with it's moving parts as you mention. For the spring and lugs are you suggesting grease, gun oil, ?

A perfect question for the maker. Just call them up and ask what they recommend for a Neilson interface lubricant. If they come back with WD40 I would be surprised.

As for myself, on a different make, I disassemble the Neilson, wipe it clean with a cloth and whatever mild cleaner I have on hand. Usually no cleaner is required. Then I use either Tri-Flo or Breakfree and lube it super lite with white lithium from the can "injector syring." Reassembled and installed, I then inject the can baffles with approx. 10cc of lithium from the Neilson end with a full rotational twist as I extract the injector. At 10cc load, in a 6 baffle, say 9mm/.45 set, you are good for 8-12 rounds, all without spit. Remember, your springs are not a lifetime item, they will eventually wear and need to be replaced. By then you will notice the slap snap.

I only clean a can if it was shot wet. I mix ATF and Mineral Spirits 50/50 and soak & shake. The Neilson Device, LID,... (or whatever you want to call it) does require regulat attention. It is spring loaded and needs to be able to slide back & forth easily. Take it apart and scrub it with any moderate solvent like RT51 said. Hoppes #9 is OK. I lube it up with Mobil 1 synthetic grease, don't be afraid to put a nice finger full on/in there.

I used Chem-Dri; but it's pretty toxic (do it outdoors) and needs haz-mat disposal.

I've thought about using Hydro Seal, which is used to clean carburetors, etc. I've used it for cleaning all sorts of parts, it certainly doesn't harm steel or aluminum (I left a dirt bike aluminum fork in the Hydro Seal bucket for a year with no damage) but it does completely dissolve copper and brass parts if they're left in the solution for weeks or months. I honestly don't know what it does to lead.

I have a sealed .45 can (many of them are) but I'm pretty sure the can has been painted with DuraCoat or something similar. Hydro Seal will remove paint.

The manufacturer says to clean and lubricate the piston with oil and apply antiseize to the threads. They also said cleaning the can with solvent is fine but made no recommendation.

I'm thinking about putting a rubber stopper in one end and filling the can with Hydro Seal and letting it sit over night.

I'm sorry I don't buy the dirty can is a quiet can argument, I know people who have had to return cans for rebuild because they became so clogged and loud they were functionally little more than flash suppressors.