• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Summer Plans Foiled

EGwhisper

Blaster
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Fairs, pools, concerts. What plans did you have this summer that are cancelled?

Had a motorcycle trip planned to UP Michigan, ferrying over to Isle Royale backpacking. Ferries cancelled for 2020 to Isle Royale. 2 hours east at Mackinac Island - ferries opening up mid-June??? One of the most remote National Parks is a no-go but the biggest tourist trap in Michigan is GTG. OK to fly on a passenger airplane, but an open deck ferry is no go?

Taking two weeks on the annual fishing trip instead of one to make up for it.

What did you have planned that was cancelled?

Reactions: Bender and DustBun
Camping trips have been hard to plan. State parks operating at limited capacities still. Mountain bike races still have not started back up.

I was supposed to head to Tail of the Dragon and Gatlinburg area back in April, but the border was closed to non essential travel, so we rebooked for mid October. I prefer the temps and colours then anyway.
Second Friday of last November here.
730153FB-676E-45D0-B769-5A188211A3B5.jpeg
Oh and a wedding in Jasper got postponed a year as well.

Still hoping border opens, but pretty sure fly fishing in British Columbia is a slim chance now. Back up plans in Missoula though!

Reactions: DustBun
I was supposed to visit family around memorial day weekend for a hog roast/birthday party.

We had some events get canceled on us, which does suck, but I also wanted to do some summer scouting for hunting season deep in public land. Going to use that as an excuse for camping with the family also. My shift got shortened from a 14/7 to 14/14, so all that happened was gaining more time to do that, so I'm pretty happy.

We had some events get canceled on us, which does suck, but I also wanted to do some summer scouting for hunting season deep in public land. Going to use that as an excuse for camping with the family also. My shift got shortened from a 14/7 to 14/14, so all that happened was gaining more time to do that, so I'm pretty happy.

The cancelled events are frustrating, but it seems like those with the best attitude are going by the same thought process as you - the inability to do "X" creates the ability to do "Y".

Reactions: HMRamateur
I was supposed to be in Savannah right now with my son shooting the sctp state championship.

Had an archery hog hunt in Texas postponed on us back in March. Not due to travel restrictions, but a few of the people going were not going to be permitted to return to work for 2 weeks if they left their state. So it's pushed to September. If I get drawn for the elk hunt I'll be skipping the hog hunt all together.

We were going to go to Spa-Francorchamps and to Monza to catch the F1 races, and of course go shopping (UGGGHH). Cancelled the airline tickets in April assuming the worst. Luckily I had purchased refundable tickets.

Couple of shooting classes
Wedding in Mexico
Not sure about camping yet

Youre lucky on the Mexico thing. It has turned into a murder capital of the world, even places like Cancun and Acapulco. And any firearms are a complete nono, you go to prison if they even find a forgotten bullet in the back of your truck/\.

Too much to list... though still planning on doing Labrador Motorcycle Trip in Sept. Unless blackfaced frogboy has his country closed for no reason... into September.

Tempted to not go at all in order to deprive the place of even a few nights of hotel revenue. But maybe I'll just camp.

Goddamned Gerbils... and communists. Shutting the whole world down for nothing. You don't quarantine healthy people. That's called tyrrany.

Sirhr

All of wyoming is closed. In fact, has been canceled since 2008 to forever. don't come here.
All of wyoming is closed. In fact, has been canceled since 2008 to forever. don't come here. ever.
Sorry to hear that.
I guess we'll be the only ones at the Governors Cup multi gun match.

• Love
Reactions: Bender
Had orders for a 3 week TDY this summer to the 173rd in Vicenza, Italy to go support a TMC there during PCS season and get a chance to dork around. Those orders got pulled in March after Italy got hit and DOD decided all non-essential travel was suspended. *le sigh I was so hoping I could weasel onto a jump with the 173rd. I always wanted to be a Sky Soldier. Hell, even if they only let me do a Hollywood jump I would have been stoked. Sadly I am just a 5 jump chump and looks like it will remain that way. Stupid COVID out there ruining dreams.

My 17 yr old son and I were supposed to leave today for a 10 day African safari.....
Fuck, just fuck.
Switched everything to next June, but it still stings!!!!
Jordan
Ps- I am taking him to Cody,Wy for the Linebaugh seminar next week, so it's not a total loss, but still...

Youre lucky on the Mexico thing. It has turned into a murder capital of the world, even places like Cancun and Acapulco. And any firearms are a complete nono, you go to prison if they even find a forgotten bullet in the back of your truck/\.
We were going to Sayulita which is supposed to be nice.

I had no desire to go even though I really like my brother-in-law. He was getting married. I wanted no part of Mexico these days. I had the perfect excuse. Flying 5 people for a week with proper accommodations is not a trivial amount of cash.

Unfortunately, my mother in law stepped in and paid the tab.

COVID saved the day :)

Reactions: Maggot
We were going to Sayulita which is supposed to be nice.

I had no desire to go even though I really like my brother-in-law. He was getting married. I wanted no part of Mexico these days. I had the perfect excuse. Flying 5 people for a week with proper accommodations is not a trivial amount of cash.

Unfortunately, my mother in law stepped in and paid the tab.

COVID saved the day :)

Its a beautiful area. I spent a week just north of there in Puerto Vallarta and had a great time. That was in early 2008 before the Cartels took over. Now that whole area is a major landing point for Cocaine coming north from Columbia. Rife with murders. Covid saved the day.

Family trip to Utah in April was cancelled.

Camping trip this week cancelled by forced riot OT

Driving to Hilton Head in two weeks. Thats in free America so it should be a good time - first restaurant meals in 3 months.

Cape Cod in August if our gov opens shit up.

We were supposed to be in Maui this entire week with the extended family (In-laws) per Grandpa’s final wishes last summer, on his dime. He was a Great American, WWII vet, school teacher and school administrator. I knew him longer and better than both of my grandfathers combined, really glad my kids (his great grandkids) have memories of him. I’m glad he didn’t have to see what we are living right now but sure miss him. Also canceled a trip to South Dakota to see extended family.

Its a beautiful area. I spent a week just north of there in Puerto Vallarta and had a great time. That was in early 2008 before the Cartels took over. Now that whole area is a major landing point for Cocaine coming north from Columbia. Rife with murders. Covid saved the day.
I was in Puerto Vallarta in 1996. There were signs on the beach to stay out of the water which was full of raw sewage, armed soldiers on the streets and we all got food poisoning. Needless to say, we've never been back. My son and I did head north and found a good break at a small fishing village and got in some surfing, but that was the only bright spot.

I'm glad you had a better experience. I have no idea what it's like now, but I have no plans to visit Mexico again.

Reactions: pmclaine
2 weeks in Hawaii in April was cancelled. I have three trips to our family home on Cape Cod planned, not sure which if any I’ll be able to do. I rebooked Hawaii for late October.

Had a 2 week Florida trip booked. 1 week at Disney and 1 week over at Clearwater. Dont tell the wife, but I was smiling during the whole cancelation process!

• Haha
Reactions: pmclaine
1 week Royal Caribbean cruise cancelled. Replaced that week of vacation with a week off soon to paint my house (😑) and get my shooting range cleared (😁).