• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressed doe kill at 675 yards

Jim the Plumber

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Filled my doe tag 2 weeks ago. Used my R-Bros built 6.5x47Lapua with 129 SST's at ~2900 fps. Watched her from about 780 yards out as she meandered down and across a creek. Ended up feeding in a stubble field at 675 yards.
Hit her high in the shoulder, through and through. Used a Gemtec 30cal HVT can.
2011doe2.jpg

Re: Suppressed doe kill at 675 yards

I just picked one [6.5-47 Lapua] up from Mark at Accurate Ordnance (used).

I'm pretty excited to put a can on it and take it for a test drive.

Good to hear the 6.5x47 has balls.

Nice shot!

Is it optical fault or she were waiting for children?

That doe appears to be about twice the size of the bucks here in Texas. Congrats!

nice shot - looks like some good back strap there...yummy

I wish suppressed game hunting was allowed in Texas. Very nice doe!

Nice shot. Love the look of the rifle.

Question
Where can I find rules for hunting with a suppressor. There is nothing on the DNR site or ATF SITE that says I can or can't . I even called my local DNR and the lady had no idea what I was talking about. I'm in S.C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1979brj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shot. Love the look of the rifle.

Question
Where can I find rules for hunting with a suppressor. There is nothing on the DNR site or ATF SITE that says I can or can't . I even called my local DNR and the lady had no idea what I was talking about. I'm in S.C.

</div></div>

Forget about asking the locals. If someone doesn't know...just keep going up the chain till u get to the top.
Be sure to record your calls and saveany emails.

Will do. There is absolutely no document stating anything for WMA or private land (that I can find).

Good shot, and great looking rifle. Is the Gemtech can the QD or threaded model?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wtopace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish suppressed game hunting was allowed in Texas. Very nice doe! </div></div>

X2
But hunting hogs suppressed will have to do!

And nicely done Jim!

Nice shooting, Jim... That rifle has the even has the bolt on the correct side!

1979br- In PA we are allowed to hunt with suppressors because there wasn't anything in the law that said we could not.

An attorney (Joshua Prince) wrote a formal request for clarification to the PA DNR based on that rationale. THeir response was "YOu are correct, nothing says you cannot, so therefore you are allowed to."

It's one of the few things in PA's hunting laws that seem reasonable (there's a lot of screwed up stuff here).

SC is a great state to hunt/fish/live in. I was there for 6 months a couple years back and loved every bit of it.

I'd suggest that you write a formal request like happened in PA and see what SCDNR says. Look up "PA Prince Law" in google for a copy.

yes yes...follow bohem's advice. I've seen a couple examples where "as long as a state does not specifically say you CAN'T"
Then they will usually come right out and say that you can, as long as you find the right person to ask.

SD has it worded really really stupid but as long as you read it correctly, it's obvious that we can as well.

This isn't verbatim but it kinda says this...
"In South Dakota, it is illegal to hunt with a suppressor unless you have been approved for a federal tax stamp."
Which you needed to have a can anyway. I wrote to the "head dude" and got email clarifacation the first year I got my can. I wish the would actually write it in our Game, Fish and Parks hunting rules and regs each year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1979brj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shot. Love the look of the rifle.

Question
</div></div>

Nice photo Jim - thanks for posting it!

Hunting with Silencers - Check the list here:

HUNTING WITH SUPPRESSORS: A LEGAL PRIMER

Kel

TEAM GEMTECH GUY

well done!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ddavis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That doe appears to be about twice the size of the bucks here in Texas. Congrats!</div></div>

Why I'm going to KS to get mine!

Nice shot OP!

Question

</div></div>

Legal in SC.

i got this in an email today from a buddy of mine and here is the pic and story behind it

Bagged this coyote this morning at 802yds! Larry, Mike (both of HTG Silencers here in Boise) and I were testing suppressors out in the desert. Larry, shown in the picture with me, spotted 3 coyotes way off. I ranged them at 800 yards or so. They were moving around obviously. I jumped in my truck bed and shot prone off a bipod. I was using the Sako TRG .338 Lapua Magnum with Sierra 300 gr MK bullets launched at 2700 fps. I used the JDM ballistic program on my iPhone and dialed in 5.3 mils. The wind was 5 mph or so but from straight behind me. I missed the first shot and felt it might of been a little low. They all start running. This one stopped broadside. I held on the spine above the heart and broke the spine.

In the picture the small white dot between Larry and me is the HTG testing trailer. That is where I shot from.
[img:center]
802.jpg
[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta989</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rig where you satisfied with the 129 sst performance on the deer? </div></div>

I'm interested as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta989</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rig where you satisfied with the 129 sst performance on the deer? </div></div>

I'm interested as well. </div></div>

Yes. I think 750 is about the end of the range I would use one at this MV. My daughter shot her buck last year at 333 yards using the same bullet and I shot my last years buck at 553. Both one shot kills. A little too much meat damage but through and through on all 3 animals.
And very accurate.
cool.gif

Hmm thats good to know on the sst. Ive heard mixed results.

In the same vein, here's mine from this morning. It's a 130 Berger at 2935 from a .260, but at significantly closer range- around 60 yards. Double lung shot, so bullet performance didn't matter much, he went about 30 yards. KMW rifle, SAS suppressor.

IMG_0637.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting, Jim... That rifle has the even has the bolt on the correct side!

1979br- In PA we are allowed to hunt with suppressors because there wasn't anything in the law that said we could not.

An attorney (Joshua Prince) wrote a formal request for clarification to the PA DNR based on that rationale. THeir response was "YOu are correct, nothing says you cannot, so therefore you are allowed to."

It's one of the few things in PA's hunting laws that seem reasonable (there's a lot of screwed up stuff here).

SC is a great state to hunt/fish/live in. I was there for 6 months a couple years back and loved every bit of it.

I'd suggest that you write a formal request like happened in PA and see what SCDNR says. Look up "PA Prince Law" in google for a copy. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1979brj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shot. Love the look of the rifle.

Question

</div></div>

Legal in SC. </div></div>

Thanks. talked to a local warden.. Good to go in SC ..

It did, the hole in the far ribs was ragged like the bullet had fragmented but I didn't find any pieces.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Will Fennell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Red,
At that close range, and high velocity, did the 130 Berger exit? </div></div>

Interestingly enough, I've been looking forward to fill a doe tag a or beyond that range as well. I'm sending 210 Bergers at about 2925 (at 40 degrees) with surprising accuracy out of my Armalite .300 SAUM. (pictures, specs and a videos are currently uploading)

Had a doe present herself at 185 yds this weekend and I was too cold to piss around and wait any longer. Held 2 MOA up, 1 left for wind and sent 210 grains of pain just below the base of the ear as she was looking sideways. (I doubt any pain actually occurred)

I expected to have the entire back side of her head in shambles, but to my amazement, the VLD's did exactly what they are suppose to do. Enter 2-3 inches and rapidly tear shit up.

An entrance hole the size of a nickel and NO EXIT. I was very surprised.

Question

</div></div>

Out of curiosity....I just read the entire 2012 S.C. hunting regulations....your right...not single mention of suppressors.....not one. So it ain't prohibited!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c_bass16</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Will Fennell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Red,
At that close range, and high velocity, did the 130 Berger exit? </div></div>

Interestingly enough, I've been looking forward to fill a doe tag a or beyond that range as well. I'm sending 210 Bergers at about 2925 (at 40 degrees) with surprising accuracy out of my Armalite .300 SAUM. (pictures, specs and a videos are currently uploading)

Had a doe present herself at 185 yds this weekend and I was too cold to piss around and wait any longer. Held 2 MOA up, 1 left for wind and sent 210 grains of pain just below the base of the ear as she was looking sideways. (I doubt any pain actually occurred)

I expected to have the entire back side of her head in shambles, but to my amazement, the VLD's did exactly what they are suppose to do. Enter 2-3 inches and rapidly tear shit up.

An entrance hole the size of a nickel and NO EXIT. I was very surprised. </div></div>

Head shots do strange things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the same vein, here's mine from this morning. It's a 130 Berger at 2935 from a .260, but at significantly closer range- around 60 yards. Double lung shot, so bullet performance didn't matter much, he went about 30 yards. KMW rifle, SAS suppressor.

IMG_0637.jpg
</div></div>

Nice rifle Red. What barrel length are you running with the .260? Like the idea of a suppressor for hunting here in SC, don't like the idea of adding 8" to a barrel that is 24 to 26". I guess it is the price you pay for a suppressor.

That one's 24", it's pretty long with the can mounted. My .308 has been in pieces since I got the can, I'll be getting it back together in the next month or so, but I had the barrel cut to 20". The OAL is more manageable for hunting with that. Bachelor Jack tried to talk me into cutting it to 17", and if I didn't still occasionally shoot matches to 1000+ with it I would have. For deer hunting a 17" rifle with a can would be just the ticket.

BTW, I LIKE hunting suppressed.

I'm waiting on my first centerfire can, a Wilson Combat Whisper, so I had Jered at APA screw together an 18" barreled 308 to run the can on......I can't wait!

He'll, I thought I was livin' on the wild side going down to 18"..... Jered wanted to cut it @ 16.5"!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Will Fennell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm waiting on my first centerfire can, a Wilson Combat Whisper, so I had Jered at APA screw together an 18" barreled 308 to run the can on......I can't wait!

He'll, I thought I was livin' on the wild side going down to 18"..... Jered wanted to cut it @ 16.5"! </div></div>

16.5 all the way. Love mine ..

Great shot Jim!
Now this wasnt a mile long shot but a Fox Squirrel in an open field at 230yds tickled the hell outta me!!!
DSC00173.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DougW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great shot Jim!
Now this wasnt a mile long shot but a Fox Squirrel in an open field at 230yds tickled the hell outta me!!!
DSC00173.jpg
</div></div>

You better have yelled it is coming right at us! Darn nice shot. Lesson learned... It is not ok to be a squirrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Houston Armory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TX is pretty cut and dry in terms of using a suppressor on game animals. </div></div>

It looks like that is going to be changing pretty soon, Cris. I have contact info for the TPW folks that are about to lift this restriction if you are interested.