• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Super Snipery Hamilton No 27 boy's rifle

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    Bought this for $150. Patent date 1900, Hamilton no. 27 boys rifle. All I had to do to get this to shoot was wack the firing pin with a punch to free it. At least 100yrs old and works fine. I am going to completely refinish this and re-stock with exhibition grade walnut.
    DSCF0202.JPG

Bought this for $150. Patent date 1900, Hamilton no. 27 boys rifle. All I had to do to get this to shoot was wack the firing pin with a punch to free it. At least 100yrs old and works fine. I am going to completely refinish this and re-stock with exhibition grade walnut.
    View attachment 8225391
    I gave my Hamilton to my granddaughter, very nice youth rifle for the corn crib…

as thin as those stocks are, you could be able to do 3 or 4 rifles out of the wood you have shown,

please post progress pics,

Reactions: Modoc
    View attachment 8225391

If you don't already have the wood contact First Stop Guns in Rapid City, SD they have over 1000 blanks.

605-341-5211

Reactions: lash
    Deserves a Parker Bros. Rust blue, really!

Sirhr
    Rust bluing low guality metal, in old rifles, is a very iffy experiment. I rust blued a Spanish copy of a Smith and Wesson Schofield and it turned a dull matte black. I rust blued a modern steel barrel for a rolling block and it turned out a beautiful deep blue gray.

Remington rolling block that I built. It started out as a rusty receiver my farrier found in a barn. McGowen barrel, case hardened receiver, exhibition Walnut.

remington rolling block 1.JPG

remington rolling block 2.JPG

Rather than chroming, have you looked at electroless nickel plating? It follows hard edges better than chrome, and to my eyes is a nicer finish on a rifle. I coated my R700 years ago and it has stood up to a pretty hard life very well.

Reactions: ZG47A
    Rather than chroming, have you looked at electroless nickel plating? It follows hard edges better than chrome, and to my eyes is a nicer finish on a rifle. I coated my R700 years ago and it has stood up to a pretty hard life very well.
    I've asked for quotes on both from two different companies.

Reactions: ZG47A
    Nice work.

What finish did you end up with? The matte silver looks like ENP, but I don't know if you can do a matte chrome?

Nice work.

What finish did you end up with? The matte silver looks like ENP, but I don't know if you can do a matte chrome?
    The finish is a proprietary Cerakote mix that I make myself. I e-mailed 3 firearms plating companies and none replied.

Reactions: Average guy
    The crome plating business is a real tough one anymore. Not many left willing to jump through the gov hoops. I've had 1.5 pistols chromed in the last few years and the two different smith's used the same shop but they only work for gunsmiths that they have a relationship with. I couldn't call them and get it done.

Ahh. That's a nice finish.

I just sent mine to a local electroplater, after plugging the barrel (Araldite a case in the chamber, hammer a projectile into the muzzle) and told him to put .0015" onto it. I cut .003" of the face of the bolt to compensate for the added thickness on the lug faces of the bolt and receiver. When that barrel was replaced I recoated the action to get the action threads, and replaced the chrome moly barrel with a stainless one.

No Govt involvement required, but different Govt.