• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Super Sniper Rings?

jeremiahak

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2009
Fairbanks, Alaska
Has anyone tried out the new Super Sniper rings yet? They seem like a bargain price, but are they a deal like there scopes? I have the Burris XTR's on my .308, but I'm getting a .223 bolt gun together, and looking for some rings.

JP

Re: Super Sniper Rings?

I'm using them with a SS 10x and they seem to be solid. No complaints so far. They do come with 1" inserts so that's a plus.

Sled Dog,

How long have you had them on your rifle? This is for a .223 so they won't be seeing very heavy recoil. What size are you using? Any fit and finish issues so far? Thanks for you help.

Jeremiah

I have a set just installed. The issue I ran into is the mounting cross-bolt is square from the base of the head to the threads and in my case, too large to fit into the grooves of my Ken Farrel mount. I had to take the screws to a grinding wheel and round them out (they are fairly substantial) before they would sit flush on the mount.

I have a set just installed. The issue I ran into is the mounting cross-bolt is square from the base of the head to the threads and in my case, too large to fit into the grooves of my Ken Farrel mount. I had to take the screws to a grinding wheel and round them out (they are fairly substantial) before they would sit flush on the mount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Mildot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The issue I ran into is the mounting cross-bolt is square from the base of the head to the threads and in my case, too large to fit into the grooves of my Ken Farrel mount. </div></div>

FYI,some of the earlier Farrel mounts were too narrow.. (so the rings <span style="font-style: italic">may</span> be just fine)

I had this problem with an early Farrel mount,
mic them and contact Ken Farrel,
they made mine right
Andy

I have had mine on a 22lr with picatinny rail adapter from Rimfire Tech, so recoil is pretty much nothing. I went with the larger model, and they're holding a 30mm SS 10x. Everything went together easy, fit was fine, finish is nice.

I don't think you'd have any issues with a 223 with these, I'm planning on using them for a mount on a 25-06 which is more snappy than the 223. I'm not really pressing them with a heavy hitter in either case though. I figured for the money it was a safe bet, and so far it has.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Mildot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The issue I ran into is the mounting cross-bolt is square from the base of the head to the threads and in my case, too large to fit into the grooves of my Ken Farrel mount. </div></div>

FYI,some of the earlier Farrel mounts were too narrow.. (so the rings <span style="font-style: italic">may</span> be just fine)

I had this problem with an early Farrel mount,
mic them and contact Ken Farrel,
they made mine right
Andy </div></div>

Yeah, I guess I should have been clearer that the problem was with the mount, not the rings. I set the rings up on another mount and they went right on. Thanks for the tip on Farrell fixing them, I'll probably pursue that before I change rings again.

Well I got a set of mediums in and put them on my wifes rifle with a 10XSS scope. The scope sets very high off of the barrel (I'm running a 0 moa base) so I just ordered a pair of lows. Once they get here I'll bolt everything up and head to the range. The mediums I got seemed pretty nice, and bolted up without a hitch. I'm going to keep them around in case I ever need a set of rings in a pinch.

JP

I misunderstood your earlier question. I'm using medium height and for me it's a good match, a pretty natural head position and weld. I could fit low rings, but I'm good with the med.

just mounted med rings and they are too high. the swfa ss rings are not the same size as Burris. SWFA doesn't list any specs on their site so you don't know what you are getting. The Medium rings are .607 not 1/2." They told me the low rings are .25 so the lows are the same at burris. Customer service is not very good, and i will spend the extra $8 and go with burris.

Thats weird. I've had very good customer service from SWFA. I own 2 SS10X42M's, and I've ordered 2 sets of rings from them now. All of my orders have gone good, and the items have arrived in acceptable condition functioning properly.

JP

I have to say their customer service has been top notch for me. Extremely quick shipping, responsive to questions, I don't know what you're experience is but mine is all good with SWFA.

Hopefully I'll get my second set of rings as quickly as I got my first. I can't wait to shoot this rifle, and get my wife involved with some bolt action shooting. She has really enjoyed the pistol time at the range, and I'm looking forward to expanding our rifle time too.

Jeremiah

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Mildot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a set just installed. The issue I ran into is the mounting cross-bolt is square from the base of the head to the threads and in my case, too large to fit into the grooves of my Ken Farrel mount. I had to take the screws to a grinding wheel and round them out (they are fairly substantial) before they would sit flush on the mount. </div></div>

Farrell bases are weaver style. SWFA rings are picattinny that is why they do not fit. Weaver rings will fit a picattinny mount, but not the other way around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MG386</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just mounted med rings and they are too high. the swfa ss rings are not the same size as Burris. SWFA doesn't list any specs on their site so you don't know what you are getting. The Medium rings are .607 not 1/2." They told me the low rings are .25 so the lows are the same at burris. Customer service is not very good, and i will spend the extra $8 and go with burris. </div></div>

So because you did not ask and ordered the wrong rings that is SWFA's fault. Thats funny, sounds like an id 10 t error to me.

Just an update. I got my second set of rings in and installed them on my wife's M700. The rings arrived in good shape, and in a timely manner. Everything went together well, and they appear to be at least as good as the Burris rings I have on my rifle. I'll get the rifle out to the range, and then let you guys know what I think. So far I am happy with all of my SS products.

JP

Looks like the low rings are being sent with the SS 3-9x42 packaged "deal" I bought a couple of days ago. Thanks for posting the link to an acceptable EGW 20moa base, I'll probably go that route. Glad to hear the SS rings are decent - they look nice as well.

I've got the SS low rings and an EGW base on their way. I've got a Nikon 6.5-20x44 that they will be mounted on. We'll see how it goes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MG386</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just mounted med rings and they are too high. the swfa ss rings are not the same size as Burris. SWFA doesn't list any specs on their site so you don't know what you are getting. The Medium rings are .607 not 1/2." They told me the low rings are .25 so the lows are the same at burris. Customer service is not very good, and i will spend the extra $8 and go with burris. </div></div>

Dude, What universe are you in? Their Customer Service is bar none the best around, I have NO affiliation with SWFA other than a satisfied customer. If you don't like the rings is one thing. Flat out putting spewing BS is not. Bought multiple scopes, bases and rings. Never had a problem.

when my LTR comes in I am trying these out. I have a 1" scope right now, but will upgrade in the near future (most I am looking at are 30mm, maybe christmas
smile.gif
and these have the 1" inserts, so I consider them a modular ring. Use them with inserts and then upgrad scope and keep the same rings - for 34.99 great deal. They look great also and definetly look top notch.

Finally got my EGW 20 MOA base and my SS low rings installed. Took it to the range and didn't have any problems. I have a Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20x44 and the scope clears the base by roughly 1/8". For my scope, I think the fit is perfect, however if you have a scope with a larger objective, you may need the medium rings, with a 20 moa base anyway. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the setup. Would do it again.

I just ordered a set and SWFA shot me an email that says they are on Back order.....SO....if you wanna wait.....The guyz over there dont fuck around with costomer service. I got an email and a phone call 5 minutes after I placed the order (on the net) asking me what i wanted to do. Thats outstanding in my opinion

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm using them with a SS 10x and they seem to be solid. No complaints so far. They do come with 1" inserts so that's a plus. </div></div>

I've got the supplied "lows" that came with the packaged kit and I agree, they seem real solid. As mentioned above, they mate with the EGW base (even HD version) perfectly.

what size do I need to put a 40mm bell scope on an AR?

To mount on a Flat top AR you are going to want high rings. But chances are unless you scope is really short you are not going to be able to obtain the proper eye relief with rings.

You would be better off going with the SWFA SSALT, or the Burris PEPR. They are mounts designed to mount the optic forward far enough to give the the proper eye relief and height.