• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Sunshade or Anti reflection device?

skandlus

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2009
AZ
Which is best for a vari-X III 6.5-20x50? For hunting... Or is there something better available?

Re: Sunshade or Anti reflection device?

Anti reflection is a combat item. Not a hunting item. It keeps the glass from reflecting light back towards the target.

Go sunshade.

Cool, thx... Looking at midwayusa & others, all I can find are for post 2004...

Shining a signal mirror at a deer won't get you shot, but it may spook them. ARDs do the same thing as a sunshade just by a different means, both keep light from hitting the objective lense at angles that will reflect or washout the image, if you don't want the physical demensions of the scope growing get an ARD.

In my experience ARD also interferes somewhat with the amount of light allowed through.
typically more light = better image quality.
I typically remove the ARD for range use.

On my Civvie long range rifle i have a sunshade.
YMMV

I usually run an ARD on something that I'm going to toss around more and maneuver with or a rifle that I'm worried about keeping as compact as possible.

I usually throw sunshades on my higher magnification stuff or something that is more of a range rifle than a "field" rifle.

Unfortunately I can't justify my reasoning for this, it just personal preference that seemed to make sense for me.

I'd go with a sunshade. An ARD is just that, a anti reflective device. Since I am not a sniper in the Army, I always took the ARD off as I found that I could see better thru the site with out it.

I prefer the ARD and leave it on at all times, including at night. I prefer the shorter length and wider range of sun angle I can shoot in without glare on the lens issues. I don't worry nor care about the reflection to something "down range".
There is also a bit of protection for the objective lens. I would say in the end it is a personal preference...

In my experience I use a sun shade because I shoot in the sun . I put a black hair net on it to keep reflections down because even though I use a sun shade I have scared off predators with my scope glinting in the sun. I know it makes me sound stupid but it works for me .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter.dm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my experience I use a sun shade because I shoot in the sun . I put a black hair net on it to keep reflections down because even though I use a sun shade I have scared off predators with my scope glinting in the sun. I know it makes me sound stupid but it works for me .</div></div>

I actually never thought of using a black hair net. Does that do anything to the image quality at all?

When I'm cruising through a prarie dog town in my 4 door chevy pickup, silver, I prefer both. A sunshade for myself, and a ARD so I don't scare the little shit's when I'm pointing my gun at them. Even though they would only see reflection if I was shooting uphill with the target somewhat between the sun's angle and myself. But one can only be so careful.