• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Suppressed Hunting Questions

NateVA

Joke Understander
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Wilmington, NC
I have a few questions for the people here who use suppressors when they hunt. It'll be another 2-3 months (hopefully) before my first suppressors come in and I'm very interested in using them for hunting. I just ordered an Ultra-7 yesterday, to add to the 22 Takedown, Ultra-9, and 338 Ultra I have in ATF jail already. Needless to say I'm quite enthusiastic to learn as much as I can about different ways to use suppressors in my everyday shooting.

1. Which suppressors do you use for hunting and can you tell me a bit about the firearms you use them on?

2. Has hunting suppressed changed the way that you hunt or how you configure your firearms? Things such as shorter barrel length or maybe how you approach hunting.

3. Related to the last question, what are some animals that you have hunted with a suppressed rifle and how did that go?

4. When you're en route to your hunting location, is your suppressor on your firearm? Or do you minimize the time that it spends on the rifle to avoid it getting bumped and screwing threads up?

Thank you for entertaining my curiosity. From reading everything posted on here about them, I'm extremely excited to finally start getting mine in the next few months.

Last edited:
hunting suppressed makes moving the rifle into position a little more difficult. For instance, my 308 with 26" barrel would have been impossible to shoot out of a box or blind with a can unless I just stuck it out one window and left it
I cut the barrel back to 16" and with a 9" 30-P1 I get the best of both worlds. Other than that, I don't treat hunting any different. I use a can when I can because the ringing in my ears is so bad now I'm starting to take extra precautions. You got quality kit, so once you have a good zero you can expect (prove this) that your zero won't shift.

Been hunting with a can for years, will NEVER go back. Anything less than suppressed is uncivilized. I prefer shorter barreled rifles so suppressors fit just fine. I hunt everything with suppressors, from squirrels to elk.

wgswo3.jpg

2irn2wx.jpg

e8nwuv.jpg

egtriu.jpg

My boy is quickly becoming spoiled himself:

28u6uxd.jpg

553xix.jpg

And from yesterday:

23jpdmo.jpg

My guns are all short enough that I never take cans off, that saves me having to worry about POI shift and ready status.

once you buy 1 can - you will buy more. hate to shoot without them now. agree with Fatboy , its makes you choose a little shorter barrel . you will want an extra , just so your friends don't blast your ears out when shooting

I have started getting all my barrels threaded for my cans. I don’t mind the longer barrel, I just learn to work with it. I don’t have a can for each gun, so mine rotate. I sight in with the suppressor and don’t shoot without it. Only barbarians shoot unsuppressed.

Reactions: 260284
once you buy 1 can - you will buy more. hate to shoot without them now. agree with Fatboy , its makes you choose a little shorter barrel . you will want an extra , just so your friends don't blast your ears out when shooting
Holy shit that's a massive hog. What did it end up weighing?

I'll be choosing my barrel lengths about 2" shorter for the suppressors and had my old 6.5CM cut back to 18" to use as a more maneuverable beater rifle, albeit an expensive one. After reading the hundreds of posts on the Hide about how everyone loves shooting suppressed and you never buy just one, I now have around $5,000 in TBAC suppressors on order before ever shooting suppressed. I have no doubt it'll live up to the hype.

my 30-P1 on a 16.5" Winchester Stealth in 308. Comes out the same length as before the barrel cut. Still a heavy pain in the ass to carry, even w/o the can, but I carry in with the can in my pack and then put it on if I can use it.

20171214_201309-594x1995-237x796.jpg

didn't weigh him . took 5 of us to get on flat bed . lifted up with Trackhoe to cut head off. was 375+. got him NE Texas

I use my only can so far...A SiCo Harvester on my Rem700 30-06 with a sporter barrel cut down and threaded to 22". I leave it on for the duration of the hunt. I've only harvested antelope with any rifle, but have hunted elk and deer unsuccessfully.

I really don't notice the weight, but the extra length is noticed yet easily manageable.

Is that a 17 or 16? Any issues with the thermal?

Obligatory pic for suppressed hunting thread:
image.jpg

I have a few questions for the people here who use suppressors when they hunt. It'll be another 2-3 months (hopefully) before my first suppressors come in and I'm very interested in using them for hunting. I just ordered an Ultra-7 yesterday, to add to the 22 Takedown, Ultra-9, and 338 Ultra I have in ATF jail already. Needless to say I'm quite enthusiastic to learn as much as I can about different ways to use suppressors in my everyday shooting.

1. Which suppressors do you use for hunting and can you tell me a bit about the firearms you use them on?

2. Has hunting suppressed changed the way that you hunt or how you configure your firearms? Things such as shorter barrel length or maybe how you approach hunting.

3. Related to the last question, what are some animals that you have hunted with a suppressed rifle and how did that go?

4. When you're en route to your hunting location, is your suppressor on your firearm? Or do you minimize the time that it spends on the rifle to avoid it getting bumped and screwing threads up?

Thank you for entertaining my curiosity. From reading everything posted on here about them, I'm extremely excited to finally start getting mine in the next few months.
I am just starting to hunt with a suppressor as well. I have an Ultra 9 in ATF jail that will be used for hunting. The stamp might come back before rifle season this year, but it's going to be close if it does. I bought the 9 to maximize noise reduction, but a lot of people prefer the 7 because of the length.
I bought a Ruger American predator in .308 to go with it. It came pre-threaded, was reasonably light-weight, has a short-ish 18" barrel, and as a bonus is shooting sub-moa without modification.

That setup should be suitable for most places I hunt deer and elk. You may need something different, of course. Let me know how it goes.

hunting with suppressor so much nicer. no hearing aids needed. I have 2 different cans for long rifles and I don't want to even shoot any gun without a can anymore
I have cases long enough to have cans attached on most guns. I have silencerco asr mounts on all rifles so its easy to put on or off

Shorter rifles definitely the way to go hunting suppressed from box blinds. Unless you have a luxery 8’x10’ tower blind. Otherwise the length never bothered me. Considering how gunfire can push game out of an area. I like hearing just the crack verses the usual giant boom that echoes across the country side.

#1 TBAC Top of the line can. A plus, plus, service. They are local.
#2 I now carry barrel down when not in my pack
#3 Deer, elk, rabbit, prairie dogs, coyotes. P-dogs stay up longer, great. You can get more then one shot at the coyote, great. All other game hasn't heard a thing before they fell.
#4 Most of the time it is on the rifle. Only when I case it for transport does it come off. Case size..
Smart to get another one on the way. One is not enough.

1. AAC SDN-6. Built like a tank and bomb proof. Have had 0 problems. Currently mounted on a 16 inch LaRue ptobr 556. Using a NF F1 ATACR 4-16. That sucker is a hammer with 62 grain federal fusion. Varmits, pigs, deer, all have met their maker, very effectively, by this set up.

2. Really haven’t changed much about how I hunt. I can tell you now I don’t shoot or hunt without my can now.

3. See #1.

4. Honestly, my can stays mounted for the duration of my time hunting. But taking it on and off is no biggie either.

Attachments

• 43B3A48C-8D4F-443D-855E-A2E9CE2ECF1A.jpeg
    43B3A48C-8D4F-443D-855E-A2E9CE2ECF1A.jpeg
    600.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 1E5A9567-88BE-4D19-8E98-36A2806EC9E5.jpeg
    1E5A9567-88BE-4D19-8E98-36A2806EC9E5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
First off you will be set for nearly any caliber with all those TOP NOTCH TBAC cans. A buddy of mine has a 30BA and it's awesome. My suppressor sounds almost identical. The .338 ULTRA will be a can I buy if I ever get an AXMC.

Suppressed hunting is THE ONLY WAY to hunt in my eyes. There's absolutely no reason to expose your ears to even one unsuppressed muzzle blast.

1. I hunt with my Form 1 can that has same outside dimension as a TBAC 30-P1. The outside tube is titanium and threaded on each end. I run SD Tactical muzzle brakes which have threads on outside of brake that suppressor screws onto. I have a muzzle brake that stays on each rifle and I just throw the suppressor on whatever rifle I'm shooting. I use it on my 6.5cm, .223 Wylde SPR and my .22 LR (subsonic ammo has zero muzzle noise). I use an Armageddon Gear mirage cover.

2. It has not changed my hunting procedures but I am always hunting long range when using my bolt action 6.5cm with 26 inch barrel. It makes for a long rifle length setup. Storage and transport issues are mitigated a lot by my AICS folding chassis. I have a shooting mat that has a zipper and folds up into a soft case that also has back pack straps and various small storage compartments. I transport rifle in truck in that, then just throw it on my back and hike to stand. With all that said, if I hunted in ground blinds or tree stands where I was shooting under 100 yards I would want a 22 inch 6.5cm barrel to make the setup compact. A 16 inch .308 barrel would be awesome if you had a switch barrel setup or just a dedicated rifle like above.

3. So far deer are mainly what I have hunted. Fall 2016 I shot a deer at 404 yards with factory 129 SST ammo. It was a perfect double lung and expansion was great as exit hole on opposite side was about half the size of my fist. Some bits of that bullet were recovered while dressing the deer. Move on to fall 2017 and I shot a doe cold bore at 632 yards in the rain, fog and low light conditions. I was using a hanloaded 147 ELD-M and provided stellar results.

Exit wound at 632 yards from 147 ELD-M. Muzzle velocity was 2858fps and at 632 yards bullet is going 2038 fps and delivering 1355 ft lbs of energy
imagejpeg_0.jpg

You can hear the bullet impact the animal if you know to listen for it.

Both of those deer literally went straight down without taking any steps.

4. When transporting I just fold my chassis and leave my suppressor on with mirage cover and sling on as well. Rifle is ready to grab, unfold, rack the bolt and send rounds. My rifle with 26 inch barrel and 9 inch can is 47 inches long when folded. I check and make sure suppressor is tight each morning as I head out to hike to stand.

Here are some pics of shooting mat that folds into a backpack essentially. You will also see that I can transport my Sig Kilo 2000 and weather meter with tripod if needed.

20170829_202912.jpg

Unfolded
20170829_205622.jpg

In addition I would like to recommend some other equipment that will assist in being very effective in the field in not only shooting but observing.

First is the Armageddon Gear sling. When you learn how properly use a sling to build a proper shooting position you will be amazed at how much it helps.

Second is the Warhorse Saracen shooting bag. This bag pretty much does it all. Here it is in the field with the "utters" folding down around the flimsy front rail on my stand and providing a flat platform to position my rifle on.
20171113_072528.jpg
20171113_072813.jpg

Next is observation and for that I use a Leupold MK4 spotter with a mil dot reticle mounted to a ball head with vertical grip for adjustments and panning. All this is on a manfroto tripod. I would HIGHLY recommend anyone doing long range hunting to get a spotting scope on a tripod. The field of view and ease of use is leaps and bounds aboce trying to use your rifle. Some conditions will allow a spotting scope to show it's advantages. In my case when deer move all the way down at the end of the field you see above right against the tree line it is very tough to see and there are times when you cannot see them with your naked eye.

620 yards through spotter
20171028_155417.jpg

Setup in stand
20171112_080120.jpg

A backpack has many uses. Not only carrying various items but I also use mine as a shooting bag under my right elbow when building a position to stabilize the rifle. The other great feature is a rainfly. It rained ALL DAY the day I harvested the doe at 632 yards. My 147 ELD-M is fairly hot and I did not want any water in chamber. The scope is water and fog proof so I had no worries there but placing it over the scope provided good cover over the action during the literal 8 hours of rain.
20171112_153023.jpg

The Sig Kilo 2000 is an item I would say is some of the best money I ever spent.

20171112_094252.jpg

20171113_074923.jpg

Ranges everything I need and does it lightning fast. It was flawless on a range day where I used it to range a 48inx48in steel plate at 1604 yards and made hits on shots #2 & 3 on my first attempt at that distance with my 6.5cm and 147 ELD-M hand load. It's also a super compact observation device with 7x magnification and super clear glass. The AMR function takes into consideration the angle of shot and gives you the distance you plug into ballistic calculator or use off your range card.

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper
First off you will be set for nearly any caliber with all those TOP NOTCH TBAC cans. A buddy of mine has a 30BA and it's awesome. My suppressor sounds almost identical. The .338 ULTRA will be a can I buy if I ever get an AXMC.

Suppressed hunting is THE ONLY WAY to hunt in my eyes. There's absolutely no reason to expose your ears to even one unsuppressed muzzle blast.

2. It has not changed my hunting procedures but I am always hunting long range when using my bolt action 6.5cm with 26 inch barrel. It makes for a long rifle length setup. Storage and transport issues are mitigated a lot by my AICS folding chassis. I have a shooting mat that has a zipper and folds up into a soft case that also has back pack straps and various small storage compartments. I transport rifle in truck in that, then just throw it on my back and hike to stand. With all that said, if I hunted in ground blinds or tree stands where I was shooting under 100 yards I would want a 22 inch 6.5cm barrel to make the setup compact. A 16 inch .308 barrel would be awesome if you had a switch barrel setup or just a dedicated rifle like above.

Exit wound at 632 yards from 147 ELD-M. Muzzle velocity was 2858fps and at 632 yards bullet is going 2038 fps and delivering 1355 ft lbs of energy

You can hear the bullet impact the animal if you know to listen for it.

Both of those deer literally went straight down without taking any steps.

4. When transporting I just fold my chassis and leave my suppressor on with mirage cover and sling on as well. Rifle is ready to grab, unfold, rack the bolt and send rounds. My rifle with 26 inch barrel and 9 inch can is 47 inches long when folded. I check and make sure suppressor is tight each morning as I head out to hike to stand.
I actually just cancelled my pre-order for an ARC Nucleus and will start saving for a Desert Tech rifle today. It occurred to me that I forgot those rifles exist and it's a no-brainer for me to get one if I plan to shoot 100% suppressed from now on. That'll help solve the length problem.

Last edited:
Know your animal trails, know behaviors etc

KNOW YOUR COLD BORE SHIFT
20171109_170448.jpg

Practice actual shooting positions you will be using to hunt, laying prone is one thing but using a sling on a flimsy stand is another thing
20171109_141214.jpg

Stress yourself and shoot at distances you will hunt at and know what causes pulled shots.......see below.....those two gut shots are NOT acceptable in my book. Shoot until you know you will make the shot you will be attempting.

20171109_143908.jpg

Happy hunting and sorry I got long winded?