• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggestions in digital calipers

clrems77

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Orange County Ca
My old Hornady calipers are just about dead so I’ll need a new set ASAP. Been looking at Mitutoyo and Starett around the $120ish price range. Can anyone recommend something decently priced that they’re happy with?

My old Hornady calipers are just about dead so I’ll need a new set ASAP. Been looking at Mitutoyo and Starett around the $120ish price range. Can anyone recommend something decently priced that they’re happy with?
Use this one every day for two years ... totally reliable and well made. Great price too.

I'd bite the bullet and get the Mitutoyo's. Not cheap but worth it imo.

Reactions: 1moaoff
I second the Mitutoyo recommendation. The $50-ish difference is a drop in the bucket compared to what we spend on reloading supplies and shooting gear. Since the caliper is one of the primary devices that will allow you to ensure consistent dimensions, I'd still suggest it at double the price.

Having said that, my second pair is from Harbor Freight and has done just fine, even though they feel cheap and rough. But it's hit or miss whether you get a "good pair" or a lemon.

I had a set from Amazon, igaging calipers and I didn’t like them at all, would work good for situations that you don’t have anything on your hands but I sold those and went on eBay and bought several used but like new sets of mitutoyos! $200-$300 sets for less than $120. Mitutoyos all the way!

Last edited:
I've been running my Starrett 799A-6 set for over a decade with only a few battery swaps... Excellent calipers! I highly recommend. 👍🏼

Mitutoyo is also a great brand.
I am with this guy^^^^ here, for the simple reason that the fourth number behind the . is small. Not everyone is like me but having the 4th show up big has bitten me more than once if I am in a hurry. The 4th place number on a caliper is questionable whether it is usable or not.
That said, overall, I do think the similar priced Mitutoyo may be a better product.

Last edited:
Mitutoyo, Starrett, Brown & Sharpe (Tesa). With Starrett I have found the foreign made ones are junk. Been using the Brown & Sharp for several years and very high quality.

Mitutoyo is my go to, I have a few different sets (work and at home) and it's what the guys in our machine shop swear by. If you want to do some serious data collection though, Brown & Sharpe has some fairly budget friendly bluetooth ones that can input data to excel automatically.

My 30year old digital Mitutoyo calipers still work great, I have also a new model Mitutoyo caliper that I also
use. They are accurate and really inexpensive for what you get.

Reactions: 1moaoff

I bought the "solar powered", because all the crappy chinese batteries I could find for the Mitutoyo give up too quickly.

I bought the "solar powered", because all the crappy chinese batteries I could find for the Mitutoyo give up too quickly.
Does this solar model gather enough from ambient light inside to charge?

Yes, I have LED and fluorescent in my shop, it works fine under either, but is slower to respond to configuration changes. (button pushing)
Outdoors, button response is immediate

Reactions: clrems77
I have the Mitutoyo 6" and 4"' after a few sets from varying manufacturers on Amazon. Completely worth the money.

I can't measure headspace on the 4" unfortunately (300 PRC) but man I do love how maneuverable the 4" is at the bench for everything else.

I prefer dial calipers vs digital that’s what I started with and I’m just used to but all my calipers are mitutoyo from 6”-12” but you can’t go wrong with either in that brand