• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggestions on higher-end AR-10 platforms

kritos666

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2012
OR
Im looking at 3 rifles:

Larue OBR 20"

POF 308 20"

GAP-10 20-22" + Noveske switchblock upgrade.

I intend to shoot these at 800-1000 yrds. I will tune and hand-load for these rifles. I will be running them supressed most of the time, as such adjustable gas block is key. Weight isn't an issue for me. Accuracy is my biggest concern. I'm hoping to keep 3/4 MOA out to those distances, perhaps better if I'm lucky.

It seems they all have pluses and minuses. POF is piston, Larue seems to be used by a vast number of military sniper teams (according to an article in the 1st issue of Sniper magazine) GAP's accuracy is very well known.

Any suggestions? If I left something out you have questions about let me know.

Thanks

Re: Suggestions on higher-end AR-10 platforms

I have never shot any of the rifles you just mentioned but i like the larue OBR. Seems pretty cool to me. But at the level your talking about im sure all will do good
smile.gif

Heath

If accuracy is your main concern this is how I would put them in order.

1. GAP10
2. OBR
3. POF

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bribri</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If accuracy is your main concern this is how I would put them in order.

1. GAP10
2. OBR
3. POF </div></div>

Question.. have you shot any or all of them? (just curious if you have experience) I was going to order a Noveske barrel and put it in an Armalite. I think to make a serious shooter, I don't have the "smith skills"; thus the change to letting the pros do the job.

I'm liking Larue's PredatOBR. Never shot any of the above, but pretty sure they will out shoot most shooters out there.

I have a Noveske N6 upper that's great. So far never had an issue with it and it out shoots me by far.

GAP-10!
I have one in the 18" flavor and it shoots really well, nice recoil pulse, great accuracy.
I have played around with an OBR, once. They shoot good too, nice fit and finish (I also own a 5.56 version of the OBR and it shoots great)
No experience with the POF but the GAP-10 uses their upper, lower and hanguard. The GAP-10 is not a piston gun.
I don't think you can go wrong with any one of those platforms.

Id take a good hard look at the LMT MWS as well, I have spent a good amount of time on a friends MWS and it was extremely impressive. Just another option to con sider.

I've had time behind an Lmt mws, REPR and now an OBR.... My OBR is not going anywhere (and I've been known to have extreme cases of gun ADD).

I personally have shot .5" groups out to 200 meters in the prone with nothing more then Harris bipods and a homemade sand sock (size 11 OD GI sock with craft beads).... The 20 moa rail is a nice addition and the gas block is said to work great ( my suppressor is currently on order).

I'm not a Larue fan boy but I'll give credit where credit is due... And Mr. Larue hit the mark with this semi.

My 2 cents....

Here's some load data for if you so choose to go with the OBR:
Varget:43.5 gr
175 smk
CCI 200 primer
Lupua brass
COL:2.810"
2615 fps
ES:30 fps

CFE223:45.5 gr
175 SMK
CCI 200
Lupua brass
2670 fps
ES:16 fps (data taken through 5 strings)

CFE223 is great powder

All my friends from the teams that passed sniper school swear up and down by GAP. They are also rather critical of the OBR on account of its price.

Personally, I picked the POF for the close to GAP accuracy and the piston system reliability. I regularly go through 1500+ rounds between cleaning my rifle, and I've still not done more than a basic field strip and clean yet she's running beautifully.

For what you're asking, get the GAP.

Go for the Gap of POF. I have seen the noveske switch block on a suppressed AR and it still showed signs of carrier tilt. I was really surprised when I looked into the receiver and seen the wear marks from the BCG. If you plan on shooting suppressed all the time go with the piston config.

Love my 18" OBR, wouldn't trade it for anything on the market.

My next precision semi will almost certainly be a GAP, just because I've heard such good things and want to try a different caliber. If you could be interested in something other than .308 then I'd take a serious look at some of the offerings from GAP...260 or 6mm CM seems pretty sexy to 1000!

My vote is for the POF. It's an awesome piece of hardware.

La Rue 18" 7.62 OBR on order, expect to be another 12 weeks for delivery. Waiting's a hard thing to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HAVOC615</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go for the Gap of POF. I have seen the noveske switch block on a suppressed AR and it still showed signs of carrier tilt. I was really surprised when I looked into the receiver and seen the wear marks from the BCG. If you plan on shooting suppressed all the time go with the piston config. </div></div>

Do you even know what carrier tilt is? It is an issue on gas piston rifles, not direct impingement which a switchblock rifle would be. There is no reason to go gas piston just because you will be suppressed all the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had time behind an Lmt mws, REPR and now an OBR.... My OBR is not going anywhere (and I've been known to have extreme cases of gun ADD).

I personally have shot .5" groups out to 200 meters in the prone with nothing more then Harris bipods and a homemade sand sock (size 11 OD GI sock with craft beads).... The 20 moa rail is a nice addition and the gas block is said to work great ( my suppressor is currently on order).

I'm not a Larue fan boy but I'll give credit where credit is due... And Mr. Larue hit the mark with this semi.

My 2 cents....

175 smk
CCI 200 primer
Lupua brass
2615 fps

175 SMK
CCI 200
Lupua brass
2670 fps

CFE223 is great powder
</div></div>

Kick butt ... thanks for saving me a bit in the load workup time
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vinson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HAVOC615</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go for the Gap of POF. I have seen the noveske switch block on a suppressed AR and it still showed signs of carrier tilt. I was really surprised when I looked into the receiver and seen the wear marks from the BCG. If you plan on shooting suppressed all the time go with the piston config. </div></div>

Do you even know what carrier tilt is? It is an issue on gas piston rifles, not direct impingement which a switchblock rifle would be. There is no reason to go gas piston just because you will be suppressed all the time. </div></div>

Please fill me in.. I don't know much about running a black rifle (DI or piston) with a supressor. My supressor is on order; hopefully by the end of summer I will see the thing. I'm always open to an education. I assume I will have a bit of trial and error with load tuning anyways.

Thanks

I'd vote for the GAP for your purposes. I love my POF, but if I were doing it again and wanted accuracy as my number one priority I'd buy a GAP-10. My POF is no slouch, and always shoots 1 MOA or better(I am the limiting factor) but I can't imagine GAP's work not surpassing it. I have no experience with Larue.

I bought the POF more as a run and gun larger caliber alternative to an AR-15 that could double as a precision rifle/hunter. I was planning to run a can on it from the start and wanted an adjustable piston system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kritos666</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had time behind an Lmt mws, REPR and now an OBR.... My OBR is not going anywhere (and I've been known to have extreme cases of gun ADD).

My 2 cents....

175 smk
CCI 200 primer
Lupua brass
2615 fps

175 SMK
CCI 200
Lupua brass
2670 fps

CFE223 is great powder
</div></div>

Kick butt ... thanks for saving me a bit in the load workup time
smile.gif
</div></div>

Way to go low tech on the sock ! Thats oddly enough, similar to what I run in my bolt gun. 2615 FPS, Nosler 175 Custom competion, CCI 200 primers, Varget 44.7

Another advocate of the LMT MWS as I love mine!

I have a GAP-AR10 in the safe and a OBR and the OBR wins my vote out of those 2.

I'm also in the market and have been looking at the JP LRP-07. It appears to be very high quality but is rarely mentioned in these discussions. I'd be interested to know why it doesn't have much of a following.

It's not that JP is abad product, but JP's following is primarily in the 3gun community. And 3 gun isn't the primary audience on this forum.

Go with the GAP. I have a GAP Hospitalier in.308. I shoot it suppressed. It is the finast rifle I have ever owned!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kritos666</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Please fill me in.. I don't know much about running a black rifle (DI or piston) with a supressor. My supressor is on order; hopefully by the end of summer I will see the thing. I'm always open to an education. I assume I will have a bit of trial and error with load tuning anyways.

Thanks </div></div>

In a direct gas impingement gun the bolt and carrier are exposed to forces from the expanding gas direction in line with their centers of gravity. Carrier tilt refers to the rearward tilt of a carrier when it is hit by a gas piston op rod. This off center impact can make the carrier come into contact with the lower part of the buffer tube, right around the buffer retention pin. It may also cause uneven pressure on the bolt locking lugs. Here's an example:

carriertilt1.jpg

Running a suppressor on either system will result in more back pressure and potentially a faster cyclic rate and carrier speed. That can result in timing issues, increased felt recoil, and expulsion of gases in your face. However, I run two SBR's, one with switchblock and one without and don't have any issues with either setup suppressed or not. It really depends on a lot of factors of course including gas port size, type of ammo, length of barrel and gas tube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vinson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kritos666</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thanks </div></div>

In a direct gas impingement gun the bolt and carrier are exposed to forces from the expanding gas direction in line with their centers of gravity. Carrier tilt refers to the rearward tilt of a carrier when it is hit by a gas piston op rod. This off center impact can make the carrier come into contact with the lower part of the buffer tube, right around the buffer retention pin. It may also cause uneven pressure on the bolt locking lugs. Here's an example:

carriertilt1.jpg

Running a suppressor on either system will result in more back pressure and potentially a faster cyclic rate and carrier speed. That can result in timing issues, increased felt recoil, and expulsion of gases in your face. However, I run two SBR's, one with switchblock and one without and don't have any issues with either setup suppressed or not. It really depends on a lot of factors of course including gas port size, type of ammo, length of barrel and gas tube. </div></div>

Thank you,
I really appreciate the info. The picture was a nice bonus as well. For better or worse, the more I learn, I swear I see an armorer's class in my future.

Larue all the way! I saw the light this weekend! could not believe the acuracy out of this rifle

Out of those three I would go with GAP. The OBR and POF are good rifles but for the price and with accuracy being your main goal there is no real substitute for a custom made rig especially when it is being made by a group like the guys at GAP. I've owned a POF, shot the other two as well as several AR-308's. The OBR is a great rifle but overpriced IMHO for a off the shelf rifle (regardless of how nice a rifle they are, it is still produced for the masses). The MWS and REPR are good battle rifles but their focus is not on accuracy and from my experience as well as reviews from others this is obvious. Really though all the higher end AR-308 rifles are fun to shoot and will most likely out shoot most people. One that is not on your list that you might consider (albeit they might be considered overpriced just like the OBR but. . .) would be JP's large frame rifles. The accuracy from these are impressive and are as close to a high end custom as you can get from a manufacturer.

Ive shot all those and still go back to my SR25 EMC. I shoot it almost always suppressed and now that TX allows for hunting game animals suppressed it will also be used for that. I wasn't to impressed with the OBR with surefire can but it was a 16" obr with carbine lenght gas system. Just my 2 cents!!

I have a JP LRP-07 on order and I have done extensive research as to which are the best. Not in any order 1) JP lrp-07 2) Larue Tactical OBR 3) GAP-10 4) LMT MWS 5) POF 6) LWRC any of these will be of quality and good accuracy-great accuracy. But most important is they are all reliable which is number one on my list.

Sorry knights Armament too, but way to expensive in my book.

I think for me the best option will be to call the folks at GAP and wait my 14 weeks. Who knows maybe ill get my suppressor and the GAP in the same time frame.

Thanks all for the replies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vinson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HAVOC615</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go for the Gap of POF. I have seen the noveske switch block on a suppressed AR and it still showed signs of carrier tilt. I was really surprised when I looked into the receiver and seen the wear marks from the BCG. If you plan on shooting suppressed all the time go with the piston config. </div></div>

Do you even know what carrier tilt is? It is an issue on gas piston rifles, not direct impingement which a switchblock rifle would be. There is no reason to go gas piston just because you will be suppressed all the time.</div></div>

+1 LOL. I guess I better get rid of my POS DI Noveske with the switchblock because of the carrier tilt. That's why I get ALL of my firearms information from the internet.

Shooting my REPR is definitely a blast. I personally have run this against the MWS and OBRs and have to say I love my REPR.. Main reason.. A Suppressor!
I give up a quarter MOA to my buds with the MWS and OBR but the difference in being able to go gas off or into " supressed " mode makes a world of difference. You really can tell the difference in the back last to the face after 40 -50 rounds... To each thier own.. If you are gonna bench rest a semi go OBR or GAP... If you are gonna shoot prone suppressed of the side of a hill at steel targets then the REPR will be more fun.... I am putting 10 into a 10" plate at 500 yd all day long and I can tell you I am not the best shooter in the crew my 2 cents FWIW

I have a GAP10 in 20 inch and consistently shoot under 1/2 inch at 100. This is with both federal 168 and 175 SMKs. I am very happy with the platform. They definitely know what they are doing. You can't go wrong with the GAP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bth87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id take a good hard look at the LMT MWS as well, I have spent a good amount of time on a friends MWS and it was extremely impressive. Just another option to con sider.
</div></div>

I agree, I have shot the POF and a friends GAP, all are very great rifles....after doing a lot of research, I settled on the MWS. The LMT should be included on your list to select from. I am not a good shot and with my rifle on an Atlas bipod I can get 3/4"-7/8" at 100 yds with BH 168 BTHP.

Will post some pictures later today of my MWS/USOptics set up.

Hello folks,

Things have changed a bit that make for a quandary. If money was no issue, id get the GAP10. However, I have a way to get an FFL price on a POF-308. As such its 800.00 cheaper than the GAP. Do you guys think that the GAP rifle will be worth the difference? Thanks for any input.

I have a GAP 20" upper, and a couple POF 16" rifles. So far, the POF rifles out shoot the GAP. All are reliable, but if I had to sell one, it wouldn't be the POF's.

In all fairness, I purchased the GAP used, and needed to tighten the top rail. There seems to be a sweet spot for the tension on the 2 set screws up front, and I am still trying to find it. If I can't get the accuracy where I want it, then I will send it in. George himself gave me pointers for setting the tension, and there is no doubt that they will take care of me.

The POF's print great groups at 300 yards (the limit of my range) with 2+ inches being a "bad" group, 1.5" a good group, and 1" groups of five shots on a great day.

Edited to add:
I got the GAP tuned, and it is doing great as of today! several groups in the 1.5" - 2" category at 300 yards, so now I am the "weak link" again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kritos666</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello folks,

Things have changed a bit that make for a quandary. If money was no issue, id get the GAP10. However, I have a way to get an FFL price on a POF-308. As such its 800.00 cheaper than the GAP. Do you guys think that the GAP rifle will be worth the difference? Thanks for any input. </div></div>

Lowlight was able to achieve .375 moa with the GAP and with the POF he achieved just under .500 moa. What you must ask yourself is this: does the extra $800 for the GAP justify a small fraction of an inch in accuracy over the P308 for you?

You're going to hear guys say gas piston is better and others say gas impingement is better so it's all going to boil down to what YOU want. The extra $800 saved would make a good start toward a nice optic.

Best of luck with your decision. I have no doubt you'll be happier than a pig in shit no matter which platform you choose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kritos666</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello folks,

Things have changed a bit that make for a quandary. If money was no issue, id get the GAP10. However, I have a way to get an FFL price on a POF-308. As such its 800.00 cheaper than the GAP. Do you guys think that the GAP rifle will be worth the difference? Thanks for any input. </div></div>

Lowlight was able to achieve .375 moa with the GAP and with the POF he achieved just under .500 moa. What you must ask yourself is this: does the extra $800 for the GAP justify a small fraction of an inch in accuracy over the P308 for you?

You're going to hear guys say gas piston is better and others say gas impingement is better so it's all going to boil down to what YOU want. The extra $800 saved would make a good start toward a nice optic.

Best of luck with your decision. I have no doubt you'll be happier than a pig in shit no matter which platform you choose. </div></div>

haha, thanks for the specifics and candor. I appreciate both from you. I suspect with either I will be " happier than a pig in shit" .. but yes $800 for 1/8 MOA is a bit steep. ... AND your right, I can add that $ to a new optic

I don't think anybody can honestly say "because so and so shot X MOA with X, its more accurate because he only shot Y with MOA with Y".

No two guns, even of the same unit, are exactly alike and will shoot the same with the same load. Some samples are more accurate than others.

One is best to choose the features most important to the individual, then choose a company that has the best customer service, reputation, and price.

Its not that you're paying $800 for 1/8 MOA better. That's one of the most retarded assumptions I've ever heard.

If you get the Noveske Switchblock upgrade on a GAP they will ask you to send them your suppressor so they can tune the switchblock specifically for your setup. You only have to send in the suppressor for about two weeks (but that will also tell you your gun is almost ready).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think anybody can honestly say "because so and so shot X MOA with X, its more accurate because he only shot Y with MOA with Y".

No two guns, even of the same unit, are exactly alike and will shoot the same with the same load. Some samples are more accurate than others.

One is best to choose the features most important to the individual, then choose a company that has the best customer service, reputation, and price.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Its not that you're paying $800 for 1/8 MOA better. That's one of the most retarded assumptions I've ever heard. </span> </div></div>

Okay, then how about you tell us all what is so "retarded" about it or what makes the GAP-10 $800 better than the POF, Larue, or whatever else he might be looking at.

I like the GAP rifles as much as the next guy and I would never dare disrespect George of G.A. Precision so no one should take my comments that way. Seriously though, what makes the GAP worth the extra $800 to you? Is it simply because it's a GAP rifle, or? All the rifles mentioned are made with premium components that are proven performers so realistically, it all comes down to what the end user wants because 9 times out of 10, any premium rifle will outshoot the loose nut behind the trigger.

The Knights Armament SR-25 is an excellent rifle with accuracy, customer service, and reputation to match but does that mean it's worth $5,000?

If you're going to make a comment like that then you need to back it up in the next sentence or keep your dicksucker shut.

For one, grow the hell up.

Secondly, as I said, but you apparently didn't read:

"I don't think anybody can honestly say "because so and so shot X MOA with X, its more accurate because he only shot Y with MOA with Y".

No two guns, even of the same unit, are exactly alike and will shoot the same with the same load. Some samples are more accurate than others. "

Its not an industry standard that somehow all GAPs shoot 3/8 MOA and ALL POFs shoot 1/2 MOA. There is no gospel that this is the limit of attainability of these two rifles---or that every example will do this well.

GAPs start cheaper than an OBR, by the way.

If you're too stupid to know why this or that costs what it does, then so be it. I'm not the guy that sets prices at POF, GAP, LaRue or anywhere. They charge a price point based on their individual business model. I'm not here to say anybody's rifle is better than anybody else'.

As I said before, you're fucking retarded if you believe that buying a GAP over a POF is paying $800 for 1/8 MOA difference. Buying a GAP, you're buying a custom built to your individual specs. Customs are different animals than off-the-shelf rifles. You're getting a different product and different service with GAP.

But I guess you can't close your "dicksucker" because Frank has it full because you believe the only difference between a GAP and POF is the size of the group Frank shot with them on one occasion is the words of Jesus himself and that is the only difference in the two guns. Good job.

For the record, I'll say whatever I want, when I want without the great "Killshot"'s permission.

tyler is a fucking retard- im sayin what i want too, kinda fun

You can say whatever you choose, when you choose...but it doesn't change the fact that you're a f*cking idiot and you have yet to answer my question as to what makes the GAP worth the extra $800 when any of the rifles mentioned will get the job done and then some.

I'll be waiting for your response, douche bag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you have yet to answer my question as to what makes the GAP worth the extra $800 when any of the rifles mentioned will get the job done and then some.

I'll be waiting for your response, douche bag. </div></div>

Wow, douchebag and retard?

Awesome, man! You're getting good!

Worth? Isn't that up to the individual to decide? Your reading comprehension is great, too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buying a GAP, you're buying a custom built to your individual specs. Customs are different animals than off-the-shelf rifles. You're getting a different product and different service with GAP.
</div></div>

lol and I'm a "fucking idiot" because I said that buying GAP isn't paying $800 for 1/8 MOA difference.