• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

supplements, vitamins, etc. - what is yours?

bcw1284

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2008
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I know we had a thread like this at some point, but be damned if I can find it. Hell, it's a new year so let's start fresh.

What supplements do/don't you folks take, and @ what regimen? Just asking mostly out of boredom & curiosity.

NOT looking to spark a debate about "weight loss" pills and that sort of shit, i'm NOT asking about those - let's be clear on that.

I'm talking like glucosamine, vitamins, stuff like that. Please be constructive to each other and let's discuss what we take and what the benefits might be.

------------------------

I'll start off:

multi-vitamin (GNC mega man)
zinc sulfate
glucosamine
fish oil
vit. C
vit E
EAS whey protein

Also sometimes eat a FRS chew that has b-complex and quercetin in it. It's good for a shot of energy without all the sugar and shit that some other "energy" things have... and it doesn't taste like feet like some of them do.

Re: supplements, vitamins, etc. - what is yours?

-Wake Up
-2 Scoop (68g total) Protein Shake
-1 Animal Pak pill pack
-2 Scoops Nutrex Hemo-Rage Black Ultra Concentrate mixed with Sugar Free Redbull

-Work Out 1.5-2hrs

-2 Scoop Protein Shake

-Lunch with another Animal Pak pill pack and a One-A-Day Men's Pro Edge.

-Snack

-Dinner

-2 Scoop Protein Shake right before bed for a grand total of around 240g protein a day.

When I'm on Animal I can tell a difference in my recovery time vs. when I'm not. Soreness is much much less than without. Also, I'm pretty sure I heard my kidneys cry when I typed all that out, haha! (I drink 1-1.5gal of water per day)

GNC Mega Man Daily
Fish Oil
TriFlex

I only take Whey when I have a long hard work out, and I don't eat right after.

Good Multi, maybe Multi with something you may be lacking.
Extra C & Zinc during the winter
Glucosmine
Fish Oil

There are some interesting new studies suggesting that high concentrate Antioxidants may do more harm than good, as such I've canned the Multi Vit and simply eat a clean/varied diet.

I'm currently on Omega 3's (unless I have fatty fish that day), Vit D (unless I get enough sun that day), Creatine (unless I smash a lot of red meat that day). Glutamine if I'm training especially hard or if feeling run down. Some days I take nothing if my diet/lifestyle means I don't need to supplement.

Was a professional athlete for 10 years, took lots of supplements, since retiring it's been interesting to trial what works for me and what is a waste of time and $. The above without a doubt is a nice return on investment.

Jack3d
Workout (p90x)
2 scooped gnc amp whey protein
Gnc amp megamen strength vitapak with lunch
1 scoop protein between lunch and dinner
Occasional muscle milk before bed.

Fish oil and Vitamin D. While on a business trip 5 years ago I was told by a world renown Endocrinologist to take these two supplements. Since then, the data is suggestive that vitamin D is much more important than once believed. Many people are vitamin D deficient and don't even know it. Google it and check it out.

I don't take any other supplements, but I have really worked hard to eat more fruits and vegetables. I rarely eat fish so the fish oil helps.

One of my friends has adopted the lifestyle detailed in the book Super Foods RX and has had excellent results. I may be doing the same.

I'm not even gonna try to list out all the protien and food, so I'll just keep it to the supps and pills.

Morning
Multi-vitamin
Handfull of BCAA's
Eat
Diet Mnt Dew

Mid morning
Eat
BCAA's
Brewers yeast
Flax/fish oil
Diet Mnt Dew

Lunch
Eat
EAA's
A couple diet Mnt Dews

Mid day
Eat
Mnt Dew

Snack
Protien
Mnt Dew

30 min Pre-workout
Mix the following in water:
Jack3d
L-Leucine
Glycine powder
Beta Alanine
Creatine
Top it off with 2 i/u's of Humalin-R

During workout
EAA's in water
Mnt dew

Post workout
60gr of custom blend protien
L-Leucine
Creatine

Get home post workout
Eat (a good meal low in carbs/high protien)
Omega 3's
Lysine
Butches Bore Shine (to keep it real)

Snack before bed (protien bar)
Snack about 2am-3am (protien bar)

Wake up and start all over!!

Yes, I drink alot of diet mnt dew. I suspect it will be my demise. I drink alot more water during the spring/summer.

with each meal:
500mg CLA
2000mg Omega 3
500mg vit-C
100IU vit-D

addition with first meal and last meal:
half multi Vit
25mg DHEA
25mg Zinc

60g protein ,60g carbs ,trace fats for first 4 meals of the day
60g protein , trace carbs , 20g fat from beef for last 3 meals

all fats from beef ,fatty fish and egg yolks
all carbs come from fruit and sweet potatos
all protein comes from meat and eggs

20g BCAA's while training

Rath has it right, clean up your diet and eat a healty diet and you will get all you need from the food intake. If you get 15 minutes of sun daily you do not need to take vitamin D and to much D is very harmfull. lots of water and cut way back on sodas and stuff with High Frutcose Corn Syrup, that shit is very bad for us. Animal fats are also very bad and should be avoided. could go on and on, but to stay on subject, you are wasteing alot of money if you are on the I need alot of vitamins and supplements routine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kimmel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="color: #FF0000">1)</span>to much D is very harmfull
<span style="color: #FF0000">2)</span>Animal fats are also very bad and should be avoided. </div></div>

1) do you have any idea how much Vit-D it would take to be "very harmfull"?? about 3000+IU a day in combonation with prolonged sun exposure will only elivate the changes of dangerous levels of vit-D and for any real negitive side effects you would have to have a significat amount of calcium in the body. In short Vit-D defeciency is far worse than "over dosing" and as long as your not working outside all day and eating a hand full each day then your going to be fine.

2) Please explain why animal fats are "very bad" and should be avoided?
let me guess , you heard from a freind that was told by a guy who is related to a "nutritionest" that you need Omega-6 fats rather than omega-3's? That is complete and total BULLSHIT , while being an esential fat that our body needs to run effeciently omega -6 fat is <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">IN</span></span>flamitory , meaning it cause inflamation in the human body , in the joints as well as arteries. If you eat and serving of nuts a day and 6 ounces of meat a day you are likely getting more than enough omega-6 fat.
Omega-3 fat on the other hand is not as easly found yet is far better for us , its a natural <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">ANTI</span></span>inflamitory meaning it reduces the inflamation in the human body , we get our omega-3 fats mostly from animal fat !! BUT it needs to be from animals that are eating food they were desgined to eat , like grass fed cows and wild cought salmon , when farm raised these animals are fed corn and corn meal which greatly raises the omega 6 fats and reduces the omega-3 fats which is the main reason that animal fat is look at as being bad for us (because we fucked it up)
I get almost all my daily fat from animal fat , Eggs , and beef mostly but a small serving of RAW milk but as you can see i take extra omega 3 fats. In my off season i take in 200-250g of fat a day and 12-18 eggs a day is common as well as 2 pounds of beef. I will put my blood work up against ANYBODYs to prove animal fats DO NOT cause cholosteral problems.

We have been missled for so long by research that was impropely done and funded by bing pharacutical companies with an agenda , with the results of this you will NOT get truthfull and accurate results

no doubt we need fats in our diet, animal fat in the form of what you get on meat products is not healthy and should be avoided, as in fatty steaks and sausages and so on. you are incorrect is assuming that I just got this info from a friend and and made a assumption. I got this info after reading up on all aspects of nutrition after being told I had Prostate cancer at the age of 52 years old. Being a very active, work out 3-4 times a week, (competetive raquet ball) since I was 19, 6-2 225, not over weight. Why me? so I spent 6 months reading and talking to all experts reguarding nutrition. Prostate cancer is 90 percent driven by our diet and animal fats are not good, along with many other things like processed foods. So believe what you want, it is just facts not something I made up.

Muscle Milk - Chocolate 2 scoops per day
Omega 3 Fish Oil Caplets (2)
One a Day Men's Multi-Vitamin

Low Carb/High Protein Diet

I have lost 15 lbs since Jan 1st by watching what I eat and walking a mile at least 4 times a week. The old term "you are what you eat" has proven to be true in my case.

The biggest hurdle for me was changing my mindset. I use to eat when I was board. Once I committed to change with disciplined eating habit, my body began to respond.

Controlled Labs (CL): Oximega fish oil
CL: orange triad {multi)
CL: Green Magnitude (Creatine)
CL: Purple WrAAth (BCAA's)
CL: White Flood (Pre-workout)

yes, i have a bit of allegiance to Controlled Labs. They make some great products and you can usually find some great deals online.

In reference to the post regarding 15 minutes of sun daily...it's obvious you're not from the mid-west. During the winter our exposure to the sun is almost non-existent. Thus, it's hard to get enough vitamin D in the winter. JJones75 is right when he says that it's tough to get too much vitamin D. So many people are vitamin D insufficient and have no idea. The next time you go to the docter specifically request that they check your vitamin D levels when they do the rest of your bloodwork. Believe it or not, many endocrinologists will prescribe massive amounts of vitamin D if you're insufficient to get your levels up and then back it off. I have heard of some people taking as much as 50,000 IU's a day until their levels returned to normal.

AS it relates to omega 3's for me personally it's tough to eat much wild salmon. I like it and I get it when I can, but it's certainly not a staple in my diet like I wish it were. That's why I take fish oil daily. I guess I'll find out in about 40-50 years if I were right or not. LOL

you are absolutly right, every case is different and it makes a big difference in where you live. Here in Colorado we get 300 plus days a year of sunshine, hard not to get your vitiman D unless you never leave the house. As in all cases also every person should have there blood work done yearly and make adjustment to their diet and vitimans. taking large amounts of vitimin D with out knowing what you are lacking or needing is or could be harmful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kimmel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. As in all cases also every person should have there blood work done yearly and make adjustment to their diet and vitimans. . </div></div>

<span style="font-size: 14pt">If no body takes <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">anything</span></span> else away from this thread , please please please take this bit of advise !!!</span>
Your insurance should cover this once a year or at least a huge part of it.
Even if it doesnt or you dont have insurance you can order your own labs on line and have them drawn at a comercial lab like Quest , E-mail me the results and il have my Dr read them for you.
Their are so many little things that we let slip by due to being lazy and than come back and bite us in the ass later. a simple prostrae exam and colonoscopy once a year can save your life !!
Im fortunate enough to have a Dr/friend that is very intrested in what body building diet and supplemnet does to the body and he runs a full lab pannel ever three months and foots the bill for the sake of research

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> a simple prostrae exam and colonoscopy once a year can save your life !!
</div></div>

I literally see this every day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>
I literally see this every day. </div></div>

It amazes me how many guys are so worried about the exam that they won't do it!! My Dr told me "yea the exam sucks but it beats the fuck out of dieing"

I can tell you that there are many guys on this forum who are scared or just lazy that are over 40 and have never had their blood work done, and have started their recomended anual physicals. I can tell you my story some day and how it saved my life by doing that religously and getting the most important blood work as a male, and that is your PSA readings. Most guys have no clue what that is, and it is so important. I found out I had Prostate cancer at 52 because of it and staying on top of that screening every year allowed me to catch it early and beat it. most guys dont catch it early and suffer the fate of being ignorant about it. wake up guys, you have to be proactive about your health!

I wouldn't be able to afford shooting if I used all that stuff! Those Animal Paks don't last too long do they? I haven't looked at them since college about 10 years ago. I use Muscle Milk whey protein after workouts, Ultimate Man One a Day vitamin. Every now and then throw in a Celsius energy drink (no Aspartame or other crap in it).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kimmel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can tell you that there are many guys on this forum who are scared or just lazy that are over 40 and have never had their blood work done, and have started their recomended anual physicals. I can tell you my story some day and how it saved my life by doing that religously and getting the most important blood work as a male, and that is your PSA readings. Most guys have no clue what that is, and it is so important. I found out I had Prostate cancer at 52 because of it and staying on top of that screening every year allowed me to catch it early and beat it. most guys dont catch it early and suffer the fate of being ignorant about it. wake up guys, you have to be proactive about your health! </div></div>
I wanted to get a full exam like this but my doc said at 35, no need for me to do it. He said it will get done in 5 years. I do get my bloodwork done every 2 years though.

We're getting a little off subject, but I agree with the other posters that it's important to go to the doctor every year and get a physical as well as have your labs done. ESPECIALLY if you have insurance and are over the age of 40. It's far better to prevent a negative outcome than to treat one.

jack3d bout 5 am 2 scoops of sythn-6 bout an hour later krill oil is the only vitamin-supplement i take.

Hey guys...just to add to this...

Exited the service 15 yrs back and have had annual doc visits every year since during month of my birthday...knowledge is everything here to say the least so get every test done you can and if something comes back strange then get another test to confirm but do not be an idiot and let this go...

Side note: My glucose levels were 106 last April and I went and signed up for ToughMudder event in October to get my ass back on a PT schedule. I dug up some of the training for when I went through SFAS and used that along with diet changes to prepare...

4 months later I showed up to ToughMudder with a glucose level of 88 and I was 18 pounds lighter...

Eat well, Sleep well, Get checked each year!

Besides food?
protein shakes-Walmart
pre workout-muscle pharm assault
I use to work at gnc so i have tried almost everything.

Now i'm 21 5'10 and a solid 210lbs food is all you need.

Multi-vitamin
fish oil
Iso Mass xtreme gainer protein

I take those 3 every day
On days I lift, I also have:
Jack3d
Arginine

On non-leg days, I also take naNO Vapor

My downfall is my eating habits. I either don't have time to prepare meals, or just don't feel like eating. Hopefully in the next few days, I can turn that around. I know that that is my weakest point, and preventing me from reaching my physical peak.

Also worth mentioning, I am 21, 5'7", weigh around 145, and only have roughly 1/4 to 1/2 of my small intestines, so keeping on weight is relatively difficult with far less of my nutrients being absorbed and utilized.

During annual physical, Dr but me on extra Vitamin D based on test results, even through I take a multi-vitamin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PharmShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fish oil and Vitamin D. While on a business trip 5 years ago I was told by a world renown Endocrinologist to take these two supplements. Since then, the data is suggestive that vitamin D is much more important than once believed. Many people are vitamin D deficient and don't even know it. Google it and check it out.

I don't take any other supplements, but I have really worked hard to eat more fruits and vegetables. I rarely eat fish so the fish oil helps.

One of my friends has adopted the lifestyle detailed in the book Super Foods RX and has had excellent results. I may be doing the same. </div></div>

I like Gaspari products for Protein especially such as the new probiotic and myofusion milk chocolate

i switch between ja3ked and super-pump for pre-workout
or I skip preworkout and use size-on during my workout

use scivation for bcaa

avavite for multi

post workout I mix a scoop or two of protein with a great carbo product called Vitargo which i reccomend to anyone trying to gain muscle

those are my staples I eat about 5-8 times a day too lots of chicken and rice lol

Pure ecapsiliation athletic multi
dymatize whey blend.
sometimes ill drink some of that there BCAA

I do Move Free. That's it.

1 Scoop of Whey Protein in the morning
1/2 Scoop of Muscle Pharm Assault
Work out
2 Scoops of Whey Protein after
Mega Man Sport Vitapak and Omega 3 with lunch
1 Scoop of Casein Protein before bed

I drink plenty of water and green tea throughout the day.

Be careful when taking vitamin supplements that are fat soluble as they can be lead to toxicity.

I am 44 and last year I had to have a stint placed. Not fun and scared the shit out of me and the wife. I was at Perry and just did not have the energy I thought I should have. Anyway the Doc put me on some cholesterol meds and BP meds. About 2-3 months I started to feel like shit, no energy did not care about much. After a Rifle match (Service rifle) I was spent fell asleep on the couch when I got home. Well I Googled how to reverse heart disease. I found an article from Dr. Sinatra If you are taking meds for cholesterol you need to take his advise.
Anyway I am taking:

L-Carnitine, D- Ribose, Magnesium, A good Multi-Vitamin,and CoQ-10
I have been working out with positive results and I feel like I am 20 again. I can do aver 300 push-ups a night. I do them in sets of 40-50 or until I cannot do them anymore. Check it out if you have any heart problems. It may save you life.

16oz Advocare Spark (Double serving)
Take first two packs from Advocare MNS-E{Metabolic Nutrition System-Energy (these have too many vitamins, amino acids, etc. to list)}
Take three Advocare Catalyst

Eat breakfast

30min before lunch take third pack MNS-E

Take fourth MNS-E pack with lunch

One hour before workout take two Advocare O2 Gold tablets and three Advocare Catalyst.
Also drink 8oz serving of Spark and Advocare Muscle Fuel mixed.

After workout 8oz Advocare Post Workout Recovery drink.

Eat a good dinner.

Take three Advocare Nighttime Recovery tablet just before going to bed.

Also periodically during the day, I drink 2-3 16oz bottles of water as well.

-GNC Mega Men Energy & Metabolism multi & fish oil in the AM
-USP Labs Recreate
-MusclePharm CLA Core
-USP Labs Jack3d pre-workout
-IsoPure Zero Carb post workout
-roughly 2 gallons of H2o through out the day daily

Multi vitamins
Vitmain C
Vitamin D
Fish oil
(the list is long on all the aminos)
Protien Shake 36 grams
Food
plus Food
PLus Food
Pre workout (changes everytime) Favorite Super Pump

I do Crossfit, plus weight training.

Taking vitamins is super important, especially since most of our food is lacking in the essentials we need to support healthy living, but don't waste your money on poorly made supplements that your body wont absorb. I have done a lot of research into brands of vitamins and found a guy who I feel has it right.

His name is Raymond Francis and is a MIT chemist. His web site is called Beyond Health, and I only buy his vitamins anymore. He has a book called "Never Be Sick Again" that I found enlightening. His theory is that we get sick or unhealthy through two avenues, cells not getting the nourishment to work properly, and toxins entering our cells.

The read is a little redundant, but I got a lot out of the book. If anyone is looking for good vitamins, I suggest checking him out.

I use only one supplement omega 3 for my fitness purposes.
Omega 3 is the best supplement for our health. It controls the cholesterol level and keep the heart healthy and active.
It is also very effective for the fat burning and weight losing.

Hmm, funny I was just told in a thread I started that vitamins were no miracle in a bottle, etc.

Beverly UMP (protein) mixed in chocolate milk
Beverly Glutamine
ProSource Multi
fish oil, just recently tried the CLA in place of the fish oil.