• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Super Hogster Focus Ring....

Cat Spring

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2020
Any way to loosen this up. A real PIA and takes too much pressure to turn especially with the lens cap and body in the way. Are they all like this or just mine?

Mine is tight too. I think someone makes a throw lever or something to grab on to.

I tried to loosen mine up a bit with use, it is still tighter than...well...it's tight.

Reactions: camocorvette
This is common with many thermals. I always have one of these on all of my thermals and even some day scopes.

Focus Extender

chassis2.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette
How does the battery pack hanging off the side work for you? I am still trying to figure out where mine should ride. For now, it is in a stock pack, riding on the weak-side cheek piece.
That said, for anyone running a hogster, invest in an external battery! Not only will it easily outlast several sets of CR123s, it plugs in for a recharge rather than going in the trash the next day. Single-use CR123s are for suckers. But then you have to figure out where to put it...

Until I get used to the controls I am using it as a observation piece and hand held there is no option to attach a external battery in my case. So far I put the external battery in a top shirt pocket which is not convenient so far. I wish there was a picatinny rail to attach a external battery but it isn’t so.

Are you wishing there was a picatinny rail on the scope or battery? I can' tell by the response. The TRB from Night Goggles includes a picatinny mount, so you can put it anywhere you have a rail.

How does the battery pack hanging off the side work for you? I am still trying to figure out where mine should ride. For now, it is in a stock pack, riding on the weak-side cheek piece.
There are lots of options. A person can mount it vertically on using a M-Lok Picatinny, I like to lay it flat like shown on my image. It also allows me to get the cord on the left side of the gun away from by bolt. There are so many different ways to mount it with an AR or chassis system.

There are lots of options. A person can mount it vertically on using a M-Lok Picatinny, I like to lay it flat like shown on my image. It also allows me to get the cord on the left side of the gun away from by bolt. There are so many different ways to mount it with an AR or chassis system.
Agreed. I have the TNVC battery pack and have pulled the battery out to ride in the stock pack. My issue is the hogster is mounted on an SBR, so no abundance of rail space. Additionally, the rifle is often slung, so arranging the battery such that is isn't in from of the optic (top rail) and isn't banging into me (one side rail) and isn't in danger of being sheered off (other side rail) makes it a challenge. My solution works at the moment, but I am looking for a better solution, which might end up being an inner tube section holding the battery to the weak side mag well.

My point was that whatever the mounting approach, the external battery is absolute titties.

Are you wishing there was a picatinny rail on the scope or battery? I can' tell by the response. The TRB from Night Goggles includes a picatinny mount, so you can put it anywhere you have a rail.

Wish there was a picatinny rail on the scope to mount a external battery to use as a hand held.

Wish there was a picatinny rail on the scope to mount a external battery to use as a hand held.
With the compact size of the Hogster, not sure where they would put it. If you have any rail left at all, you could also use a 90 degree adapter like this and mount it to either side of gun, if you don't have a keymod or mlok style option on your gun to put a rail on the side.

My point was that whatever the mounting approach, the external battery is absolute titties.
Agree 100% as you should get an entire night of hunting with it. It runs mine for more than 10 hours.

Back to the original programming, yes mine is very hard to turn. Not sure why but it never triggered my brain to use the lever (I had one of those tie wrap levers laying around and it works great). thanks for the suggestion. I use a small external battery and short USB cord attached to the handguard with a Ranger band. Not a lot of battery life (I haven.t timed it) but better than burning up CR123s.

So that I can use the Super Hogster as a hand held with external battery I will try glueing a Picatinny rail mount to a battery and attach to the quick mount at the bottom of the thermal.
E8D7C9BD-4477-419B-867F-AAFE5941C428.jpeg

I would probably recommend a shorter pic rail as you don't need this much length. Also JBweld can work well.

Found a spare rail the same length as the battery and used gel super glue. Works just fine for my application!😊
D9943210-7AE7-455A-A496-4C698FA7F4E1.jpeg

Love it. Here are just a few coyote videos from recently. Lots more on the Night Goggles - You Tube Channel.

In the last video at 3:50 mark, it looks like you catch a glimpse of bullet trace? Have not noticed that in any other video's.

Last edited:
Maybe a slight sign of it. On super cold nights on long shots, I have seen it before where it is crazy to watch the bullet flight almost like a tracer round.

Reactions: smoooth1
As I was sighting in my new Super Hogster on the ar-15 at 100 yards , cardboard target tacked to a firewood round, shooting into the end grain, I noticed a spot on the target glow then fade out . It was the heat signature of a .223 round in the cardboard! Hell I could call my shots from 100 yards looking through the scope. Playing with this thing in the yard its easy to spot mice at 60 yards in the grass. I'm impressed.

Reactions: smoooth1
I see people with throw levers on focus and I just don’t understand why. I have a couple hundred hours and dead hogs on my 25mm Hogster-R and have yet to even touch the thing.

As folks get older many have their focal length change slightly during the day. I can focus a optic and two hours later I need to tweak it slightly to see through it properly.

I see people with throw levers on focus and I just don’t understand why. I have a couple hundred hours and dead hogs on my 25mm Hogster-R and have yet to even touch the thing.
The 25 is a 1.4x native mag. The Super Hogster is a 2.9x native mag. The more magnification, the more the optic needs to be focused to keep a clear picture. However, I still don't adjust my Super Hogster a lot as once you find that sweet spot for focus, it can stay there most of the time. Due to the compact size of the Hogster and the position of the focus ring, it can be hard to adjust especially with gloves on. You can get a focus extender on Amazon for under $10, so it is a nice addition for very little cost.

'Focus extender' or a good throw lever... please tell me more. I have a Super Hogster on order and it's cold outside. Thanks

There are probably lots of options, but the two I typically hear mentioned are the one I use from Amazon and this one from ZR Tactical. The one from ZR Tactical is custom just for the Hogsters. You have to remove the Objective cap to add it and some say it may scratch the focus ring of the Hogster. The ZR Tactical is more cosmetically appealing, and the one from Amazon is cheaper and works on virtually any scope.

Thank you. I have a couple Warne throw arms like this on rifle scopes. Works great with gloves on.

APEX 3D makes a throw lever for the Hogsters. Its pretty slick. Somebody needs to make a rubber molded AR grip with a battery cast in. Thatd be the knees for external batteries.

Who did y’all buy your Super Hogster from? I’m ready to join the party.
Support Hide Sponsors. Night Goggles provides a Hide discount and has a lot of experience with them as well as has provided lots of videos of the Super Hogster. Most of the videos on the Night Goggles site are of me coyote hunting with the SH, and yes, I am a Prostaff member for them. I have spent a great deal of time behind one if you have any questions.

I purchased my R35 from Tom at night goggles. Very good to deal with!