• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors suppresors and recoil reduction

TEAMSENDIT

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 22, 2008
    whidbey island
    I am definetly a suppressor newbie and wondering how much the suppressor acts as a muzzle break or how much recoil is reduced. I have heard it is a fair amount. I am interested in the suppressor idea if so because then I will be able to see my hits on pdogs better and not scare as many away with the noise.

thanks for any input
    scott

Re: suppresors and recoil reduction

Suppressors do act as a muzzle brake, reducing recoil to a certain extent. They do not reduce it as much as a good, efficient muzzle brake however. Some (or maybe most) of the reduction is due to the 15-22oz of extra weight added to the rig

you live in the great state of Washington, its legal to own a suppressor, but its illegal to put rounds thru one.

what they don't know won't hurt them ergo the sound suppression. but just for the record I will "never" put it on a gun.

Of course! Why would you ever put a suppressor on a gun?
    crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ghilliedup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of course! Why would you ever put a suppressor on a gun?
    crazy.gif
    </div></div>

Im WA state it is legal to own a surpressor, but illegal to install on a firearm.

got to find the loopholes !!! I am leaning towards the quicksilver man. 223 titanium.

Suppressor do act as a muzzle brake. And if designed correctly are very effective at reducing recoil. I have a 300 Weatherby that I suppressed. It worked out well, now what used to be a heavy recoiling and very load rifle is reasonably quite (I can shoot it without hearing protection and be fine) and it the lightest recoiling 300 weatherby I've ever seen. And unlike was already suggested it is not because of weight. The recoil reduction is because of good design.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what they don't know won't hurt them ergo the sound suppression. but just for the record I will "never" put it on a gun. </div></div>

Dude you're walkin a fine line here this site is monitored by so many law enforcement entities it's no joke.

I wouldn't go soundin off like that. I'm not personally aware of the levity of that particular crime in Washington but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a Felony. This is the last place to advertise that kind of idea.

It's also bad for everyone here because it permeates a sense of permisiveness with breaking firearms laws we don't agree with. That's a bad thing for all of us because it can be misused. I'll edit and remove this post if you do the same with yours.

I hate to sound off like a dick, but honestly it's in everyones best interest including yours.

Just for clarification.... It's a gross misdemeanor and it's NOT illegal to put it on a gun, you're not "using" it to suppress sound while it's on a gun, you are looking at it and that's all. Fire that same gun and you could go to jail!
    <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="color: #990000"> DISCLAIMER: The above is "MY" interpretation of the law....and only that. It's worth what you paid for it!!</span> </span></span>

RCW 9.41.250
    Dangerous weapons — Penalty —

(1) Every person who:

(c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm,

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

All that being said....I agree this is not the place to "joke" about them not knowing and not hurting....respect the laws and be serious about them or you'll make it worse for those who do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just for clarification.... It's a gross misdemeanor and it's NOT illegal to put it on a gun, you're not "using" it to suppress sound while it's on a gun, you are looking at it and that's all. Fire that same gun and you could go to jail!

RCW 9.41.250
    Dangerous weapons — Penalty —

(1) Every person who:

(c) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm,

is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

</div></div>

Thanks for the clarification. I just re-read Oregon's gun laws yesterday interesting stuff
    laugh.gif

just for the record I was told by some washington police officers that it is only a minor fine (under 100 bucks) if you get caught firing it with it on. however the real problem is people that are doing things with them that they shouldn't legally be doing. shooting steal plates out in the desert isn't exactly dangerous or illegal, but I am for sure going to be more careful with my wordings of such. thanks for your replies.