• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Super cheap lighter rifle and scope for comps/field courses...am I crazy?

Bass Ackwardz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2011
KC, Mo.
So, I have not shot any matches in the last 5 years, but now my daughter is wanting to train and start shooting a match or two a year. We prefer field courses rather than PRS type matches. She has a nice rifle built by a former GA smith that is perfect for her. It is chambered in the ancient caliber of 260, but shoots really well. I sold the scope on her rifle and both of my rifles so, I need to buy a couple of scopes and a rifle for myself. Now I know what you are thinking, I am made of money...lol, well you would be wrong. The daughter is in college and costs me more money now than she did when I was shooting a full match schedule.

So this is what I am thinking....

I am going to buy a couple of the Vortex Viper PST Gen II’s in 3-15x44. They are on clearance for $599 each. Seems to be a decent option. I really have no need for super high magnification as when I had 5-25’s I never turned them up past 16-18 anyway. I prefer a bigger field of view. Will this affect me on some of the farther targets, maybe, but I am willing to sacrifice.

As far as a rifle for me, I am wanting to go with something around $1k. So my options are limited. I want it chambered in 260 as well so loading for both rifles won’t be difficult at all. I have plenty of components already including tons of once fired or new brass. Being that my options are severely limited, I have decided to look at a Remington 700 Magpul in 260 that I can buy for right around that $1k mark NIB on GB. Yes, I could probably find an action used and spin up a barrel, but then I still need a stock and such to put it in. I am not trying to win any matches, just have fun with my daughter and compete a little bit.

Ok, tell me, am I crazy?

Reactions: Raistlin2947
I think the scopes will work out pretty well. But I’d hold off and look for a different rifle. The Remington might shoot sub MOA it might do 3 MOA. Bergara would be a good way to go but I don’t think they do a 260. Tikka does do a 260 and is a great rifle for the money.

edited for misspelling Bergara

Last edited:
Reactions: Bass Ackwardz
Only thing I’d change is get the vortex strike Eagle 5-25 for around the same price. Lots of positive reviews on here. Not that you need more magnification but Higher max power means your lower power will have better clarity.

My Tikka Tx3 in .260 cost $800 new, admittedly on a good sale. It's accurate enough to be competitive with only a trigger spring. Factory 10 round mags are a little pricey, but readily available and function great.

I think the scopes will work out pretty well. But I’d hold off and look for a different rifle. The Remington might shoot sub MOA it might do 3 MOA. Bergara would be a good way to go but I don’t think they do a 260. Tikka does do a 260 and is a great rifle for the money.

edited for misspelling Bergara
Yeah, I thought about that. If I was shooting factory ammo of some sort, I would definitely hesitate, but I figure handloading I can get it into the moa-sub moa area. If not, I do have a Schneider 6.5 blank I can spin up. My other thought was to buy a Mack Bros Evo stainless and spin that barrel up and then spring for a used stock/chassis. I am torn. But the positive is I can shoot that Remington in the NRL hunter factory division.

I think these are a great deal. I have a Bushnell Elite tactical and a Vortex Razor Gen II. The DMR II isn't in the class of the Razor but still a very nice scope.

Reactions: texag0842