• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Suppressed 09 White Tail

blksno

I don't have one
Minuteman
  • Mar 15, 2009
    SD
    Been trying to find a nice deer to shoot archery for about 2 months now and have seen some dandy's and a lot that just don't measure up. Decided that with it being the last weekend of rifle season (and still 6 weeks of archery) I better get out the boom stick.
    Cousin that I hunt with in Southwestern South Dakota is getting some HUGE mule deer going and planning to start offering guided hunts, so it's time to start to weed out the management deer. I was happy to oblige. Saw this big mature 3x3 white tail from about 800m before dark on Friday and decided it was a weed that needed to be pulled.
    Made a stalk across the open country and found a little gopher mound 397m away to get my gun up above the grass...gave him a good look and one last sniff of doe Va-J-J before PSST!..SMACK!
    Slipped the 75gr VMAX right into the top of his back between the shoulder blades as he lowering his head. Down like a 250lbs bag of spit. Doe turned around to see what the heck happened, felt something wasnt right, trotted another 20-30m before wondering why her lover wasn't following anymore...Coming back to look was a bad idea. 425m...PSST!...SMACK. Right in the sternum and out the far side lung. Trotted about 50 feet before passing out from blood loss. Tried getting back up and tipped over in a puddle of bloody foam.
    <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">
    WATCH THE VIDEO
    </span></span></span></span>
    24" AR.243WSSM
    YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
    75gr VMAX 3200fps
    Bushnell Elete 1500
    iTouch w KAC BulletFlight 3.0

Re: Suppressed 09 White Tail

Good read and nice work! Man I wish I could use a supressor in WA...we can own them just can't mount them. Can't wait to move back to Oregon. Anyhow nice shootin!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigsteve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good read and nice work! Man I wish I could use a supressor in WA...we can own them just can't mount them. Can't wait to move back to Oregon. Anyhow nice shootin!</div></div>

You can mount them all you want in Wa State, you just can't slap the trigger with one mounted....

You are right...still doesn't make sense to pay for the can and the stamp to have a very expensive decoration.

that is an awesome looking deer. Wish we had those that big in Virginia. Nice rig too.

New Mexico is GTG with a Can...

Nice write up, pictures and deer.

Good proof that 75 grains is enough, I just got my first deer yesterday morning with a 75 gr A-Max in .223 and he dropped after standing still for 2-3 seconds.

Thanks a lot for the props fellas...gotta bite the bullet and take out a management deer every now and again, can't get a record breaker every year...ALTHOUGH its the biggest 3x3 I have ever seen. No broken points, no extras starting to come in. Doesn't look like it was ever going to get bigger.
    Wasn't quite as snipery as I usually like...I haven't finished the camo on the AR yet..and i didnt have my guille along...oh well, fun none the less.

Hey look it's the Whitetail Ninja
    grin.gif

Nice rack

I don't hunt (nothing against it, I hate deer and am glad to see every one dead)

But a question - how do you defend hunting with a suppressor as a sporting method of hunting?

When I shoot long range (which on the east coast is 200 yards) I'm regularly getting at 0.75 MoA groups. SO hunting with a scope seems to be not that much of a challenge.(a long range shot at an east coast deer is 50 yards. heavy underbrush growth makes longer than that fairly rare in my area.)

To add a suppressor seems unsporting (if using subsonic ammo)

Might as well use a machine gun.

No offense meant, and I'm not gonna argue the point - I'm just curious to hear anyone defend the sporting nature of using a suprpessor while hunting (and I am NOT saying the state has the right to outlaw them for hunting)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What's that say on the back window? </div></div>
    I was wondering the same thing...

Theres nothing unsporting about saving your hearing...cant understand why so many people buy in to the hang up that suppressors are somehow a bad thing...guess that the shooting /hunting community has done a piss poor job at educating our fellow shooters on the benefits of suppressors...especially on centerfire rifles !

I think I read this on here somewhere- You have a muffler on your vehicle right? Same thing.

Unsporting is all in the eye of the beholder. Recently in PA the game commission legalized the use of crossbows in archery season. A lot of archers have been crying about how "unsporting" that is. Like the compound bow they're using with sights, release, stabilizer, and 80% let-off is the same as using a recurve.

Suppressors don't make the shot easier, just quieter.

Back on topic. C_bass, looks like a lot of fun. Good shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Theres nothing unsporting about saving your hearing...cant understand why so many people buy in to the hang up that suppressors are somehow a bad thing...guess that the shooting /hunting community has done a piss poor job at educating our fellow shooters on the benefits of suppressors...especially on centerfire rifles ! </div></div>

FYI....

I own 3 suppressors (AAC M4-2K, Trident 9, and YHM Mite) and in the process of buying a 4th (Ops Inc 12th Model) and am in the early stages of building my own.

I also own 2 machine guns and 1 SBR.

I'm all for suppressors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DanW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

That's my point - theoetically, a quieter shot makes it LESS necessarey to actually be a good shot to take a deer. Quiet enuf, and you could (theoretically) empty an entire mag of misses, and as long as you hit on the last shot just before the bolt locks back (assuming semi auto) you still get the deer.

Sporting?

THAT is my question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What's that say on the back window? </div></div>
    I was wondering the same thing... </div></div>

"Class III Weapons Dealer"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garandman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't hunt (nothing against it, I hate deer and am glad to see every one dead)

But a question - how do you defend hunting with a suppressor as a sporting method of hunting?

When I shoot long range (which on the east coast is 200 yards) I'm regularly getting at 0.75 MoA groups. SO hunting with a scope seems to be not that much of a challenge.(a long range shot at an east coast deer is 50 yards. heavy underbrush growth makes longer than that fairly rare in my area.)

No offense meant, and I'm not gonna argue the point - I'm just curious to hear anyone defend the sporting nature of using a suprpessor while hunting (and I am NOT saying the state has the right to outlaw them for hunting)

</div></div>

Being quiet is not unsporstmanlike. Take a look at bow hunters. That's just as, if not quieter, than shooting a supersonic bullet into or past a deer.

I somehow miss how all the non-hunters act like putting meat on the table has to be sporting. Did they give the last steak they ate a chance to run? Or did it have a chance to even escape and go live in the wild? Taking game humanely is an issue. Using a can I would think, helps with that.

People tend to forget that a lot of places across the pond require them for hunting...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garandman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't hunt (nothing against it, I hate deer and am glad to see every one dead)

</div></div>

First off, why do you "hate" deer? Thats quite odd.

Comparing a "machine gun" to a suppressed weapon is apples to oranges, maybe consider that a suppressor defeats the need for hearing protection (to an extent). How would a suppressor be an advantage when hunting? Unless you consider it to be a real sport, to give the animal a warning shot before you kill it???

Looks like Ill be moving to SD when I graduate! I hate Ohio's law about not hunting with suppressors (not like I can hunt anything but Yote with a HP rifle anyway), but like mentioned above theres no reason suppressors should not only be legal to hunt with, but encouraged! The govt makes $200 off every one sold, theres less damaged hearing, and less pissed off neighbors.

</div></div>
    Na a machine gun would be alot harder to kill a deer @ 400M with. Hmmm the sporting nature of using a suppressor??? whats the sport in taking yote 20mtrs away with a shotty? or wearing a scent block suite while sitting 20ft up in a tree with a bow that makes no noise? suppressor or no suppressor, its about getting out and ejoying the hunt, thats why we do it, try it sometime you might like it. The hell with thinking using a suppressor is not sporting, to answer your ?, you still have to locate the animal, oh yeah we use high power bino's and spotting scopes to see miles further than with our naked eye, is that sporting? after that make sure the winds right, make a good stock who know how far maybe 1/2 a mile maybe 5 or 10 miles, and on top of all that you have to get into position and actually make the shot. who the hell uses subsonic ammo out to 400M to kill a big game animal??? K then I understand why your not a hunter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: -Ace-</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    First off, why do you "hate" deer? Thats quite odd.</div></div>

They are a scourge, everywhere I've lived. They wreck my car (literally, they run into the side of my car) One time, one of them launched off a road bank, and only by the grace of God did I see it and swerve. Otherwise, it would have come thru the windshield.

They routinely destroy my landscaping. I've lost hundreds of $$$$ worth of plantings to them.

The meat tastes nasty (to me) , so they aren't even good eating.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Comparing a "machine gun" to a suppressed weapon is apples to oranges, maybe consider that a suppressor defeats the need for hearing protection (to an extent). How would a suppressor be an advantage when hunting? Unless you consider it to be a real sport, to give the animal a warning shot before you kill it??? </div></div>

Using subsonic ammo, you quite possibly could get SEVERAL shots at them before they can react. Again, east coast hunting is usually 100 yards and less, and subsonic ammo is definitely viable in that range.

I guess my definition of sporting is "a clean kill on the first shot." And you shouldn't need a suppressor to do that.

Again, I don't think anyone using a can to hunt is a "bad person" and I don't beleive the state has the right to make their use illegal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HiCapMag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.

Garandman....just be quite and read dude. </div></div>

Be quite what?

SO as not to mess with a cool pic and a nice deer and the general enjoyment of this pic thread, I posted something in the hunting section.

Enjoy.
    smile.gif

I guess its time for the White Tail Ninja to re-appear.
    Thanks to everyone that likes reading good hunting stories and seeing pics. I know I know, poke fun at the deer ninja thing, but thats ok...I had a lot of fun hunting this year.
    My Sept-Thanksgiving is spent hunting almost EVERY weekend. Archery Deer (1), Pronghorn (2), West River Deer (3), East River Deer (2), Grouse (LOTS), Pheasant (MORE), Coyote (just getting into).
    Like that guy over in the "rabbit thread" said. When you hunt with your kids, you will never have to hunt FOR your kids. In the spirit of the weekend, I'd just like to say that I am very thankful for my dad taking me hunting early in life, even though it seemed to my mom that he was trying to lose me out in the field.
    Getting a BB gun at age 5 and being taught how to use it right, firearm safety and respect, all things that bring a father and son close for man many years. Hunting together isn't about killing an animal, its about family spending time together in the field. No jobs, no school, no worries, just family spending time together in nature.
    I don't want to put down anyone about their negative thoughts about hunting with a suppressor. It just surprises me that a suppressor OWNER would have that view. All I can say is...TRY IT. Not only will you realize that it doesn't make as big of difference as you think, but you might actually enjoy your trigger time instead of having to look over and see your buddy with his ears covered.
    I understand that on the East Coast a long shot might be 200m, but out here you would be lucky to get that kind of chip shot. I don't even practice inside of 200 cause its too easy. I don't take running shots, I don't take low percentage shots. A 400m shot is by no means, outside my comfort level.
    When the deer are in rut, they do strange things, a whole herd of deer could be spooked by a rousted grouse, something they see every day. That same herd might not pay any attention to a hunter walking across a ridge or a gunshot from across the valley. Most of the time, you could shoot all day at a buck...and if his doe aren't spooked, he won't give two shits about what you are doing. Having a suppressor on a weapon may confuse a deer as to where a shot came from, or confuse them since it doesn't sound like a typical gun shot...hell, the suppressor even snugged up my groups so I shoot better...HELL YES I'd call it an advantage over an unsuppressed rifle. But so were bolt guns over muzzle loaders. Like said earlier...if your taking that stand, you had best be handing in your scope, giving back your RealTreeAP Camo, trading off your Scent Killer 99%, toss away those high power rifle shells, pick up your musket and make damn sure it doesn't have rifled barrel...cause that'd just be unsportsmanlike.
    I just about want to puke when I see people on the hunting channel dressed up in there camo and blaze orange and sit inside a heated ground blind that looks like a big plywood box and takes a 100m shot at a 150lb deer that was feeder fed and food plot lured to grow a 175 class rack. Talk about cheating.
    To each his own, give it a try, I bet you'll like it, I will never hunt without it again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't want to put down anyone about their negative thoughts about hunting with a suppressor. It just surprises me that a suppressor OWNER would have that view. All I can say is...TRY IT. </div></div>

I don't mean to put down anyone who uses one for hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Having a suppressor on a weapon may confuse a deer as to where a shot came from, or confuse them since it doesn't sound like a typical gun shot...hell, the suppressor even snugged up my groups so I shoot better...HELL YES I'd call it an advantage over an unsuppressed rifle. . </div></div>

These are the advantages I'm referrring to. But as I said above, I'm punching out of your cool pic thread, and anyone who wants to pursue the discussion can do so in teh hunting forum.

Enjoy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garandman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DanW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

That's my point - theoetically, a quieter shot makes it LESS necessarey to actually be a good shot to take a deer. Quiet enuf, and you could (theoretically) empty an entire mag of misses, and as long as you hit on the last shot just before the bolt locks back (assuming semi auto) you still get the deer.

Sporting?

THAT is my question. </div></div>

I'm pretty sure the deer can hear the sonic crack of a round passing overhead. (I have and I don't even hear that well)

BTW, the inventor of the suppressor, Hiram Maxim, IIRC, thought it made the sport of hunting a much more gentlemanly sport...

Nice work there, Ninja Deer Slayer! Thanks for the pics. I wish Texas would let us hunt with a suppressor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TexasRedNeck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Nice work there, Ninja Deer Slayer! Thanks for the pics. I wish Texas would let us hunt with a suppressor. </div></div>

Thanks dude, <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-size: 14pt">VIDEO SHOULD BE UP TONIGHT!</span></span> If YouTube ever gets their maintenance done.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vE5LlYqgcys"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vE5LlYqgcys" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Very nice.
    Would have loved to been there.
    In my state you usually only see trees and brush beyond 50 yards.
    Thanks for the write up and video.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dominique</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice deer man ! How far was the shot??? </div></div>
    pardon my reply, but <span style="font-style: italic">read the write-up and watch the video again</span>...it says twice haha. just bustin your balls though man, thanks for the props. the buck was 397m and the doe was 425m when i missed the head shot and hit the hill 300-400m behind it...and about 3-5 steps closer when i punched one into her air filter.

Nice shot on the buck. Can't say I'd ever try a head shot on a deer, but to each their own.

What capacity does that magazine have in the video? Looks rather large for the 5 round capacity legal in SD. Same with your lack of fluorescent orange required when hunting with a firearm in SD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OlsenG_360</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shot on the buck. Can't say I'd ever try a head shot on a deer, but to each their own.

What capacity does that magazine have in the video? Looks rather large for the 5 round capacity legal in SD. Same with your lack of fluorescent orange required when hunting with a firearm in SD. </div></div>

They are 30rd PMAGS that I Custom Modified to hold 11rds of WSSM Ammo for 'yotes, then built a removable "plug" inside the mag housing and use a 20rd spring to limit it to 5. Similar to how they make the 30rd mags legal for Cali
    10/30 PMAGS Conversion

I was wearing a Blaze Under Armor Beenie until we found our deer and moved in for the stalk. My camera man however was in a blaze vest. You're right, SD has Blaze rules and I shouldn't take it off while hunting, but where I was at, the only threat to being shot would have been from a 5 mile trespasser.

nice write up and video. I use a suppressor on about everthing i have now and I should have had one ten years ago so i would still be able to hear a cricket in the house. Can't say i agree with the orange,, I hate it also but it is the law. But its your dance.

Again, nice hunt/deer.

I hunt around kadoka,,, you in the Martin area??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DELTANATE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are the spec's on your rifle? </div></div>

.4 MOA at 200 with my 75VMAX and 35.7gr of Varget

DPMS Lower / Lower Parts Kit Build
    .243WSSM Ultra-Match Upper from Accuracy Systems
    1:9 Twist, 24"x (1.1" under hand guard, .936" at the gas block, .885" at muzzle)
    Bill Springfield 3lb trigger job
    ERGO Tactical Deluxe Suregrip w/ Palm Shelf in Coyote Brown
    CAA SRS Stock w/ Pod
    Mark 4 30mm Super High Rings
    Barska SWAT 10-40x50 IR w/ ARD and Butler Creek Caps
    Olympic Arms 12.5 FIRSH Rail
    ERGO Dark Earth 2 Slot Rail Covers
    CAA Universal Equipment Mount
    Harris HBRM-S 6"-9" w/ notches and HB25
    YHM Phantom 7.62 QD
    Desert Sand Cerakote by Yours Truely

Thats basically exactaly how I hunt in nebraska every year. Except I have a backpack because I am on foot.

Why the head shot, especially at that range? Have you ever seen a deer with it's jaw blown off because someone tried to show off and shoot them in the head? The deer dies a terrible death of starvation just so someone can try to show off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What headshot?

I read two body shots. Did I miss something? </div></div>

He said this in one of his other posts...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the buck was 397m and the doe was 425m when i missed the head shot and hit the hill 300-400m behind it...</div></div>