• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sun Optics USA

johngfoster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2007
NW MT
Has anyone had any experience with these scopes? I saw one in a store a few months ago, and it looked like a knock-off of a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40 M3. Even the writing on the turrets looked the same. It was around $125 or so.

Re: Sun Optics USA

Don't get me wrong: I realize they are not prime optics. Probably bottom tier. Just the price tells me that. I'm just wondering if anyone has got one for giggles just to see how they are, or had the opportunity to look through one with an "educated/refined" eye. The one I handled in the store looked like a Mark 4 knock-off. The glass didn't wow me, but I didn't have anything of quality to compare it to. And the best scope I've ever used is my real Mark 4.

Not expecting it to be even close. I may pick one up just for fun and see for myself. Just wondering if anyone else has done this or had ANY exposure to these scopes.

I sell Sun Optics scopes, and I have had a lot of exposure to their products and the owners of the company.

Specifically, I am a fan their spotting scopes, and Prismatic scopes. Their bipods are also good.

As for their Mark 4 look alike scopes (the CS25 models) this is what I can say:

-the glass is good from 4-14x (more than 14x starts to cloud quickly)
-the turrets are a little mushy, but audible
-construction is a one piece aluminum design and the tube is 30mm
-I have never measured how they track, so I cannot comment
-they reticle is thin enough to shoot clay birds a 500m and still see the target

Sun Optics stands behind their product 100%. Their customer service is great, and they are working hard to make a good value scope. They do not cater to the high end clients, but they focus on scopes for the general market. They owners know what it takes to make their product competitive, and if a problem is brought to their attention they address is promptly.

I like their glass in their binos, spotting scopes, and Prismatic scopes. Their CS25 scopes need a little work, but they are priced accordingly.

I'm reviving this old thread to see if there is any additional info. Natchez has a 4-14 I think, that looks like it has some desirable features. I'd like to consider one for a .22 trainer. Are they crap?

Man just spend the extra and get something proven. With deal they are running on the Nitrex you would be crazy not to jump on one of them.

Just my .02 worth

Cheers!

Rooter

I regret it but I bought one to go on a Browning X-Bolt based on the recommendation of the gun shop where I bought the rifle. When I went back to pick it up to take to the field for a shakedown I was very disappointed with the image clarity at all zoom levels. I didn't think this was right so I did some more digging. Now I know why I am throwing this scope in the trash. It's just another piece of cheap made in China crap. Shame on any gun shop for recommending this thing. I have switched to a Leupold VX-#i LRP and am very pleased. Yes it costs a lot more but guess what? You get what you pay for and the big plus is Leupold is made in the USA.

I regret it but I bought one to go on a Browning X-Bolt based on the recommendation of the gun shop where I bought the rifle. When I went back to pick it up to take to the field for a shakedown I was very disappointed with the image clarity at all zoom levels. I didn't think this was right so I did some more digging. Now I know why I am throwing this scope in the trash. It's just another piece of cheap made in China crap. Shame on any gun shop for recommending this thing. I have switched to a Leupold VX-#i LRP and am very pleased. Yes it costs a lot more but guess what? You get what you pay for and the big plus is Leupold is made in the USA.

Really?
A ten year old necro post resurrection?

As was pointed out in a different thread, 99 to go.

Yes, really.
Thought this information might be helpful to others who stumbled onto this thread first. Sorry it has so offended your sensibilities.

It would take a lot more than that to offend me.

You should try and understand that updating a ten year old post is a complete waste of time.

As a Newbie here it just appears to be you (along with hundreds of other shiny new members) trying to pad your post count.

Padding the post count is the cheapest/quickest way to access the PX.

If you doubt what I'm saying, stick around, grab some popcorn (Not Corn Pop) and watch the show.
Friday nights are great.

It would take a lot more than that to offend me.

You should try and understand that updating a ten year old post is a complete waste of time.

As a Newbie here it just appears to be you (along with hundreds of other shiny new members) trying to pad your post count.

Padding the post count is the cheapest/quickest way to access the PX.

If you doubt what I'm saying, stick around, grab some popcorn (Not Corn Pop) and watch the show.
Friday nights are great.
While I am a "Newbie" I can assure you that I have no interest or desire to pad a post count. In fact, other than my replies to your observations, I would most likely have not made any other posts on this forum unless another Sun Optics thread appeared, at which time I would have shared my opinion again.

I doubt you'll see another Sun Optics thread around these parts.
A new thread would be as valuable as a thread on something like a Simmons 8 Point 3-9×50. Utterly pointless and not relevant to this entire website.

I'm sorry you had issue with that scope.
Glad you moved on from it.

Lord knows I've bought some trash over the years, but I don't make a habit of resurrecting the dead to discuss those bad purchases. I just move forward.

As do I. As I originally said the only purpose of my post was to warn anyone off if they came across this thread before they purchased the scope. That's how I stumbled on it, i.e. after buying the scope I did some searches for reviews on Sun Optics ( yes I should have done that beforehand but I took the word of a dealer that I will never use again ).

Cheers

Yes, really.
Thought this information might be helpful to others who stumbled onto this thread first. Sorry it has so offended your sensibilities.
How in the hell would someone stumble onto a 10 year old, go no where thread. How the hell did you even find it.

• Haha
Reactions: Raven34
Hi,

The Sun Optics model that went bad on you; was it moa or mil?
I have been searching for someone with first hand experience on them, Thanks for posting your opinion on them JBM.
You any relation to the guys over at JBM Calculations?

Sincerely,
Theis

Has anyone had any experience with these scopes? I saw one in a store a few months ago, and it looked like a knock-off of a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40 M3. Even the writing on the turrets looked the same. It was around $125 or so.
Wasnt 125 dollars 10 years ago = to 2500 dollars today>?

Wasnt 125 dollars 10 years ago = to 2500 dollars today>?
No, not really.
A191112D-DE52-452A-BB84-8CBC6AA93909.jpeg

Reactions: squishee