• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggestions on new hunting rifle

clrems77

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Orange County Ca
Looking to purchase a new Remington for hunting pigs, deer, elk ect. Thinking 30-06 but was hoping to hear what your experiences were. What model and caliber and why?

Thanks!

Can't go wrong with the 30-06. If you are going long action and like the 30-06 casing I would go .270 personally. Flatter shooting, less recoil, brass and ammo very widely avaliable, nosler accubond 50 bullets will last forever and are extremely accurate. That's my personal opinion and when I'm not long range hunting, or if I'm stalking I'm carting my trusty ol' rem 700 .270 with me.

EDIT: I was speaking of a .270 winchester. I just realized I didn't specify.

Last edited:
30-06 is probably going to be your best all around caliber. That's what I have used for several years. Just recently purchased a Remington XCR ii in 300 WM, just to try something different. Probably the worst gun I have ever owned. Since the very first shot brass was hard to eject and wouldn't group no matter how I shot it, or ammo used. I was lucky if it would shoot 3" groups. Its on its war back to Remington right now. At this point I wouldn't recommend this rifle to anyone. But we will see when it comes back, hopefully they can fix it.

Thanks for the input guys!

Coldbore: I've read up on many many articles, forums ect and spoke with many owners of different caliber rifles. It's the way I've decided to go with the 30-06. But before I pull the trigger (No pun intended) I thought I'd check with my fellow hide friends to make sure I'm making the best decision and not missing anything!

I'm a big fan of anything short action so I'll toss out the 7MM-08 as a good/great choice. Find a Remington SPS stainless in 7MM-08, shoot it as is or drop it in a McMillan Classic Edge and you have a really nice hunting rig. I did this last year with one of these, changed a few things and added a few others for some bling, its quickly become one of my favorite go to rifles.

I like the .280 Rem and it's served me well for quite a few deer, elk, antelope and several heads of South African plains game. I have used 150 gr Nosler partitions for most of them. Though did use 175's over in RSA.
Zero drama....bang...within a few seconds they are down. it's more about PLACEMENT than anything else.

I'd hazard a guess that given similar situations, a guy would be hard pressed to figure out if you shot your game with a .270, .280 or .30-06. Given similar bullet weights, and quality bullets.

At reasonable ranges the difference between a .260 rem, 7mm-08 or a .308 would probably be tough to tell as well.

I'd personally look more towards the .260/6.5cm/6.5x47, 7mm-08, or .308 size calibers if Elk is the biggest thing you're going to shoot.

I'm a huge 6.5mm fanboy, though. I have a .260 for hunting, next barrel will probably be a 6.5x47. 140gr or 160gr 6.5 bullets will kill just about anything dead outside of Africa.

I'd personally look more towards the .260/6.5cm/6.5x47, 7mm-08, or .308 size calibers if Elk is the biggest thing you're going to shoot.

I'm a huge 6.5mm fanboy, though. I have a .260 for hunting, next barrel will probably be a 6.5x47. 140gr or 160gr 6.5 bullets will kill just about anything dead outside of Africa.

160 grain? I thought 140 grain was the heaviest bullet made for the 6.5.

You can find 160gr round nose bullets for close killing. Not good distance bullets

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

You will get a ton of different opinions here with this question. My go-to deer/pig gun is a 18" .308 semi. My first ever rifle that took me 7 1/2 months of mowing lawns to get is a 700BDL in .30-06, and I still love it as much as the day I finally paid it off layaway.

That being said I'll just confirm that a .30-06 is a great cartridge selection for the game you listed. It will kill what you want well past the distance most shooters have the skill to do it at.