• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sunshade vs No Sunshade

Yeah that could be an issue but it's easy enough to take it off as it will be far more useful to leave it on and then take it off on the rare occasion you get a super tight hole to shoot through.

Reactions: Boltyboi
Yeah that could be an issue but it's easy enough to take it off as it will be far more useful to leave it on and then take it off on the rare occasion you get a super tight hole to shoot through.

Yeah, not to mention the best place not to lose something is having it mounted where it belongs.

I've also found them to be very helpful when shooting in the rain.

exactly, Ihave my sunshade on my hunting rifles, not for the sun, But when it rains...... and during hunting season it’s ether raining or blowing snow.

I like them, for all the reasons listed.

The volume occupied by the sunshade happens to be a 2 inches length of space @ the diameter of the scope objective, directly in front of the objective lens.

I rarely shoot while some match prop, barricade or other item is occupying that space anyway. It's harder to see the target.

I like them, for all the reasons listed.

The volume occupied by the sunshade happens to be a 2 inches length of space @ the diameter of the scope objective, directly in front of the objective lens.

I rarely shoot while some match prop, barricade or other item is occupying that space anyway. It's harder to see the target.
To be fair, not all sunshades are only 2” in length. I have a couple brands that are a bunch longer than that.

To be fair, not all sunshades are only 2” in length. I have a couple brands that are a bunch longer than that.
Do you find the longer shade helps with barrel induced mirage?

Do you find the longer shade helps with barrel induced mirage?
Not that I could say. My biggest problem with mirage usually comes from the suppressor, which is why I use a suppressor heat cover. The longer shades are just those that come that way from the scope manufacturer.

I was surprised that i would need one but happy that i had it when I did need it . better to have and not need than need and not have I guess you could wrap paper or a target around the scope and get about the same effect that's a free or near free option that could work in a pinch . A split paper towel role could work with some fiddling with in a pinch as well

Last edited:
I was surprised that i would need one but happy that i had it when I did need it . better to have and not need than need and not have I guess you could wrap paper or a target around the scope and get about the same effect that's a free or near free option that could work in a pinch .

So what you do as a last minute shade is, you grab a box of ammo, and slide it into your scope.

I leave the sun shades on my scopes full time. If a barricade is too small to push the scope through with the shade, it’s too small to push it through without. The shade protects the objective from rain as well as sun.

My thoughts are that they are seldom needed, but when you need one you really need it. To the point that at certian angles of the sun you might not be able to take a shot without the shade.
I’ve got a new 6.5 hunting rifle I run sunshade on all my scopes but I have a Nikon buckmasters2 3-9-40 they don’t make a shade for I have a 2.5-10-50 Nikon monarch3 but I need to send it to Nikon for them to check it out confirm all is good I put it on already but wen tightened the scope down it pushed it to far to the left to get my adjustment back I took it off replaced the 2 piece mounts that came on it put a warne one piece on it but haven’t tried it I was going to send to Nikon make sure it’s not the scope what u think I shout do I do have a shade on that monarch3

guess its up to the person using it or not I use mine full time guessing its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it . I can always take it off in unneeded you can always fold an extra target or paper around the objective lens and do about the same thing just much cheaper than the real thing .

I run a shade all the time. It protects the lens and helps control light flair. Some optics need it more then others.

I run mine at matches and take it off hunting.