• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Supersonic/Subsonic Rifle build

Agent007

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 25, 2020
    Hello all,

I'm starting a bolt action rifle build and am held up on what cartridge to go with. I have two purposes with this build. 1.) Target shooting out to 1,000 yards (perhaps some competition in the future) and 2.) As a side business, I go around to vineyards, farms, etc. and help with pest control of nothing bigger than a turkey. As with that, sometimes the owners don't want to hear gunshots (including the supersonic crack of a suppressed shot) hence the subsonic need as they are okay with that. At first, the obvious choice and still a strong contender is the 308 winchester.

However, out of curiosity, I wanted to see what other choices there were and maybe have a little bit of fun and go with an unorthodox cartridge.

One of 3 other calibers that seems to fit my bill is the 7mm-08. There are high b.c bullets in the 150-168 grain range and also heavier bullets of 190 grains for possible subsonic loads.

I've always been interested in the 6.5 grendel and want to see if this caliber can fit my bill. I would use flatline 123's and for subsonic the heavier 154 grain from hornady.

Lastly, the 6mmx45 got my attention. Shooting the flatline 88 grains and heavier 115 for subsonic.

I'm asking the members of this site whom are much smarter than I am for tips and advice. Does anyone have experience with these calibers? Especially when it comes to the subsonic load data of them? Are any of these calibers worth pursuing or should I just stick with the 308? Thanks in advance.

Alex