• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressed 6.5CM barrel length

generalzip

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Jun 30, 2010
    Houston, tx
    I know I know another one of these. However I haven’t seen many when a suppressor comes into play. I just bought a 24” Christensen Modern Precision rifle. It was a special make as theybusually only do 22 and 26”. I plan on running a direct thread Omega can. Intended purpose is long range hunting for deer out to 450-500 yards as well as informal plinking on steel realistically out to 750-800 yards with seldom occasions out to 1000. However I’ll also have box and tree stand shots as close as 50 yards and would like to keep the rifle short enough to be able to maneuver in a box blind etc. I can’t help but feel like I should have gone with the 22” and still could trade or sell the rifle.

What do do you guys fee is the best barrel length for this cartridge given my purposes and the fact I’ll have roughly 6” added from the can and the extra weight on the end. My hope is the carbon barrel really makes the rifle feel shorter due to center of gravity being further back. The folding stock also makes it more manageable to carry. Just curious what some of you guys use and feel like is a good compromise. I’m more interested in first round hits at 450 yards than I am about “being able to make hits at 1000 after walking it in 4 shots”. I find I hunt way more than I plink. Thanks in advance.

Personally, I'd go with an 18" for the hunting you described. But I have no desire to shoot a deer at 450yds......

Well I’ve got an 18” 308 AR10 and a 20” 6.5cm AR10 both are fairly lightweight. From what I’ve seen and heard 18” will totally neuter the purpose of the 6.5 round. 18” barrel is figure would give about 2500 fps with a 140 grain bullet. That means I’d drop below 1300 ft lbs at 350 yards. I’m not comfortable shooting a deer with less than 1300 ft lbs from such a small diameter and light projectile. Just my personal opinion however as I know it can be done with less.

I have an 18" 6.5CM I run 123's at 2800 fps. With that said, I also have a 6.5x47L I run 140gr's in at nearly 2700 fps. I have never shot the 140grs in the CM, but would bet you could push them faster than 2500 fps.

Another side note. below is a picture of a buck I killed at about 375 yds with my 6.5 Grendel, 123 gr SST at about 2550 fps. A double lung shot with good bullet performance. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot them at 450 yds as long as a "good" shot is possible.
    35637753551_793bfb1377_b_d.jpg

35637752961_e9fb4ec4f0_b_d.jpg

I don't think two inches on a rifle that long wouldn't make much of a difference. Like others have said if you want to keep it short for hunting, really go short. So long as you get the ballistics you need. I could pull off using my 24" 6.5 AIAT with a 7" suppressor for hunting from a box stand but because most of my shots are within 300 yards the 20" 308 barrel with the suppressor works much better.

I have a 18" 6.5 that was built for some match shooting but mainly hunting. With a 9" can, its pretty long. That is the shortest I'd go though, I'm getting 2580fps with the 140gr ELD-M factory rounds.