• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressed 308 build

Groundedclk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2007
Tilton, New Hampshire, USA
I am looking at building a suppressed 308 rifle with a 18" barrel, this rifle will only be fired with subsonic rounds. I have a couple questions that I know you can answer.

To start with ammo:

From my understanding, 230gr OTM is the best choice correct?

Is a 1:10 barrel twist the best option?

Integrally suppressed barrel or 18" barrel with suppressor?

What is going to be a realistic distance I can reach out to with such a load and rifle?

If 100% subsonic, you could use an even shorter barrel. There is more flexibility with a removable suppressor.

230s are fine. I haven't seen a big advantage with the high BC bullets when shot subsonic, though. You may be able to use a cheaper 220gr.

Accuracy degrades significantly past 350 yards, unless you are very proficient at reading wind.

Any particular reason why you would choose .308 over 300blk for a subsonic only rig? Pay $200 for the tax stamp and chop it down to 10"-12". If shooting subsonic only, you gain nothing with the extra barrel length. A 1/10 twist may work, but I'd try to get closer to 1/7.

Screenshot_20190404-115234.jpg

You could pick up a ruger ranch in 300blk for ~$450, chop a couple inches off, slap on a 1x-6x LPVO and have a very handy sub shooter

Last edited:
I would do a 1/8. I have a 17" 1/8 being spun up for me right now for this exact purpose. Dave Tooley and several other smiths I talked too all recommend a 1/8 over a 1/10 if your going to be shooting primarily heavies.

Since you are only using it for subs, barrel length doesn't really matter then. Have you thought about building a bolt action pistol off a chassis? Could get it super short and handy, put a 8-10" barrel on it. Could even go shorter if you wanted.